shape
carat
color
clarity

H&A-grading by HRD-CGL

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yesterday, when watching Brian''s webinar-presentation, a question was asked about HRD''s grading of H&A. Brian in his answer regularly refered to me, as he apparently thinks that I am in a better position to answer this.

Now, as you know, AGS is our lab of choice, and as such, we personally have little recent experience with HRD. However, I do know how the system worked some years ago, and I suppose that little has changed.

Up to a year ago, HRD had a co-operation with the Japanese lab CGL, and one could get a combined grading-report. At the basis, one would have HRD-grading of colour and clarity. Then, CGL (based within HRD''s building) would grade cut in two aspects, finish and H&A. The highest grade of Finish is Excellent, and H&A would be indicated with a stamp, indicating either ''Hearts and Arrows'', ''Hearts only'' or no H&A-grade at all.

If CGL graded colour and clarity the same as HRD, both logo''s of both labs would be on the report. If there was a difference in colour or clarity, only the CGL-grade would be mentioned, and only the CGL-logo would appear.

Since a year however, HRD and CGL stopped their co-operation, and upon request, one can get a HRD-grading-report with H&A-grading. In the system, the grade of ''Hearts only'' has been abolished, so one gets a grade of either H&A or not. If yes, the grade is mentioned in the comments--section as ''Hearts and arrows'', and a H&A-logo is printed centrally on the report. (I checked this right now with HRD)

As for the strictness of the grade, this is similar to how CGL used to grade it. Some six years ago, I had quite some experience with CGL-grading of H&A, and I would subdivide their H&A-stones into three different quality-levels, of which the true aficionados would only call the highest level a true H&A. If this is still the case, I personally do not like this kind of grading.

Live long,

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Sorry I couldn't make this meeting. Things go round and round, though. I believe I asked the question, Paul became tagged with, and it was Paul's initial comments that caused me to ask the question. Still forward movement.

Let's regard the particulars of the grading lab, a paper tiger...

Date: 1/17/2007 9:22:58 AM
Author:Paul-Antwerp
Then, CGL (based within HRD's building) would grade cut in two aspects, finish and H&A. The highest grade of Finish is Excellent, and H&A would be indicated with a stamp, indicating either 'Hearts and Arrows', 'Hearts only' or no H&A-grade at all.
Back to Brian if he'd like to entertain the detail...but could there be a guess upon which, if any basis, CGL, would have regarded arrows as harder to achieve than hearts. Double reading may be required from above (I needed this), but that's the conclusion I read. But, in WF's mapping of H&A, it's all in the hearts. The read is not the same.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks!

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
First, many thanks to Paul for addressing the question: Although he is in Antwerp he may have contact with HRD as infrequently as we do.

Date: 1/17/2007 10:50:17 AM
Author: Regular Guy

Back to Brian if he'd like to entertain the detail...but could there be a guess upon which, if any basis, CGL, would have regarded arrows as harder to achieve than hearts. Double reading may be required from above (I needed this), but that's the conclusion I read. But, in WF's mapping of H&A, it's all in the hearts. The read is not the same.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks!
Brian answered as he was able yesterday Ira (I'm sorry you could not be there to hear it). The short version: We don't deal with HRD so we're not sure if your interpretation highlighted above is really what was being implied. Brian speculated on technical possibilities for you (crown to pavilion 'twist'?) but since proper arrows formation is a by-product of good pavilion faceting we can't pretend to know.

I think your best answer is Paul's explanation that the 'hearts only' grade has been abolished. Perhaps this was a simple matter of something lost in translation (?) Your best resource for a definitive answer would probably be someone at CGL or HRD.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The ''Hearts'' as graded by CGL are not the same as the ''Hearts'', frequently used by Brian. As long as they look like Hearts, CGL might grade them as Hearts, not Brian.

I have even seen instances, where the arrows (and I think even the Hearts) were black in the viewer, in stead of white, and CGL gave the grade. Which shows me the usefulness of a lab-grade on H&A: useless if not strict.

Live long,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results