shape
carat
color
clarity

Guns in the home?

Do you have a gun or guns in your household?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No but plan to or consideing it for the future

• Other

• Just show me results

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2009 4:56:42 PM
Author: HopeDream
I can understand a gun for hunting, I can understand owning a gun for the challenge of target practice and the community of belonging to a gun club. I can understand holding a gun in the service of your countrie''s military, or as a police officer.

But living every day with the fear that someone is going to break into your home and threaten you?

Wow!

I don''t want to live where you live if this is such a real possibility that you own a gun for the purposes of shooting/threatening another human being.

Do you realy expect that one day you will have to shoot another person? (because if the assailant doesn''t back down, then that''s what will happen).

What if the house-breaker has a gun too?

I have no argument for or against owning guns, I''m just curious about this reality of absolute fear.

We actually has an attempted break in a few months back... We locked ourselves in the bedroom and got out the gun. I called 911 and DH was ready- if ANYONE made an attempt to come up our stairs, they wouldn''t have made it past the landing. Of course, I hollered downstairs to whomever may have been in the house that we were armed and would shoot, so if they chose to come upstairs, that''s their poor decision making.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/13/2009 7:45:49 PM
Author: packrat
I don''t think anyone who has guns for personal defense and safety is jumping at shadows and walking on eggshells that someone is going to harm them. It''s the possibility. I don''t spend my life freaking out at every little noise (well, unless I''ve been up reading about serial killers or ghosts), and thinking there''s someone just waiting outside my door to burst in and torture and murder us all.

The fact of the matter is there''s always a *chance* it could happen, so we want to be aware and able to defend ourselves *if* something did happen. If it doesn''t, fine perfect spectacular. But, I don''t want to skip thru life assuming nothing bad is ever in a million years going to happen forever and ever and tra la la the day away. A lot of things happen that shouldn''t, and I think it''s just smart to be aware and educated. If someone were to break into my house, I would assume he didn''t need to use the phone or borrow a cup of sugar. I would assume he came there with intent to harm, and in that case, I would very much like to have him be met by my husband holding a gun in his hands.

If someone were trying to harm my children, and I had a gun, I would use it. If someone was trying to harm someone else''s children and I had a gun, I would use it.

Agreed. I don''t carry my weapon for looks. Some think that gun owners think of nothing but pulling trigger but that couldn''t be further from the truth.

I had to pull my weapon one time. I was alone at night in Boston and going to my car. I was being followed and knew it because I was going to my car in such a way so that I could see who was behind me, it was the same guy. Once I got up to my level I knew that guy was up to no good because my car was the only one on that level. I turned around with my weapon ready. My weapon is not small, its not cute, and its got a big hole at the business end. Once he saw my weapon he split.

And had that bastard kept coming toward me I would have fired.

I don''t even want to imagine what would have happened if I had not had means to protect myself.

-A

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
We do not have anything stronger than a BB gun and I don''t consider that a gun really. I would like to get one, but DH insists that I do not need it. He is not a hunter or anything and we do not require a gun. I clearly am not against them and neither is DH. We just don''t have one.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Yes, we have guns in our home. Pistols and rifles.

But, only one pistol is loaded. It is kept in a place where we can get to it if needed. I do have an argument against that, but that discussion I guess is for another time.

I can shoot and well. I grew up around guns, my dad hunted and my husband hunts, though not much these days. He also shoots skeet. We have antique replica gus in his study, antique swords, framed. My husband loves antique rifles.

Allowing guns on university grounds - crazy.
I do believe in the right own guns, but I also hope the screening process to buy one gets a heck of a lot tougher.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can understand a gun for hunting, I can understand owning a gun for the challenge of target practice and the community of belonging to a gun club. I can understand holding a gun in the service of your countrie''s military, or as a police officer.

But living every day with the fear that someone is going to break into your home and threaten you?
Wow!
I don''t want to live where you live if this is such a real possibility that you own a gun for the purposes of shooting/threatening another human being.

Do you realy expect that one day you will have to shoot another person? (because if the assailant doesn''t back down, then that''s what will happen).

I have no argument for or against owning guns, I''m just curious about this reality of absolute fear.

Hope:

Unfortunately, yes.

There are several levels of threat that can occur.

1) Totally random. Bad duds are out there and you just drew the short straw.... This is probably the least likely of the situations - but it does happen enough in certain parts of the country that some people feel they need to have protection.

2) You are in a target group. Certain groups of people get targeted for certain kinds of crime and assult. This applies to certain business owners and a variety of public officials and other public figures. A large number of people in these positions have concealed carry permits - and their rate of usage is higher than in group 1.

3) A specific target. Someone is very specifically out for you. I was the subject of such a situation. In my case the police actually interviewed the "suspect" for about 3 hours - and he stated over and over he was going to kill me. There is nothing illegle about making a threat (at least there was not at that time) and he appeared sane - so the cops had to release him.

