shape
carat
color
clarity

H&A vs Ideal and which diamond is better?

jpgas

Rough_Rock
The diamonds.png

I'm trying to decide on a diamond for an engagement ring. I know both diamonds have good proportions and we're just splitting hair.

But will the H&A diamond on the right be any different than the one on the left with a better Stonealgo cut score? Which do you think will have more sparkle?

I do like the idea of having a diamond with H&A on the cert but does it really matter compared to another ideal diamond?

Last edited:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone on the right looks more precisely cut. StoneAlgo and HCA are just cut quality estimators used as rejection tools, not selection tools.

Can you put these on hold and share the video links?

jpgas

Rough_Rock
The stone on the right looks more precisely cut. StoneAlgo and HCA are just cut quality estimators used as rejection tools, not selection tools.

Can you put these on hold and share the video links?

Really the right one, the H&A, is looks more precisely cut? Problem is I can't see the black arrows the black arrows from the top aren't as noticeable and I know the crown is a bit steeper for ideal

jpgas

Rough_Rock
Yes, the right one looks better.

Are these CVD or HPHT diamonds?

CVD, why? would that make a difference?

Sorry I'm still new to diamonds, but why is the right one more precisely cut? Is it a problem that I can barely see the black arrows on the H&A diamond? compared to the one on the left

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CVD, why? would that make a difference?

Sorry I'm still new to diamonds, but why is the right one more precisely cut? Is it a problem that I can barely see the black arrows on the H&A diamond? compared to the one on the left

The right one looks slightly grey, but it has a more evenly cut pavilion. You can see this from the black triangles between the base of the arrows in the left one. So I'd say the left one has better material but the right one is slightly better cut.

I don't think it's a problem that the arrows aren't black on the right one. That's mainly due to photography set-up.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I prefer the fatter arrows in the right one, leads to blockier chunkier light play.

Arrows are black because of obstruction by a black object. Arrows are grey because of reflecting a grey object. In real life they will be whatever color is in front of them!

jpgas

Rough_Rock
I prefer the fatter arrows in the right one, leads to blockier chunkier light play.

Arrows are black because of obstruction by a black object. Arrows are grey because of reflecting a grey object. In real life they will be whatever color is in front of them!

Thanks, also you don't think the 35.4 crown is a problem? I know it's less ideal but i'm hoping it means more fire. I've been getting conflicting responses from here and Reddit, they like the left more because 34.7 seems like safer proportions

Last edited:

jpgas

Rough_Rock
The right one looks slightly grey, but it has a more evenly cut pavilion. You can see this from the black triangles between the base of the arrows in the left one. So I'd say the left one has better material but the right one is slightly better cut.

I don't think it's a problem that the arrows aren't black on the right one. That's mainly due to photography set-up.

Thanks, I've been getting conflicting responses from here and Reddit, they like the left more because 34.7 seems like safer proportions

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Despite the indicators of very slight pavilion twist, I think the left one looks better...the right one has a dull looking center in the video, which may be due to some excessive digging.
Can we help you find some better options to pick from,based on your carat range and budget cap?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, I've been getting conflicting responses from here and Reddit, they like the left more because 34.7 seems like safer proportions

There are plenty of diamonds out there, no need to limit yourself to these two.

jpgas

Rough_Rock
There are plenty of diamonds out there, no need to limit yourself to these two.

Thanks. I have other options but I want to pick this exact carat weight because it’s the same numbers as our anniversary. So it’s just a small detail I’d rather have over other slightly better options

My concern is if the steep crown angle will affect the sparkle enough to not be worth it even though it’s a H&A. But if they don’t have a noticeable difference and have good brilliance and fire I’d rather have the H&A just to say I have one. But if the H&A’s angles aren’t complimentary and will affect the sparkle then I’d rather go with the safer choice

Last edited:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks. I have other options but I want to pick this exact carat weight because it’s the same numbers as our anniversary. So it’s just a small detail I’d rather have over other slightly better options

My concern is if the steep crown angle will affect the sparkle enough to not be worth it even though it’s a H&A. But if they don’t have a noticeable difference and have good brilliance and fire I’d rather have the H&A just to say I have one. But if the H&A’s angles aren’t complimentary and will affect the sparkle then I’d rather go with the safer choice

Can you buy both and return the worse performer?

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Gosh, I always thought we wanted a crown angle 34-35. @Kim N and @Dreamer_D , are you both fans of the steeper angle on the right stone? Does pavilion twist outweigh a steep crown angle? I admit that I'm confused now, too. :confused:

Also, I'm sure experts here can find other 1.83ct stones in your budget. Can I ask how much the stones are?

jpgas

Rough_Rock
Gosh, I always thought we wanted a crown angle 34-35. @Kim N and @Dreamer_D , are you both fans of the steeper angle on the right stone? Does pavilion twist outweigh a steep crown angle? I admit that I'm confused now, too. :confused:

Also, I'm sure experts here can find other 1.83ct stones in your budget. Can I ask how much the stones are?

The H&A is about $1600 the other is about $1200.

jpgas

Rough_Rock
Can you buy both and return the worse performer?

Yeah I could. I’m tempted to just get both and try ick the better one. The left looks like the safer pick but I’m always going to be curious about the H&A if I never see it for myself

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I honestly think jpgas could do better than either of these stones. The left stone's proportions are safer, and the material is better. The right stone has less pavilion twist. If an ASET image for the left stone could be provided, we could see if the pavilion twist has any effect on the light return.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah I could. I’m tempted to just get both and try ick the better one. The left looks like the safer pick but I’m always going to be curious about the H&A if I never see it for myself

Can you request ASET images for both stones?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

You want a crown angle/table size/uppers that work with the pavilion and lowers.
When you get over 35 the pavilion needs to get shallower.
40.6ish actual in the case of 35.4ish
They are also less tolerant of deviations within the averages.
Pavilion wonk or painting digging quickly hurt the performance.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You want a crown angle/table size/uppers that work with the pavilion and lowers.

Karl, what do you think of the cut quality on the diamond on the right?

jpgas

Rough_Rock

Thanks that's my main concern the steep crown and the pavilion not being shallow enough to compensate. I want a steep crown for more fire. The H&A seems too steep and the other seems like a safer steep with a more complimentary pavilion angle

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Karl, what do you think of the cut quality on the diamond on the right?

Sorry, not at my computer tonight to look at images close enough to comment on specifics.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
You said other possible picks. Want the PS experts to look at those for pavilion twist and such?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
jpgas let me know when you're online...I found the perfect 1.83 for you, but you'll need to move fast once I post it.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
RUN TO IT!!!

Screenshot_20240220-175556-500.png

Screenshot_20240220-175722-043.png

I saw this one earlier and was curious about the optics of it, mainly the paddling. Do you think it might be a tad dark in real life viewing?

paddling.jpg

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I saw this one earlier and was curious about the optics of it, mainly the paddling. Do you think it might be a tad dark in real life viewing?

paddling.jpg

Environmental reflection during photography is my vote, Kim. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results