shape
carat
color
clarity

Gypsy! I found the readings for my wedding...

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey Gypsy,

I didn't forget about your request to see the readings that my students put together for me. They didn't know they were doing that. They just thought they were doing a regular writing assignment. :cheeky: Here's what I ended up using as a reading (well, two, sort of) at my wedding, along with the original post.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I wanted to incorporate my students somehow into the day, even though they won''t be at the wedding. I put these two "readings" together after I gave my second graders two writing assignments, titled below. I will probably do this assignment with my kids this year (closer to Valentine''s Day) and see what they write. I may add or change the readings somewhat, but this is what my kids did last year:

How to be a Good Friend

To be a good friend you could play with them. Tell them how nice it is to be their friend. Sending them a letter is nice too. Play with them at recess.

To be a good friend means to play together. If you have a fight, make up. Play together as much as you can. Give them respect as they give it back. If they do something you don’t want to do, DON’T DO IT! Follow these rules as I say and you’ll have a new friend every day.

If you want to be a good friend, show that you care. Treat them right. If you want to be a good friend, tell them you want to be their friend. If you want REALLY want to be a good friend, comfort them if they are sad or mad. Make them laugh, smile, cheer, and be happy.

Love is…

Love is when you care about someone. Love is when you stay close and have hope for someone. A way to show love is by giving hugs and kisses. You can also show love by giving flowers and presents and drawing pictures for them. You could also tell them how much you love them.

Love is being a good friend. It is also being a nice person. Love is giving and sharing too.

Love is caring, sharing, and being nice. Show respect to one another. Give to one another. Have a wedding and get married. Show that you care. If you give you will receive. Be nice and love. Loving is good and kind. Love, love, love, love is good. If you care and share, other people will care and share. Love, love, love – it is nice. It is sweet and nice to love. So love, love, love. You will thank me if you do.

Love is a feeling and an emotion. Love is a word that people can say to or about others.

Without love, no one would tuck you in at night. So everyone…love is when someone cares about you.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had wanted my husband's nephew to read it because he was closest in age to my students (who were 8 at the time). Instead though, we wound up asking my female cousin who was just beginning high school at the time. It worked out really well because she loves to perform, and she did such a great job reading my students' work. Their voices really came through while she was reading, and I'm soooo glad I included them in my wedding somehow.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
super cute idea...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POSTING THIS! It's our anniversary next week so this was a timely reminder.

I cried when I read this line..." Without love, no one would tuck you in at night." Still true, even as an adult. 8)

Thank you for sharing Zoe. This was a wonderful read.

Zunibaba

Rough_Rock
That was a wonderful piece! Fantastic idea in putting them all together, you're superbly creative!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Amy, Gypsy, and Zunibaba!

I love it, too, and it helped make the day really special. Gypsy, I *love* the "tucking you in at night" one also. When I first read that one in my room the day one kid wrote that, I teared up. All I could think of was how perfect that one was going to be in our ceremony.

The only bummer is that I didn't think to save the kids' original writings. They had each drawn pics to go with what they had written, and it would have been a great memento if I had gotten them framed. They were so cute! Oh well.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Zoe, these are wonderful. How innocent the world is through the eyes of a child! And how special that you were able to incorporate all your special LOs into your wedding ceremony!

I'm writing this idea down for my girlfriend that is a pre-school teacher and tucking it away for when she gets married!

(Come to think of it...it might be a great idea for something to do with our children every year as they grow older, and use them in a vow renewal or save them for THEIR weddings...BRILLIANT!)

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
VC -- Thanks! I'm glad you like the idea. It's something I know I'll always remember about our ceremony.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results