shape
carat
color
clarity

H&A inscribed in the girdle

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Agent

Rough_Rock
I had an AGS certificate faxed to me on Friday. Their are some things that I just cannot read, so I will get them to re-send it on Monday. One big question: under comments, it says H&A AGSL ######## has been inscribed in the girdle. Does this mean that it is a Hearts and Arrows? The cut grade is an AGS 1 and I thought that it had to be an AGS 0 to be H&A. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Check out this PS thread, Agent. Nice Ice posted some very good information you should read.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/two-diamonds-cant-decide.6509/

1.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is very possible to have an AGS 1 that is a Hearts & Arrows diamond. A diamond can get an AGS "1" if the polish is AGS Excellent instead of AGS Ideal. Hence a diamond can not be a triple ideal cut BUT INDEED be a H&A. The H&A optical symmetry comes from the proportions & symmetry in the cutting of the diamond and not the polish.

If you want to see example of H&A AGS "1"'s I've scanned in a couple of these over the course of the last year or so. Drop me an email if you want to see an example.

Peace,
Rhino

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
btw, I would also add that AGS does not check for H&A patterns so just because a diamond is inscribed as such is no guarantee. It is wise to get it checked out either by the seller (preferably) or a qualified appraiser who is familiar with super ideal cut diamonds.

Rhino

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just for your edification. Here is a diamond we called in that was listed with a broker as an H&A. It's girdle is not inscribed like the stone you mention (and I believe from a different source) but was being advertised as an H&A nonetheless. What does this teach you? This shows you the value of buying from someone who inspects the goods before you drop the bucks as has been demonstrated on these boards time and time again.
2.gif

Peace,
Rhino

bogusha.jpg

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Rhino, we should call you Picasso!
9.gif

You manage to say everything with great pictures!
love.gif

The Hearts look like they had by-pass surgery. And, dig those ARROWS!! Cupid would have a hard time hitting anything with one of those!!
eek.gif

Agent

Rough_Rock
Would an improperly (or poorly) cut H&A be visible with the naked eye? Would the diamond lose brilliance? Would a bad H&A still be better than a regular cut with the same stats?

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade

----------------
On 5/18/2003 8:27:41 PM pqcollectibles wrote:
Rhino, we should call you Picasso!
9.gif

You manage to say everything with great pictures!
love.gif

The Hearts look like they had by-pass surgery. And, dig those ARROWS!! Cupid would have a hard time hitting anything with one of those!!
eek.gif
----------------
LOL ... that is too funny pq. Yea ... those are some extremely bogus hearts and arrows! I love your posts too btw.
1.gif
The supplier must have been drunk when he checked that stone!
eek.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
----------------
On 5/18/2003 8:55
6.gif
8 PM Agent wrote:
Would an improperly (or poorly) cut H&A be visible with the naked eye?

Yes depending upon the light condition. Actually softer light conditions or diffuse light conditions show off the optical symmetry more than direct light conditions do. Attached is a graphic showing an H&A vs non H&A in soft light conditions. The difference here though would be more obvious.

Would the diamond lose brilliance?

Most probably yes.

Would a bad H&A still be better than a regular cut with the same stats?

Yes. Take for example this stone which we recently scanned in ... http://www.goodoldgold.com/1_21ct_g_si1_h&a2.htm

It is not a perfect H&A yet it is more beautiful than most other G SI1's currently existing on the market.

Hope that helps.

Peace,
Rhino

havssnonid.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just for clarification the attached graphic above IS NOT of the 1.21ct G SI1 but a commmon cut quality vs an H&A. You'd be hard pressed to *see* the difference between a diamond with one small heart vs one with all perfect hearts.

Rhino

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Great contrast on those two "flashing" stones, Rhino. You can clearly see the dif. And, WOW, the arrows even in the super magnified pics from the link!
love.gif
WTG, Picasso!
2.gif

Agent~

I'll take you back to what I posted last week. Quote:

Hey Agent~

Based on the asking price you stated, $2462, you may have a big part of your answer right there. Price Scope Vendors asking prices for similar color, clarity, and carat weight diamonds are:

Class 1A cut - from $2005 to $2527
Hearts and Arrows - from $2863 to $3160

That would explain the pavillion angle at 41.1 degrees and an HCA rating over 2. At 2.2, the HCA probably had a comment of "Recommended buy if the price is right."

If the PA is indeed 41.1 degrees, this may be an example of what the experts have been telling us about. A diamond being marketed as an H&A that does not exhibit truly clean, crisp, clear patterns.

Unquote

Hopefully, you've had a chance to get a better copy of the Cert or detailed info from the vendor by now. Maybe you already know the true answer to that question.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results