shape
carat
color
clarity

Gypsy! Gotta question for you!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey Gypsy! I haven''t heard any updates on your venue issues lately. Did you ever hear back from the new possible venue? What all is going on with that?

And how''s work treating you?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
HI HONEY. Thank you for asking. My dress will be here on Friday BTW. And I bought earrings for the wedding this weekend with AmberG and Rockzilla after the GTG!! Will post the earrings soon for opinions. I'm torn on which pair to keep.

Venue. Did a second tasting this weekend.

Pros: Met the chef. He was actually quite nice and eager to please. Chef made us feel better. Filet mignon was good, will pair fine with the also good mahi mahi for a duet plate. Hierloom tomato salad was... bruchetta not salad. We choose a different salad (the wine country one we liked at the first tasting). The Potato Leek soup was good... it was neither potato-ey or leek-ey... but it tasted yummy. He offered to make it without Bacon and with more leeks so it would be vegetarian, jewish, and muslim friendly.

Con: Um... another bride who also has Garre, was also icked out by the food had requested a second tasting (there were three of us). She was there. Apparently her menu was fogotten. Completely. Her coordinator dropped the ball or something. And well... it just reinforced John's concerns about the service.

Also our catering manager forgot the 'no pork' restriction we had placed on our menu... so along with the soup the filet had bacon. It wasn't a big deal, if we stay there we will have to just call them daily before the wedding and remind them about the whole bacon/pork thing.

Overall. I don't know what to think about Garre. Our DOC has worked in catering and events. So she is on the ball about that stuff. And if I tell her my concerns, she'll stay on top of it all. That's why I hired her after all. I liked the chef too. Their service expecially the last few weeks, their inattentiveness to details, that all bothers me. But now that I've tried all the food we're serving and have a decent menu ... I'm wondering if it's worth losing my deposit.

Alternate Venue. Well we got their pricing. Their exclusive caterers are too expensive for the market, frankly. The prices are 20-25% more than Garre and Wente both. They have a couple of policies that were only designed to line their pockets. It's just too bad because the owners are so great. We visited them again this weekend so John could see the place. But the caterer they contract with is just nutz on the pricing. John gave them a chance to negotiate. They said no. He said, okay, well thank you , but no thanks. Then they sent another email saying WAIT... let me talk to X and Y. And it's like... I thought you wouldn't negotiate. And they are three months out and the date is unsold. I don't think they are going to come down enough though. So I've basically ruled them out. Which is too bad cause I really liked them. But since we'd lose our deposit AND they would cost more... it's a no unless something dramatic changes.

Las Vegas. Oh... man. This is getting more and more tempting. Honestly, if the 11th rolls around, and Mom says to change the date because she won't be able to attend (surgery recovery might take 6 months)... it's Vegas all the way, and even if she doesn't say change the date and I'm frazzled it might be Vegas on our curent date... funk'em. The Venetian has been just AMAZING. And on of the restuarants we were looking at has just the best private events menu... affordable and I know the food is fabulous as we've eaten there. Plus they will make us a wedding cake and accomodate a first dance. If it wasn't for the fact that my grandfather won't be able to make it to walk me down the aisle. I would have just said this was IT.

Work. My boss is being SUPER nice. It's like she's a pod person. If it weren't for the fact that I KNOW she is bad mouthing me every chance she gets and complaining to anyone who will listen about my leaving her (three people have told me three separate reports of her 'poor me' rants) ... I'd swear she she's had a lobotomy!!! I don't care if she is being two faced though. Don't care in the least. As long as she's not causing me direct stress I just don't care.

I looked at some apartments this weekend. The ones in Marin are not looking like they are going to work out. So we MAY move into the city (SF) itself. We'll see. I may just commute for a couple of months too and see what happens. If we can find a house to rent, that may be the way to go.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
That sucks about the second venue, but I''m really glad that Garre is starting to look better. How is John feeling about it?

I''m not surprised, to be honest, about your boss. Basically I was expecting it.

And Vegas? I''ve been thinking that if something happens to my mom, I don''t want a traditional wedding if she''s not there for it. I haven''t mentioned anything about that to anyone. So I might just be bugging you about it...and everyone else who has gotten married/planned a wedding in Vegas.

Are you getting excited about leaving your job? When is your last day?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m kinda zen about the venue thing right now honestly. John is handling it for one. Two... if things don''t work out Vegas is just going to be fabulous, I know that. John REALLY prefers Vegas though. REALLY REALLY.

You are more than welcome to ask me anything. I hope your momma will be there honey. ((HUGS))!!