As a summary: Lets just say that I successfully avoided a gunfight over the next 3-4 years, it prevented me from getting a steady job, cost me at least $50,000 (and totally wiped out my savings and retirement fund), caused health issues, etc. At its peak I was sleeping with a loaded gun in condition 1 in my hand on my chest - and moving every several weeks (with very minimal belongings). I pushed everyone away from me as well as I did not want them involved in a gunfight (and a nice gal I could have married at the time was one of them). I was in situations where I actually thought I would end up in that gunfight and I was ready and set to shoot if the door did not hold. For about 3 years I was virtually never more than 3 ft away from my handgun.

To this day, I do not know what became of that guy (if I were ever to look - and something happened then I would have shown intent and I could be charged). While it is not an active threat. I do have to consider that perhaps this person will show up in my life again (perhaps he is in prison and will get out someday and restart).

Why did all of this happen: Well there are nuts out there - and one worked in a plant that was closed in 1990. I was the plant Superintendent. I lost my job too. It was not my decission - and I did everything I could to keep the plant open (and I had a viable solution - when I was told that the future of the plant was not my concern by my Manager). But some people have to blame someone. I was it....

As far as what if the house breaker has a gun too (or the attacker). Then the odds are roughly even. I never figured I''d survive scot free in a shooting - and would likely be injured. But I figure that the other person is going to be injured as well.

I should point out that if the housebreaker has a gun - then you must face the fact that there is a good chance that they intend to kill you and your family. If you have a gun, and know how to use it, - you have a chance.

I wish no one else ever has to go through what I did; but, I know it happens.

Perry

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2009 1:19:46 AM
Author: neatfreak
No way. Too dangerous with kids around and you''re more likely to have one of your household members killed or hurt than use it on an intruder.

That pretty much sums up my feelings on the issue.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2009 4:27:28 PM
Author: junebug17
Date: 12/13/2009 1:31:47 PM

Author: audball

Date: 12/13/2009 10:51:12 AM

Author: diamondrnglover

We have many guns in our house, my husband collects guns and knives like I do jewerly, however, we do have a gun safe and everything is locked up nice and tight.

This. When we first met, I was scared of them (due to lack of interaction/experience). When he got his CWP, he said I didn't have to like it, but that I needed to attend the gun safety class with him so that I would know what to do to disarm/fire/use one properly. The class required shooting over 250 rounds on top of 8 hours of class-time about safety and laws. The first shot I was TERRIFIED, shaking I was so scared. After the first magazine (10 rounds in that gun), I looked to my right (the lane where my SO was shooting) with the largest smile on my face. I'd overcome it, and come to find out, I'm a damn good shot. It was empowering to not be afraid of it anymore. We are not both CWP holders who exercise our 2nd amendment rights to their full extent.

All the issues about children and blah blah blah can all be handled if you do it responsibly. Gun safes are important for when you're not home or you're going to be somewhere where it is illegal to carry (ie: schools/universities, court, post office, etc). Second, children are smarter than you'd think if you tell them about it instead of pretending they don't exist. Kids are smart, but they're also curious. If you curb they're curiosity, they won't think twice about it. My SO's cousin is 4 years old. Both of her parents are in law enforcement and her father is VERY into collecting all types of guns, but especially sniper rifles (former military). She is 4 years old, knows what they are, how to fully disarm them, how to shoot them, which end is the 'bad end', how to lock them, it's unbelievable. I'd rather my kid know what to do with them than be curious when they come across one in someone else's house who isn't responsible and have an accident happen. Instead she can handle the situation, yes, even at 4. Also, no gun should be left unattended (off your person) if you are around any person under 18 years old. Period. If it can't be on you, it shouldn't be with you at the moment.

ETA: I think you can find statistics to say anything you want them to say. On both sides.
Children dying from accidental shootings can be described as 'blah blah blah'? And as responsible as you are with guns, unfortunately there are many people out there who aren't. And quite frankly, I think it is absurd that somone could place a gun in the hands of a four year old. Why in God's name is this necessary?Is it even legal? Why run the risk of an accident with someone so young? And as precocious as some children may be with guns, that doesn't guarantee that a child won't handle a gun unsafely if found in someone else's home. In fact, said child may want to show off her 'skills' to the other child. Children, as advanced as some may be, are still children and will behave as such.

I'll agree with you on one thing: it's unbelievable.
junebug--'blah blah blah' was not meant in a negative way and I'm sorry if that's how you took it. It was my way of stating all the excuses from children to I'm not scared enough or whatever aren't good reasons for not having a gun. I just don't believe that having children in a home is a reason to not have a gun. On the contrary, I think it's one of the best reasons to own one and know how to use it. Defending your family is important, I am simply choosing not to be a victim. SO and I have only been in way situation where it was necessary to brandish a weapon, and it saved us from God knows what the two men who approached us would have done in that parking lot. I think it's tragic that children are killed in accidental shootings, but I think it can be avoided more often than not if children are taught about weapons and to respect them. If you dampen their curiosity about them, it can do wonders. As far as our young cousin, yes, with the number of guns in their house, it was necessary for her to know what they are and not to play with them. All the learning about them was done unarmed. She was taught, and with good reason, not to touch them without supervision and permission from the adults and would know to walk away if she were to come across one in someone else's home, not be a 'show off' as you put it. She was taught that they are not toys.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2009 8:20:35 PM
Author: Arcadian
Date: 12/13/2009 7:45:49 PM

Author: packrat

I don''t think anyone who has guns for personal defense and safety is jumping at shadows and walking on eggshells that someone is going to harm them. It''s the possibility. I don''t spend my life freaking out at every little noise (well, unless I''ve been up reading about serial killers or ghosts), and thinking there''s someone just waiting outside my door to burst in and torture and murder us all.

