shape
carat
color
clarity

h&a price

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kenco

Rough_Rock
I have been looking for a ring for about a month now and I think I have found one. I am wondering if the price is fair.
I see diamond for cheaper, but not sure about the cut. the one I''m looking at is a hearts and arrow cut, 1.10 caret, I color, vs2. depth 60.6 table 56. it is at a wholesale dealer and includes a solitair platinum setting for 5,200. gia cert and lazer ingraved. do you think I could do better on the internet? thanks for a great site! k

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
You would need to provide more detailed information about the diamond for informed opinions. You need crown and pavillion %'s and angles, and girdle thickness to get input on the pricing of the diamond.

I find the price a bit incredible. I just got a 1.25 carat, J, VS2, H&A, set in a platinum ring, and the price of the diamond was more than the price you quoted for the entire ring.

Just a quick note about wholesalers. Vendors who sell to the public are NOT wholesalers. They are Retailers.
2.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Wholesale" or "wholesale price" or what not... these are just words. In this case, the price indicates that the diamond does not carry any premium for the cut.

Assuming the setting is a regular $500 worth basic model, this makes the stone a tad more expensive than a bargain priced online offering (the cheapest match listed here goes for 4k). Of course, no H&A in sight. I am quite sure that the stone offered is not H&A either. You may be paying 1k for two letters and a squiggle
cry.gif

The price would be consistent with a fair deal, if the ring is sold "second hand", otherwise, I wander why the seller would willingly make less than expected for the stone? Oh, and neither the GIA cert, nor those two (table and depth) numbers can prove that this is a H&A diamond. If it is, this is the bets bargain ever. Who, and most importantly, why, says this is H&A? Would you care to check whether this is true ? There is plenty of data in the PS tutorial about what H&A diamonds are, and, of course, you are very likely to get more feedback once more details about this stone (Sarin data, the rest of detail on the GIA cert, at least) are posted right here.

Hoping to help, of course...

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
The pricing seems consistent with some vendors in the LA Jewelry Mart. With enough hunting, you can find very good deals for your trouble. Now, whether the heart & arrows are 'perfect' is up for interpretation. I have seen many stones that exhibit this pattern without being branded as such. They have been beautiful, and the heart & arrows are just about perfect. Maybe not as perfect as some online vendors carry, but at that discount, who cares! Some buyers are okay with that tradeoff. If you insist on perfect H&A, then have an appraiser take a look at it and let you know.
10.gif

kenco

Rough_Rock
thank you for the replies. your right it must have wholesale price or a marketing ploy to get my attention. iguess it worked. i do have a little more info.
laser inscription registry gia
measurements 6.7 - 6.73 x 4.07
weight 1.10 carats
depth 60.6 %
table 56 %
girdle medium, faceted
cutlet none
polish exellent
symmetry exellent
clarity vs2
color I
flourescence none
comments: additional inscription H & A

this is from the gia report. that is all the information on the ring. I did compare it with another I color and it looked great. I like the ring and think it is a grat price. what do you think? even if it is inscribed H&A on the ring and it stated on the gia it could still not be a H & A. it has a money back so I might buy it and have it appraised. I tell you asking her to marry me will be a lot easier than buying the diamond! thank for you help. ken

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, one of those again...

The GIA cert just mentions that there is some inscription on the girdle, whatever it is. Having an H an & and an A laser inscribed on the diamond is really easy - but this does not make it an H&A cut, of course. If the seller wanted his name inscribed on the girdle, GIA's cert would have mentioned that inscription. This does not mean anything but a rather tasteless sales practice. If you like the diamond, the cut does not sound like a disaster (Ex-EX symmetry is good news, even if it does nothing to optics or anything).

You could probably find a better deal online, but if you like the stone... why not. Have you ever seen an idea cut to know what this stone is missing? There's always a worse cut out there so that a particular stone can be presented as a "good" one in comparison, but this is beyond the point, there's always a better one too!

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Chances are good this is not a true H&A. The price is on the low side. Probably like Val suggested. Most likely, someone laser inscribed the girdle of the diamond before submission to GIA. GIA simply reports the laser inscription in the Comments section of the Cert. None of the Labs grade for Hearts and Arrows patterns.

As far as getting the Hearts and Arrows patterns confirmed in an independent appraisal,..... The Arrows can be confirmed, but the Hearts can't in a mounted stone. Arrows are visible thru the table (top) while Hearts are visible thru the cutlet (the point on the bottom).

From the info you gave, the diamond is decently well cut and performs well to your eye. You love it and that's all that really counts. Good luck with the proposal!!
9.gif

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The G.I.A doesn't write under comments in their certs.anything to disclose what the stone is "ideal,H&A,Premium etc...That is easily done with anyone's request for them to inscribe anything you want , on the girdle of the stone.Now that doesnot make it a H&A.
For all you know it could be the initials of 2 people
9.gif
As far as the price is concerned I think it's overpriced by about $500.00-1000.00.

kenco

Rough_Rock
Thank you for all the informed info. I have realized that this is probably not a true h&a. I have been looking through the sites and have seen other diamonds with this inscription that do not carry the promise of h&a. I still like the price for the cut. thank you for opening my eyes to the dishonest "sales tactics" out there. I guess like anything else let the buyer beware. I'm still going to look, because I shouldn't give my money to someone that is not looking out for my interest. thank you for the valuable information. 2 weeks to find a ring! k

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results