Last day is the 12th. First fitting of my gown the 13th. The 16th is when I start my new job.

Yeah, I thought she was going to be really mean. But then I realized that she has no power over me now... so its not fun anymore for her. Psycho.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay!!!! I''m so happy that things are looking up for you!!!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay! lol.

How is your mom? What''s up with you? DETAILS LADY DETAILS! This aint a one way street!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry. I'm slacking over here on the BWW board the past few days.

Um. What's new with me...

Mom is not good. She just got done with 4 weeks of chemo, so she gets a whole week off, but she doesn't feel good from the last batch, so that's the ick. My dad's birthday was Monday, so I made a tall chocolate cake (pics in the Cupcake Thread in Family) that he cut into when the rest of us were finishing eating. I've been trying to get her to eat as many calories as possible as much as possible (Snickers, Chocolate cake, peanut butter pie, cupcakes, cheeseburgers, chips and sour cream dip-whatever it is I'll try it.) because she's lost 25 pounds since February.

I had a bit of a breakdown the other night with BF. I have a tendency to bottle things up, but he can read me like a book, so he made me spill. Honestly, I'm depressed. I need to see someone about it. But I haven't done that yet. Anyway, no problems with BF, just everything that's been getting me down just came out.

I've been spending too much on sparklies. I bought a little somethin' somethin' from Artistic Colored Stones that will probably get here tomorrow, and an item for me and an opal for my mom from GemSelect (it's her birthstone) that might get here next week. Nothing expensive, just experimenting, and buying cheap stones.

Um. I've only bought one pair of shoes in a while and they were boring black pumps replacing my old ones:only in black. But I have my eye on 2 more pairs, it'll just have to wait for my stimulus check.

I've been glued to CNN and watching primary coverage but I stopped today. That's probably for the best. And I've gotten addicted to "So You Think You Can Dance" and I make BF watch it with me.

Other than that, I start up with summer school this coming Monday. I ended up getting an A in my hardest class last semester (Brain and Behavior) and got a GPA of 3.39 (A+, A, B+, B, C+) bringing my total GPA up to a 2.69-and that's amazing considering that my first term (when I was 18 and stupid) GPA was a 1.3. Not joking.

What else is going on lady?

ETA: Saturday is BF's birthday. I wanted to get him something really really awesome, but couldn't figure anything out. So instead he's getting what he asked for (a new school bag), some shirts, a cake from his favorite recipe that his mom made before she died, and some Reeses Peanut Butter Eggs that I hid from him around Easter (they are his favorite, and I figured I'd extend them out a little bit).

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Hope you don''t mind me butting in here, sorry if you do. Just wanted to say thanks for asking about the venue thing because I was wondering this myself! Man DB is crazy. Sorry to hear things aren''t 100% settled venue-wise. I am hoping this works out soon! On a side note, Freke I am sorry again for butting in, but I just wanted to say I am sending some hugs, dust, and prayers your Mom''s way. ((Hugs))

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you Sarah!!I really appreciate it.

And you''re not butting in at all.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Phew, glad you weren''t offended!
5.gif
I hope you have fun with your BF for the birthday! I love birthdays!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
No problem Sarah! (I have to admit I can''t imagine anyone getting offended by you. Ever!)

As for birthdays...I hope it goes well. So far its all about food. So we''ll see...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/5/2008 8:15:06 PM
Author: FrekeChild
Sorry. I''m slacking over here on the BWW board the past few days.

Um. What''s new with me...

Mom is not good. She just got done with 4 weeks of chemo, so she gets a whole week off, but she doesn''t feel good from the last batch, so that''s the ick. My dad''s birthday was Monday, so I made a tall chocolate cake (pics in the Cupcake Thread in Family) that he cut into when the rest of us were finishing eating. I''ve been trying to get her to eat as many calories as possible as much as possible (Snickers, Chocolate cake, peanut butter pie, cupcakes, cheeseburgers, chips and sour cream dip-whatever it is I''ll try it.) because she''s lost 25 pounds since February.

I had a bit of a breakdown the other night with BF. I have a tendency to bottle things up, but he can read me like a book, so he made me spill. Honestly, I''m depressed. I need to see someone about it. But I haven''t done that yet. Anyway, no problems with BF, just everything that''s been getting me down just came out.

I''ve been spending too much on sparklies. I bought a little somethin'' somethin'' from Artistic Colored Stones that will probably get here tomorrow, and an item for me and an opal for my mom from GemSelect (it''s her birthstone) that might get here next week. Nothing expensive, just experimenting, and buying cheap stones.

