shape
carat
color
clarity

gut check on price from Bluenile

crosscountry01

Rough_Rock
I am in a bit of a rush to get a ring. I've had several friends use Bluenile. While i realize they wont always be the BEST price, i was hoping someone could provide some insight on this diamond to make sure it was a fair and reasonable price.

ideal-cut, G-color, SI1-clarity, Round, 1.40-carat Diamond

$11,950

Thanks!

crosscountry01

Rough_Rock
Here is more info... Thanks!

Stock number: LD02147005
Price per carat: $8,533
Carat weight: 1.40
Cut: Ideal
Color: G
Clarity: SI1
Depth %: 62.0%
Table %: 56%
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Girdle: Medium to Slightly Thick
Culet: None
Fluorescence: Medium
Measurements: 7.17 x 7.15 x 4.44 mm

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Numbers look promising. Medium flour brings down the price a little. Check to make sure it is not an over-blue, very slight chance that a Medium Blue fluor stone can have that effect. Also make sure it is eye-clean to your eyes, do not assume all SI1 are eye-clean.

crosscountry01

Rough_Rock
In addition, it has a 34.5° crown angle and a 41° pavilion angle. HCA grade of 1.8

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not buy it because although it gets a 1.8 on the HCA scale (under 2.0 is passing and therefore would be worth getting an Idealscope pic) - Bluenile refuses to provide Idealscope pics.

All 4 of those numbers entered into the HCA are averages.
Someone with one hand in boiling water and the other in ice feels, on average, fine.
Only IS images reveal the full truth about the diamond's cut.

I'd keep shopping, unless you want to buy it and an Idealscope and return the diamond if the Idealscope reveals problems.

Here's how to select a well-cut round diamond.
You've done step one but not step two.

Step 1:
Get the following four numbers from the lab report and enter them into the HCA (Holloway Cut Advisor):

Depth %
Table %
Crown angle in degrees
Pavilion angle in degrees

Here's a link to the HCA: https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca

Reject rounds that score over 2.0.

Step 2:
If it scores under 2.0 the next step is to get an Idealscope image. https://www.pricescope.com/tools/ideal-scope

Compare it to this reference chart: http://www.ideal-scope.com/1.using_reference_chart.asp

00321.jpg

crosscountry01

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your help. I think i am going to order it. With the 30 day return policy i can always send back if its not eye clean - thoughts?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
crosscountry01|1310423470|2966800 said:
Thanks for your help. I think i am going to order it. With the 30 day return policy i can always send back if its not eye clean - thoughts?

Yes, order an Idealscope to ensure the diamond performs well. ( The cost is insignificant compared to the diamond and and the value of what it can tell you.)
Please re-read my above post because I edited.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I know that diamond is the best priced in its size range, so I can see why you want to take a chance on it. I would heed Kenny's advice and purchase an Idealscope for $25 plus shipping. If it does not turn out to be an ideal cut, I would return it because I think you're spending far too much money to not have an Ideal cut diamond. but that's just my opinion.

http://www.ideal-scope.com/

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks. You just made me spend US$117 of my money. No wait, that's $137 including shipping. Yay! New toy!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
TristanC|1310462793|2967050 said:
Thanks. You just made me spend US$117 of my money. No wait, that's $137 including shipping. Yay! New toy!
New cut geek alert! :D

You can get a great stone at bn, just have to do your own evaluation. You can send it to a ps appraiser to get is pics etc too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results