shape
carat
color
clarity

guys, what do you want?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jeeyun

Rough_Rock
Guys, what is your idea of a perfect marriage proposal scenario? Would you like to receive a gift from your girl? If so, what would you like? I ask because I want to surprise my boyfriend with a great gift for him when he proposes. (I know it is coming. We've talked about it, and we shopped for the ring together, but he wants to make the date a surprise.) I know not all guys are alike, but I do need ideas. My girlfriends have been giving me very girly ideas.
smile.gif
Ideally, I'd like something small that I can carry with me always until the proposal so I can produce it on the spot. However, he's a very no-frills man; he doesn't like wearing jewelry and dislikes metal watches very much. I feel a little like I am cheating by asking everyone here for ideas, but I am extremely starved for ideas.My best idea so far is to buy a reproduction of a medieval suit of armor--jee, where am I going to hide that?--and produce a picture of it to my knight in shining armor when he proposes. Is this a terrible gift? I am sooo lost!Please help me?

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Does he have any hobbies?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Excuse me... Garry! Jeeyun, Seriously, how about pocket watch? Exclusive pen?It's not necessary to be what he'll wear every day but something nice and memorable...

jeeyun

Rough_Rock
Now I have a serious case of the giggles.
smile.gif
Well, Cut Nut, I never thought of THAT as a gift. Besides, that would be a mutual gift. Unless ... hmmmm, not appropriate for this forum....
smile.gif
His main hobbies are computers and playing basketball. He's a software developer that dreams code and hits 90% of his free throws.I guess the suit of armor is rather extreme and/or weird. _sigh_ But pocket watches (too ostentatious for him) and expensive pens (loses them) are not his thing. How about I register a domain and put together an online scrapbook? Too girly?Thanks for the ideas, guys.
smile.gif

karenk

Rough_Rock
I think the wedding bands are a wonderful idea. The best one yet. Good luck.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Jeeyun, the idea of such present is to be memorable for a long time - ideally for the rest of your lifes...He will appreciate it in with the time even if he doesn't really want it today.Just my 2 c.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Karenk. Wedding bands is a good idea

Paul

Rough_Rock
Two ideas:1) High Price idea: If he loves computers, you may want to consider buying him a Pocket PC, like an IPAQ. They are kind of expensive, but right now there is a rebate going on, and you could probably pick one up in the high $300's. 2) Lower Price idea: Pick up some type of neat gadget from the internet, or an airline magazine, or some other source like that. I know I am not being very specific. By the way, what a really, really neat idea. I have never heard of a young woman wanting to have a gift ready when her boyfriend proposes. I think this is very thoughtful and unique. -Paul

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
I like the idea of the wedding bands unless you think he'll be particular about what kind of band he'll wear for the rest of his life.
wink.gif
Also, if you'll want to wear your band with your engagement ring, you'll need to make sure it matches well and that they will sit nicely together.I think the engraving of something special is a great idea. Is there a male equivalent of a locket with photos? Also, I love the idea of the scrapbook. There was one guy who posted that when he proposed, he also presented a scrapbook/photo album of their lives together. What a fabulous keepsake! Let us know what you choose.
smile.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Leonid and I have the ultimate nerd pen.
The Lamay three color very slick version - I have not lost it for nearly a year.
Do you still have yours Leonid?
Besides we have 3 times the ...........

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
I just remembered that I bought my husband a sterling silver keychain that I had engraved with his initials on the front and an inscription on the back. He liked it. Some men like money clips too - my husband doesn't. Also, my friend gave her husband a really nice clock for his desk that she had engraved. I think there are even some that can incorporate a photo.Hope this helps.
smile.gif

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Enjoy jeeyun
smile.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Sure I do Garry
smile.gif
My daughter wanted to take it to school one day but I said no!

jeeyun

Rough_Rock
Personally, I love pocket watches. They have an old-world charm and classic beauty. Useful. Small, but big enough for a nice inscription. I think I will sneak in a question to my guy about pocket watches to get a feel for what he thinks about them now (maybe he has changed his mind about them over 4 years). Thank you, leonid.
smile.gif
Paul, I thought about giving him a useful computer product (maybe a bunch of CL2 RAM). The problem is, he already has 5 computers, 4 that he has built himself (yeah, I know, what do you do with 5 computers??). He knows a lot more about this stuff than I do. And computer products won't really stand the test of time. I will go flip through one of those airline magazines--good suggestion. It might give me some good ideas.
smile.gif
Nerd pen?
smile.gif
Is it one of those gravity pens that you hold in a certain orientation to change the color? Those are so neat. Unfortunately, he already has a Niji(graduation gift) that he keeps stashed away in the case. At first, he did get a kick out of it, but now it just stays put away in a drawer.How about if I get a nice matching pair of wedding bands with a small inscription? Maybe we could wear them on the right hand until the wedding. He's going to have to wear a ring all the time anyways, so he might as well get used to it.
wink.gif
You guys are just terrific. Thanks so much. (I mean, what the heck was I thinking? A 200-lb suit of armor?!?! hee hee ...)

jeeyun

Rough_Rock
After some intense shopping, I've decided to get the wedding bands. (I did find a very nice antique pocket watch with a picture slot AND room for a short inscription, but it seemed like something better suited for display than actual use.) I'm thinking of engraving the rings with the date of our first date and leave room for our engagement and wedding dates. I was inspired by listening to some U2 last night, and thought of adding a "we are one" or "we get to carry each other." But I will have to check with the engraver to see if I can fit all of this on one ring. If I can't, maybe a nice nerdy infinity sign will do.
smile.gif
Thank you all so much for the feedback. Couldn't have gotten through it alone!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results