Um. I''ve only bought one pair of shoes in a while and they were boring black pumps replacing my old ones:only in black. But I have my eye on 2 more pairs, it''ll just have to wait for my stimulus check.

I''ve been glued to CNN and watching primary coverage but I stopped today. That''s probably for the best. And I''ve gotten addicted to ''So You Think You Can Dance'' and I make BF watch it with me.

Other than that, I start up with summer school this coming Monday. I ended up getting an A in my hardest class last semester (Brain and Behavior) and got a GPA of 3.39 (A+, A, B+, B, C+) bringing my total GPA up to a 2.69-and that''s amazing considering that my first term (when I was 18 and stupid) GPA was a 1.3. Not joking.

What else is going on lady?

ETA: Saturday is BF''s birthday. I wanted to get him something really really awesome, but couldn''t figure anything out. So instead he''s getting what he asked for (a new school bag), some shirts, a cake from his favorite recipe that his mom made before she died, and some Reeses Peanut Butter Eggs that I hid from him around Easter (they are his favorite, and I figured I''d extend them out a little bit).

No worries. I''ve been slacking too.

I''m so sorry things aren''t going well with mom and that you are trying to stuff her full of high calorie foods she''ll eat to keep weight on. That''s a lot of stress, watching every bite... hoping it translates to weight.

And hugs honey. I''m so sorry you are depressed, though I can certainly understand why with everything you are going through. You should see someone. Though I personally am an advocate of therapy and not just medication. I think the two work best in combination with each other. I''m glad your BF and you are okay.

I shop too much when I''m down too. It''s that few minutes of the joy of acquisition that makes you, for a short time FEEL something positive. It''s addictive when you are down. Be mindful of your credit, and your funds. But treat yourself to the thrill as well, right now you need the endorphin rush. Acstones has lovely stuff, I''m glad you bought a sparkly for mom. I hope it''s even lovlier in person that it is on the screen.

I watched "so you think you can dance" for the first time tonight and I have to admit I''m hooked! It was really good. I personally can''t stand Idol so I was surprised how much I liked it! The one woman annoys me (the one sitting next to the head guy) and I''m sorry the lady from Fame had to step down because of her protege, because I enjoyed her comments and insights the most. But I respected the decision and agreed with it. I''m excited to watch the season unfold!

WOW! Congrats on the GPA and grade acheivements. That ROCKS!!! Isn''t it amazing how goofing off for ONE semester results in having to PAY through the NOSE for the next three years. But you should be extremely proud honey! You are rocking!

Aww. You know sometimes the best gift is getting exactly what you want. I think your gifts to your BF sound perfect. You can design and print out a certificate for him for some cuddle time or ''free Freke watching sports without complaining time'' or whatever floats his boat too and add that to the bunch.

What else is up? My dress is IN THE HOUSE. No, I''m not posting pics this week. Next week is my first fitting and I promise I''ll have the seamstress take some pics, but the bodice is too big and I need to figure out with her how we are going to re-design it, and the beaded sash really just needs to go away before I post pics of it. I may not post the ''before'' pics right away... I may wait for some progress before I do that but I WILL post pics. Eventually. I promise. Netbride rocks though. I have to say.

Mom is flying to TX tomorrow to get my aunt, then they are going to the Mayo clinic for her eval so I''m really just praying my heart out for that to go well... whatever well is. I just want whatever is best for her to happen.

I decided to take a week off before starting my new job. It was offered to me by my new manager, because he found out he will be out of town the first week I was supposed to start. And he told me that he understands if I want to delay my start date until his return... so I took him up on it. I''m going to scrub the house top to bottom and start packing up stuff, preparing to move in a couple of months. Plus I really could use the down time. I''m feeling burned out.

I had a really nice day today though. I was negotiating a deal (last big one before I leave current employer) with one of my favorite suppliers. They took me out for a lovely LONG good bye lunch.

That''s about it. Cats are good. John is good. We''re generally fine. Just kinda waiting to see what happens with mom''s surgery. Then we''ll take it from there.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/5/2008 9:37:52 PM
Author: SarahLovesJS
Hope you don't mind me butting in here, sorry if you do. Just wanted to say thanks for asking about the venue thing because I was wondering this myself! Man DB is crazy. Sorry to hear things aren't 100% settled venue-wise. I am hoping this works out soon! On a side note, Freke I am sorry again for butting in, but I just wanted to say I am sending some hugs, dust, and prayers your Mom's way. ((Hugs))
Hi Sarah honey. It's okay that things aren't settled. I think they will be soon enough. Either we'll suck it up and stay with Garre, or go to Vegas. Either way, I'm happy. My uncle might even try to get grandpa to Vegas if we go there... so it might all just work out. Thanks so much for checking in on me.

