shape
carat
color
clarity

H&A and Ideal-scope

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

melz

Shiny_Rock
I''m looking to purchase a Whiteflash ACA (hearts and arrows diamond) and have settled on a diamond. I would have expected the ideal-scope image to be perfect, completely solid red, but it''s not. It looks like it''s the next one from perfect looking at the price-scope website. Sorry I can''t seem to manage copying the image here.

I called Whiteflash, and they told me that the solid ideal-scope standard is the "classic cut," and that I was looking at a "new cut."

Does this make sense to anyone? It''s a round AGS "ideal" cut.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2009 11:40:22 AM
Author:melanie987123
I'm looking to purchase a Whiteflash ACA (hearts and arrows diamond) and have settled on a diamond. I would have expected the ideal-scope image to be perfect, completely solid red, but it's not. It looks like it's the next one from perfect looking at the price-scope website. Sorry I can't seem to manage copying the image here.

I called Whiteflash, and they told me that the solid ideal-scope standard is the 'classic cut,' and that I was looking at a 'new cut.'

Does this make sense to anyone? It's a round AGS 'ideal' cut.
Not really.

Can you post the link to the diamond, if it has one?

If not, maybe this will help posting the pic?

https://www.pricescope.com/forum/faq1/how-to-upload-reduce-pictures-for-posting-t41381.html

melz

Shiny_Rock
That was helpful, the ideal-scope image is attached. Thanks.

IS_AGS-10142105.jpg

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I'm looking to purchase a Whiteflash ACA (hearts and arrows diamond) and have settled on a diamond. I would have expected the ideal-scope image to be perfect, completely solid red, but it's not. It looks like it's the next one from perfect looking at the price-scope website. Sorry I can't seem to manage copying the image here.

I called Whiteflash, and they told me that the solid ideal-scope standard is the 'classic cut,' and that I was looking at a 'new cut.'

Does this make sense to anyone? It's a round AGS 'ideal' cut.
One point of order: Ideal-Scope & H&A Viewers are showing different things. Ideal-Scope shows cut performance, which is most important. H&A or optical symmetry is a measure of 3D cut precision...think of H&A as possible whipped cream on the more important cake of performance.
1.gif

With that said, what they told you is correct.

When a diamond is well-cut with normal indexing 'contrast leakage' (small symmetrical areas of white) will be standard. A solid red ideal-scope image is only acquired by indexing the upper girdle facets so their angular relationships are brought closer to one another. This technique was first innovated by Eightstar in the 1980s. Whiteflash produced a similar version of ACA called 'New Line' for some years but they're not common anymore.

Here is an article on their site to further explain it (more technical details in this journal article).

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks very nice
emthup.gif

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
On this site we get a bit 'spoiled' by ideal-scope images of great diamonds. As a point of reference here are ideal-scope images of average and poorly cut diamonds. Just some perspective to understand the high level of light return and precision routinely seen here.

AvgPoorIS.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/24/2009 12:07:47 PM
Author: John Pollard
On this site we get a bit ''spoiled'' by ideal-scope images of great diamonds. As a point of reference here are ideal-scope images of average and poorly cut diamonds. Just some perspective to understand the high level of light return and precision routinely seen here.

AvgPoorIS.jpg
Excellent and worthwhile point to make John, thank you.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2009 11:58:11 AM

I''m looking to purchase a Whiteflash ACA (hearts and arrows diamond) and have settled on a diamond. I would have expected the ideal-scope image to be perfect, completely solid red, but it''s not. It looks like it''s the next one from perfect looking at the price-scope website. Sorry I can''t seem to manage copying the image here.

I called Whiteflash, and they told me that the solid ideal-scope standard is the ''classic cut,'' and that I was looking at a ''new cut.''

Does this make sense to anyone? It''s a round AGS ''ideal'' cut.
One point of order: Ideal-Scope & H&A Viewers are showing different things. Ideal-Scope shows cut performance, which is most important. H&A or optical symmetry is a measure of 3D cut precision...think of H&A as possible whipped cream on the more important cake of performance.
1.gif

With that said, what they told you is correct.

When a diamond is well-cut with normal indexing ''contrast leakage'' (small symmetrical areas of white) will be standard. A solid red ideal-scope image is only acquired by indexing the upper girdle facets so their angular relationships are brought closer to one another. This technique was first innovated by Eightstar in the 1980s. Whiteflash produced a similar version of ACA called ''New Line'' for some years but they''re not common anymore.

Here is an article on their site to further explain it (more technical details in this journal article).
Am I missing something here? (quite possible, lol) I wondered if she had possibly switched what they said John, and that''s what confused me. As I read it, they say this is the NEW line, when it''s really the classic.

At any rate mel, the diamond is gorgeous, no worries!

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/24/2009 12:12:42 PM
Author: Ellen

Date: 2/24/2009 11:58:11 AM

I called Whiteflash, and they told me that the solid ideal-scope standard is the ''classic cut,'' and that I was looking at a ''new cut.''

Does this make sense to anyone? It''s a round AGS ''ideal'' cut.
Am I missing something here? (quite possible, lol) I wondered if she had possibly switched what they said John, and that''s what confused me. As I read it, they say this is the NEW line, when it''s really the classic.
Ellen, I read it too quickly. What you highlighted does seem wardsback.

In any event, the article I linked is correct and so are you; she is looking at the classic version.

Thanks!

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/24/2009 12:10:31 PM
Author: Lorelei

Thanks M''Lady. Now I need to stop being lexicdys morning this.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2009 12:16:45 PM

Ellen, I read it too quickly. What you highlighted does seem wardsback.

In any event, the article I linked is correct and so are you; she is looking at the classic version.

Thanks!
lol Thanks for clarifying John. I knew you knew, but wondered why you addressed it the way you did. So that, coupled with mels post, made me question everything I thought I knew.
9.gif
2.gif

melz

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone for the feedback, I really appreciate it. It''s possible I mixed up the two as well, as I didn''t really know what she was talking about. At any rate, think I''m going to pull the trigger on this one! Er ... tell my boyfriend he can pull the trigger.
emwink.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/24/2009 12:18:10 PM

Date: 2/24/2009 12:10:31 PM
Author: Lorelei

Thanks M''Lady. Now I need to stop being lexicdys morning this.
lol!!
35.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2009 1:13:50 PM
Author: melanie987123
Thanks everyone for the feedback, I really appreciate it. It''s possible I mixed up the two as well, as I didn''t really know what she was talking about. At any rate, think I''m going to pull the trigger on this one! Er ... tell my boyfriend he can pull the trigger.
emwink.gif
You''re welcome. And congrats, you picked a doozie!
30.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/24/2009 1:25:11 PM
Author: Ellen

Date: 2/24/2009 1:13:50 PM
Author: melanie987123
emwink.gif
You''re welcome. And congrats, you picked a doozie!
30.gif
Ditto, its going to be beautiful!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results