shape
carat
color
clarity

GVS2 or GSI1

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I have two stones I am considering. Both will cost me the same amount with the trade in of my ACA.

Stone#1
WF ACA AGS 0
1.545 GVS2
Depth% 61.3
Table % 56.2
CA 34.5
PA 40.8
LG% 78

HCA 1.2 TIC x,x,x,vg

Stone #2
HOF AGS 0
1.624 GSI1<---eye clean, inclusions difficult to see with loupe
D% 61.7
T% 56.2
CA 34.8
PA 40.7
LG% 77

HCA 1.1 TIC 1.1 x,x,x,vg

The ACA plot is extremely clear. The HOF plot has more inclusions. I have mind clean issues. I also would love to have the extra size. Since price is not the deciding factor, what do you think?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marian, do you have the diameters for both diamonds please? How exciting!!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Both are equally good by the numbers. A draw for me unless you can provide the ASET, IS pics of both stones.

Else, I would suggest go with stone 1 as you have mind clean issue, it will continue to bug you.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/2/2008 9:29:14 AM
Author: Lorelei
Thanks, Lorelei! I must be
19.gif
for upgrading in this economy!!

Stone #1: 7.44-7.47x4.57
Stone #2: 7.51-7.55x4.65

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/2/2008 9:35:17 AM
Author: risingsun

Date: 10/2/2008 9:29:14 AM
Thanks, Lorelei! I must be
19.gif
for upgrading in this economy!!

Stone #1: 7.44-7.47x4.57
Stone #2: 7.51-7.55x4.65
LOL!! You are helping the economy!!
9.gif

They are both beautifully cut as I know you would find with your knowledge, so it is a bit of a dilemma! How much do you think the SI would bug you, do you think it might not be an issue to get that bit of extra weight, or do you think it might prey on your mind? I know sometimes it can be a big '' mindleap'' from SI to VS....

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
^^^I think I may need to bring in both stones and see them. Thank you for validating my thoughts on the cut on both stones. They both look great to me. If the HOF is truly eye clean and the inclusions are difficult to see through the loupe, I might be inclined to go with it. You are right. It is a big leap for me. So many PSers make this leap without having anxiety! I'm arranging to have the stones brought in and I will let you know what happens
23.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/2/2008 9:47:14 AM
^^^I think I may need to bring in both stones and see them. Thank you for validating my thoughts on the cut on both stones. They both look great to me. If the HOF is truly eye clean and the inclusions are difficult to see through the loupe, I would be inclined to go with it. I'm arranging to have the stones brought in and I will let you know what happens
23.gif
You are most welcome! The cuts are top notch on both so you can't go wrong, I will eagerly await the outcome!!
3.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
^^^I think I may need to bring in both stones and see them. Thank you for validating my thoughts on the cut on both stones. They both look great to me. If the HOF is truly eye clean and the inclusions are difficult to see through the loupe, I would be inclined to go with it. I''m arranging to have the stones brought in and I will let you know what happens
23.gif
HI:

Nice choices. I''d love to hear your IRL assessment of both--and deciding factors. (they should keep the stats hidden to see if you can observe the difference!
2.gif
3.gif
)

cheers--Sharon

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/2/2008 9:51:53 AM
Author: canuk-gal

^^^I think I may need to bring in both stones and see them. Thank you for validating my thoughts on the cut on both stones. They both look great to me. If the HOF is truly eye clean and the inclusions are difficult to see through the loupe, I would be inclined to go with it. I''m arranging to have the stones brought in and I will let you know what happens
23.gif
HI:

Nice choices. I''d love to hear your IRL assessment of both--and deciding factors. (they should keep the stats hidden to see if you can observe the difference!
2.gif
3.gif
)

cheers--Sharon
Hi Sharon~I''ve read on PS over and over not to let the plot throw you off a stone. I will try to look at the stones without a loupe or stats and see what I think. Of course, I''ll have them under the microscope before you know it! I will let you know how the RL comparison turns out.

Snarleyow

Rough_Rock
^^^I think I may need to bring in both stones and see them. Thank you for validating my thoughts on the cut on both stones. They both look great to me. If the HOF is truly eye clean and the inclusions are difficult to see through the loupe, I might be inclined to go with it. You are right. It is a big leap for me. So many PSers make this leap without having anxiety! I''m arranging to have the stones brought in and I will let you know what happens
23.gif
Marian,

I''m going through the same thing and I feel that bringing them together in the same place so you can compare side-by-side is the way to go. Then it''s just a matter of which one you like better. Perhaps look at both through an Idealscope or WF viewer to check out leakage and how well formed the H&As are. Hopefully you will gravitate to one over the other when they are side-by-side.

If neither "speaks" to you more than the other, I guess it comes down to size vs. mind-clean. But can you really notice the 0.079 ct size difference? Unless you carry around the loupe with you to use when you and others view the diamond, will you ever see the inclusions? If they are tough to see even with the loupe, I can''t imagine it ever to be possible to see with the naked eye.

Personally, I like the idea of an eye-clean stone where I can still pick out the inclusions with the loupe. My wife-to-be will never be able to see the flaws with the naked eye, but we have the security that whenever we take it to any jeweler anywhere we will always be able to know when we get it back that our diamond is still in the ring because we can whip out the loupe when we pick it up and see our diamond''s "fingerprints".

Good luck to you.

Snarleyow

"Hypocrisy is the homage vice pays to virtue."

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Snarleyow
1.gif
It's a nice dilemma to have! I currently have an ACA in my engagement ring and it's a beauty. WF's customer service is beyond excellent. I also have a number of HOF pieces. Also gorgeous. I wouldn't be considering the HOF, but my jeweler made the cost to me a non issue. I wish us both well. My cat is on my keyboard. Most difficult to see or type
5.gif

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How exciting - nothing better than an upgrade! What is the size of your current ering stone?