DB is nutz. I'm counting down the days till NO MORE DB! 4 working days to go! And if I schedule my exit interview early enough on the 12th... it might just be 3.5 days.
11.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/6/2008 11:07:40 PM
Author: Gypsy
No worries. I''ve been slacking too.

I''m so sorry things aren''t going well with mom and that you are trying to stuff her full of high calorie foods she''ll eat to keep weight on. That''s a lot of stress, watching every bite... hoping it translates to weight.

And hugs honey. I''m so sorry you are depressed, though I can certainly understand why with everything you are going through. You should see someone. Though I personally am an advocate of therapy and not just medication. I think the two work best in combination with each other. I''m glad your BF and you are okay.

I shop too much when I''m down too. It''s that few minutes of the joy of acquisition that makes you, for a short time FEEL something positive. It''s addictive when you are down. Be mindful of your credit, and your funds. But treat yourself to the thrill as well, right now you need the endorphin rush. Acstones has lovely stuff, I''m glad you bought a sparkly for mom. I hope it''s even lovlier in person that it is on the screen.

I watched ''so you think you can dance'' for the first time tonight and I have to admit I''m hooked! It was really good. I personally can''t stand Idol so I was surprised how much I liked it! The one woman annoys me (the one sitting next to the head guy) and I''m sorry the lady from Fame had to step down because of her protege, because I enjoyed her comments and insights the most. But I respected the decision and agreed with it. I''m excited to watch the season unfold!

WOW! Congrats on the GPA and grade acheivements. That ROCKS!!! Isn''t it amazing how goofing off for ONE semester results in having to PAY through the NOSE for the next three years. But you should be extremely proud honey! You are rocking!

Aww. You know sometimes the best gift is getting exactly what you want. I think your gifts to your BF sound perfect. You can design and print out a certificate for him for some cuddle time or ''free Freke watching sports without complaining time'' or whatever floats his boat too and add that to the bunch.

What else is up? My dress is IN THE HOUSE. No, I''m not posting pics this week. Next week is my first fitting and I promise I''ll have the seamstress take some pics, but the bodice is too big and I need to figure out with her how we are going to re-design it, and the beaded sash really just needs to go away before I post pics of it. I may not post the ''before'' pics right away... I may wait for some progress before I do that but I WILL post pics. Eventually. I promise. Netbride rocks though. I have to say.

Mom is flying to TX tomorrow to get my aunt, then they are going to the Mayo clinic for her eval so I''m really just praying my heart out for that to go well... whatever well is. I just want whatever is best for her to happen.

I decided to take a week off before starting my new job. It was offered to me by my new manager, because he found out he will be out of town the first week I was supposed to start. And he told me that he understands if I want to delay my start date until his return... so I took him up on it. I''m going to scrub the house top to bottom and start packing up stuff, preparing to move in a couple of months. Plus I really could use the down time. I''m feeling burned out.

I had a really nice day today though. I was negotiating a deal (last big one before I leave current employer) with one of my favorite suppliers. They took me out for a lovely LONG good bye lunch.

That''s about it. Cats are good. John is good. We''re generally fine. Just kinda waiting to see what happens with mom''s surgery. Then we''ll take it from there.
I know how you feel regarding your mom. When my mom went to M. D. Anderson for an evaluation when she was diagnosed the second time, it was scary to hear what they had to say. I''m here for you if you need to talk.

As for shopping, luckily I still have some savings from working last summer, and then with the tax stimulus coming, and then financial aid in the fall-I''m doing alright. I don''t have any credit cards, only my debit card, so no credit problems by any means. I actually posted pics of the stone I got from ACStones- here. I know you have a little bit of a gem collection from scanning a few of your old threads-do you have a thread with pics of them all? (I wanna see!)

I was thinking that if the opal is decent (it was only $3-she wouldn''t want me to spend a lot on her at all) I might put it into a ring for her. She has lymphedema in her left arm, so it''s been swelling a lot and she hasn''t been wearing any of her rings (She normally wears an opal/onyx ring, and her diamond from my dad) because her fingers are so swollen. If it''s not nice enough, I might just go buy her a ring in a bigger size, and bug my dad for half of the $$$. She''s really not as into jewelry as any of us here, but I think she really cherishes it when she does get some. And my dad is not the jewelry giving type. It was like pulling teeth when we got her diamond. Lol.

