shape
carat
color
clarity

H&A question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mocha

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, I was wondering if there was a visual difference between a hearts and arrows stone and a regular ideal cut round of the same size? And if so, if I was considering a half-carat diamond, would it be worth it to pay the premium for the H&A stone, when I could get the regular ideal cut and maybe a few points higher? Any thoughts?
sick.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
My suggestion for you is to go into a local B&M and see some stones in person. Hearts on Fire is H&A--check them out, they have local jewelers all over. Then ask to see a regular ideal. Or find an AGS0 or similar and eyeball it. Some people may see a difference, others may not, you may be the only one who can answer this question for your own eyes.
2.gif

Mocha

Rough_Rock
thanks Mara, I will definitely do just that
4.gif

dawei213

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 12/4/2003 1:37:17 PM Mocha wrote:

Hi everyone, I was wondering if there was a visual difference between a hearts and arrows stone and a regular ideal cut round of the same size? And if so, if I was considering a half-carat diamond, would it be worth it to pay the premium for the H&A stone, when I could get the regular ideal cut and maybe a few points higher? Any thoughts?
sick.gif
----------------

I am kind of struggling with the same dilemma! Although the H&A are truly a magnificant diamond, can one really tell the different in quality by visual inspection? I can get a ideal round cut for a slightly larger size, cleaner color and slightly less than a H&A stone. However, it is a H&A diamond we are talking about. I guess if you are only purchasing it because it's an H&A, it's like the same reason why some girls don't care what kind of diamond (cut/color/clarity) as long as it's a Tiffany. It's about the name... right now I'm struggling. I'm not going to get her a Tiffany, but I can get her a H&A. Oh the confusion...I'm
14.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just to clarify, H&A is not necessarily just about the name. It's about excellent symmetry which could corrobrate the 'ideal' terminology. In my opinion there is a different look between regular 'ideal' and H&A in person, but it's very slight and the difference may not be worth a markup to either of you
1.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,

My stone is a .42 ideal cut stone that is VERY nice and out of curiosity, I compared to to a similar sized H&As cut and was surprised and pleased that my stone was just as beautiful. My stone does have a few arrows, but not all the way around. I think I lucked out as it was a maul store diamond and very nicely cut (but a bit too expensive).

But, generally speaking, you have to look carefully at ideal cuts because not all are as good. If you're planning to get a half carat and shopping online, I'd sacrifice a few points to get a h&a, because you have a lot more info from many vendors to select an amazing stone, PLUS, it will have perfect symmetry. I'm all for getting the best you can, not the biggest!

Michelle

magna2

Shiny_Rock
Mocha,

Each diamond is unique. Just because a diamond is H&A does not mean it'll will automatically be a better performer than a regular ideal cut; and conversely... just because a stone is a regular ideal cut doesn't mean that it'll be less of a performer than a H&A diamond.

H&A is an indicator of the symmetry of the diamond's cut; how well diamonds perform still comes down to the relationships between the crown and pavillion. So you can have a great optically symmetrical diamond that displays H&A yet the angles of the crown and pavillion could prevent it from being the great performer that one would expect from a H&A. And while a regular ideal cut diamond may not display the H&A pattern, it could have the ideal crown/pavillion relationship for that particular cut and thus be a better performer than a H&A cut diamond.

Ideal cut and H&A are good starting parameters but ultimately it comes to looking at actual diamonds and your personal preferences. And, yes, H&A labeled diamonds typically carry a premium over a regular ideal cut diamond. Whether you want to pay that premium is going to up to you to decide.

rodent.gif

Chrisk327

Rough_Rock
its a matter of opinion. Cut is the most important for light return... H&A are generally better cuts... but there are good ones and bad ones. You can get a non branded stone to give very very good light return..

take a look, its preference and your eyes give you the answer.

derekinla

Shiny_Rock
Also keep in mind that many generic "AGS00's" and ideal GIA Ex/Ex's will exhibit a hearts and arrows pattern of varying degrees from "kinda sorta" to full on crisp "hearts and arrows". In fact, the AGS000 stone that I purchased for my fiance wasn't sold as a H&A cut but open closer inspection with a hearts and arrows viewer, revealed a very sharp hearts and arrows pattern. I also agree with the assessment that you need to see as many loose stones as possible. If the visual difference is minimal, it may not be worth the extra premium. Only your eyes can decide!
2.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Also, the H&A pattern is the *result* of an ideal cut, not just an end to itself. So I've seen many ideal stones that are not true H&As yet will show that lovely symmetry that leads me to believe that they'd probably show an imperfect but visible H&A pattern under the 'Scope.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
From what I recall, all round brilliants will exhibit H&A in some way, shape, or form and that also just because a stone is H&A does not inherently mean that it's an 'ideal' cut (or excellently cut). It just means great symmetry--the stone could still have faults that would exclude it from an excellently cut category? Right? Wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results