I doubt you could go wrong with either but am surprised that the HOF stone would be in the same price range as the ACA! I have a G SI1 stone that is completely eyeclean. The inclusions are not under the table area which helps immensely though. I''m guessing that AGS is pretty stringent on it''s SI1 grading (at least that''s what I found with my AGS0 stone) so that the inclusions probably won''t be seen with the naked eye.

Being able to compare them side by side is a godsend - you''ll at least have no doubts. Can''t wait to hear what you think and good luck to you!

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/2/2008 11:53:59 AM
Author: MissGotRocks
How exciting - nothing better than an upgrade! What is the size of your current ering stone?

I doubt you could go wrong with either but am surprised that the HOF stone would be in the same price range as the ACA! I have a G SI1 stone that is completely eyeclean. The inclusions are not under the table area which helps immensely though. I''m guessing that AGS is pretty stringent on it''s SI1 grading (at least that''s what I found with my AGS0 stone) so that the inclusions probably won''t be seen with the naked eye.

Being able to compare them side by side is a godsend - you''ll at least have no doubts. Can''t wait to hear what you think and good luck to you!
The HOF stone is much more expensive, but my jeweler is willing to give me the full retail value on my ACA for a trade in. I''m upgrading from a 1.234 ct diamond. The inclusions are pinpoints under the table that the current vendor has said are not visible with the naked eye and difficult to see under the loupe. My jeweler hasn''t seen the stone yet. Because of the prices on the HOF, he sells a lot of H SI1 stones. I''ll be interested to see this diamond and find out if it passes my own eyeball test! I''m nervous with anticipation
32.gif

honey22

Ideal_Rock
I would stick with the VS2, you sound like you may not be 100% happy with the SI clarity thing, and I would be hesitant to give away my lifetime tradein on the ACA from WF.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/2/2008 11:27:06 PM
Author: honey22
I would stick with the VS2, you sound like you may not be 100% happy with the SI clarity thing, and I would be hesitant to give away my lifetime tradein on the ACA from WF.
I''ll go one further, I wouldn''t. But that''s just me.

RS, the size difference in diameter is really moot here. I''d personally go for the ACA.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
HOF also has a lifetime upgrade policy, so whichever I choose, I can go bigger. I still need to see the HOF. I tried on a 1.5 and 1.6 some months ago and could see a difference in size between them, as compared to my current stone, and on my hand. I remember thinking that the extra .10 made more of a difference than I thought. I'm waffling, no doubt. Either the HOF will be clean or not. I'm seeing it tomorrow
32.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/3/2008 10:54:05 AM
HOF also has a lifetime upgrade policy, so whichever I choose, I can go bigger. I still need to see the HOF. I tried on a 1.5 and 1.6 some months ago and could see a difference in size between them, as compared to my current stone, and on my hand. I remember thinking that the extra .10 made more of a difference than I thought. I''m waffling, no doubt. Either the HOF will be clean or not. I''m seeing it tomorrow
32.gif
I will be really interested to hear how you get on Marian!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/3/2008 11:10:59 AM

I will be really interested to hear how you get on Marian!
Me too!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would get the bigger one but I dont have a mind clean problem...just has to be eye clean.

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
I would go bigger. The highest clarity I have ever bought in a diamond is SI1 because I always want bigger.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all the feedback. You all rock the house
2.gif

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
I made a mistake. I bought a VS2 diamond once but sold it to buy an SI1. Sorry to mislead. I can''t appreciate high clarity diamonds anyway when the price makes them so much less affordable. In other words, I don''t want to pay for something I can''t see, when what I CAN see costs so much anyway (settings, etc.)!!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/3/2008 9:51:38 AM
Author: Ellen

Date: 10/2/2008 11:27:06 PM
Author: honey22

RS, the size difference in diameter is really moot here. I''d personally go for the ACA.
Ditto! And since HOF are much higher priced, once you make that trade, you will likely be stuck paying MUCH higher prices if you ever upgrade in the future.

(Plus, I''d want the VS2, but some of you probably already suspected that!)

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/3/2008 10:22:14 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006

Ditto! And since HOF are much higher priced, once you make that trade, you will likely be stuck paying MUCH higher prices if you ever upgrade in the future.

Whistle2.gif
9.gif
2.gif

*waiting impatiently for the verdict*

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/4/2008 9:17:58 AM

Date: 10/3/2008 10:22:14 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006

Whistle2.gif
9.gif
2.gif

*waiting impatiently for the verdict*
11.gif
41.gif
28.gif

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Ladies! I haven''t left the house yet
2.gif
I''ll check back later
17.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/4/2008 9:55:46 AM
2.gif
I''ll check back later
17.gif
1237387oyy519k20r.gif

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
After a discussion with Leslie, I have decided not to bring in the WF stone for comparison. I know what I''m getting with an ACA, since I have one. I will be basing my decision strictly on the clarity of the HOF. It''s not the test I had planned, but I think it will serve. I will also discuss the cost of an upgrade. Thanks for the advice and I''ll be back with a decision--I just hope it''s a clear cut choice...no pun intended tee hee.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/4/2008 10:08:10 AM

2.gif
I''ll check back later
17.gif
1237387oyy519k20r.gif
You are one of a kind...you know that, right
3.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/4/2008 10:13:01 AM

Date: 10/4/2008 10:08:10 AM

2.gif
I''ll check back later
17.gif
1237387oyy519k20r.gif
You are one of a kind...you know that, right
3.gif
HI:

I''ll say!
17.gif
2.gif
9.gif
11.gif
. Good luck on your venture, Marian!

cheers--Sharon

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results