I''m glad you liked SYTYCD (that''s a mouthful!) I got Dale all into it. He was sad that Debbie Allen won''t be able to judge it either. I''m really looking forward to watching this season. Dale even started talking about it while we were eating lunch. I was really surprised.

I''m really glad you''re taking a week off. I think that''s a great idea. I know how hard it is to go from one job to another with only a weekend in between-and it''s not fun at all! I think it will do you some good. Make sure and take at least one bubble bath!

I am SO HAPPY to hear about your dress!!!I do want to see pics, but I can understand wanting to wait to post pics. What''s going on with the Rivini? I still think about it. I think I''ll need a wedding gown and then a crazy reception gown. Heh. Dale says he sees me in white. But the Rivini has the platinum-so that makes me feel better.

How is the rest of wedding planning going?I''m glad that you, John and the kitties are doing well. That''s good to hear!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you for the offer. I will honey. Mom has a history of illnesses, cancer, lupis... so I''m a bit used to it unfortunately. The hardest thing is going to be if they operate on her out there. I''ve never been not there for an operation of hers. She always says I give her strength, and even when she''s deeply unconcious... when she comes out of it I''m the one thing she always remembers. So... I don''t know if I can go out there, and I don''t know how I can''t be out there? You know? She''s my momma.

I''m glad that even with the splurges you are being fiscally responsible. I ran up credit card debt when I was in lawschool and depressed and shopping everyday. My parent''s had to fish me out of it. It was embarrasing and eye-opening. I have some gems, but they aren''t in a thread anywhere. And actually they aren''t even here at my house, they are at my parent''s in a safe with most of my jewelry. I''ll have to get my stuff back, and maybe snap some photos. I love the green tourmaline you bought. I want a stone just that color. LOVE IT! I hope the opal knocks your socks off.

Its very thoughtful of you to want to get her a ring. Even if your dad isn''t the type... right now, I think it would be a lovely thing for her to have a new piece. Maybe a pendant though? So that she could wear it even if her fingers continue to have issues? Get dad on board and get her something nice. It will be a lovely memory for her, and for the two of you.

SYTYCD -- John''s not on board. But he DID say that it is much better than Idol. Of course he things that IDOL and Survivor are the worst shows on TV EVER... so really, it''s not that much of a compliment. LOL.

Yeah, I thought about getting my self a nice purse or something for a new job gift. But honestly the best present is TIME OFF. So I''m very excited about that. I''m not even planning on doing anything you know? Just house stuff. But its going to be really lovely. I''d have to go to my parent''s to take a bubble bath. Our bathtub was made by someone who has never taken one, or wanted to. It''s impossible to bathe in it without getting a neck cramp. I ADORE bubble baths though. Maybe I''ll just go to the jaccuzi here instead though.

Yeah, I''m happy about the dress. It looks so different hanging in my closet (in a big white garment bag so John can''t see it). The Rivini is here. One of my girlfriends is getting married next year and so when (and if) they come out for our wedding --- cat attack.... Got to GO.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB I''ve got a problem. Just got the laptopback and someone is not happy bout it. Guess who!

duncan attack gyps.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just so you can fully appreciate the extent...

duncanhally attack gyps.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh dear he did attack you didn''t he?

I know what you mean about being there for your mom. When mine was in the hospital she''d call me to come over so that a) she could get rid of my dad because they drive each other nuts when they''re around each other and b) because I''d help her with anything she needed and she felt like she could ask me, while she felt she couldn''t ask the nurses or my dad. So if I couldn''t be there...I know how you feel.

I think it''s great that John thinks it''s better than Idol and Survivor. I never ever got into Survivor, and I was addicted to Idol the first season, but haven''t really cared since then. (Kelly Clarkson is still awesome BTW.)

I had a thought when I read your post that I could just get her a chain to hang her diamond on so that she could still wear it. But the problem with any kind of necklace is that she doesn''t wear them at all (unless she''s going to one of my dad''s fancy but stupid ABA things
2.gif
). She really only wears her rings or big dangly earrings-which she would wear at all right now. I guess I''ll think about it some more. But even if the stone is only so so, and not really jewelry worthy I''ll still give it to her because I think its the thought that counts mostly with her.

Thanks for the compliments on the Tourmaline. I''m thinking of this setting (You have to tell me what you think!) but in 14kt white gold (I won''t be able to do anything with it until Fall when I get financial aid, but I want to be prepared when I get that check!) link

And I do have that other sparkly coming, but I''m realy not expecting much from it-just cheap (under $25) and fun to play with. If it turns out exceptionally, I''ll think about setting it. If not, I can just play with it instead!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results