The fact of the matter is there''s always a *chance* it could happen, so we want to be aware and able to defend ourselves *if* something did happen. If it doesn''t, fine perfect spectacular. But, I don''t want to skip thru life assuming nothing bad is ever in a million years going to happen forever and ever and tra la la the day away. A lot of things happen that shouldn''t, and I think it''s just smart to be aware and educated. If someone were to break into my house, I would assume he didn''t need to use the phone or borrow a cup of sugar. I would assume he came there with intent to harm, and in that case, I would very much like to have him be met by my husband holding a gun in his hands.

If someone were trying to harm my children, and I had a gun, I would use it. If someone was trying to harm someone else''s children and I had a gun, I would use it.

Agreed. I don''t carry my weapon for looks. Some think that gun owners think of nothing but pulling trigger but that couldn''t be further from the truth.

I had to pull my weapon one time. I was alone at night in Boston and going to my car. I was being followed and knew it because I was going to my car in such a way so that I could see who was behind me, it was the same guy. Once I got up to my level I knew that guy was up to no good because my car was the only one on that level. I turned around with my weapon ready. My weapon is not small, its not cute, and its got a big hole at the business end. Once he saw my weapon he split.

And had that bastard kept coming toward me I would have fired.

I don''t even want to imagine what would have happened if I had not had means to protect myself.

-A
This is why people should be armed, not because we ''live in constant fear of being attacked or threatened, even in our own homes''. It''s about being aware, cautious, and choosing not to be a victim by learning to protect yourself. WTG Arcadian.

katamari

Ideal_Rock
I am unwilling to take someone''s life under any circumstance. For this reason, I would never have a gun in my home simply for the purpose of home invasion or protection. None of my possessions are worth living with the fact that I took someone''s life (or even was willing to).

Neither me nor my DH do any sort of shooting for recreation or leisure. If DH would decide to take up skeet or hunting, I would be okay with him buying a gun. But, I would make him keep it in a safety deposit box. It would not be in our home.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2009 10:35:59 PM
Author: katamari
I am unwilling to take someone''s life under any circumstance. For this reason, I would never have a gun in my home simply for the purpose of home invasion or protection. None of my possessions are worth living with the fact that I took someone''s life (or even was willing to).

Neither me nor my DH do any sort of shooting for recreation or leisure. If DH would decide to take up skeet or hunting, I would be okay with him buying a gun. But, I would make him keep it in a safety deposit box. It would not be in our home.

Are you saying that if someone was pointing a gun at your child or loved one you would not kill that person? I don''t get that. I''d do it in a heartbeat.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
No.

A few years back I had a .22 inside of my safe, but after we moved, I got rid of it.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Nope, never have, never will. Too dangerous with kids. And even when my kids grow up, I will never own a gun.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2009 3:33:42 PM
Author: movie zombie

Date: 12/13/2009 3:22:31 PM
Author: loriken214
My late mom had her concealed handgun license and I''ve grown up around guns all of my life. You bet I''ve got a gun. I recently sold my S&W 38 revolver and will buy a Glock 40 soon. This is for household protection.

DH doesn''t like guns and has no clue what to do with one, but I''m ready. Crime is rampant these days and I''m not going down easily....go ahead, make my day!
27.gif

Lori
lori,

my hubby is australian and is conflicted re guns....not sure he''s for private ownership but he''s shot ak-47''s in oklahoma with a friend!

however, when a felon had a shoot out with the sheriff just over the hill top and we got daily reverse 911 calls concerning said felon being armed and dangerous and still in the area, hubby was vocal about it was time for me to arm up. what i had was hardly adequate...... not the case now!

wish i could get a conceal carry here in california...sigh. sorry you sold your s&w .38........ a woman can never have to many pairs of shoes, purses, rings, or pistols.

mz
Hi mz!
35.gif

I have SLE Lupus and my hands hurt all of the time. The revolver was a burden to clean and I decided to go with something much easier to handle. We have other guns in the house, as well....much larger guns!

We live in Katy, TX and just about everyone I know has at least ONE gun. I''m not a hunter, but I WILL have a gun at all times in my home.

My mom used to carry her pistol all of the time. My dad worked nights and my brother and I were always taught how to respect mom''s gun. We knew where it was and how to handle it. Mom used to sleep with it under her pillow!

I asked a female Constable what kind of gun she carried and it was a Glock 40. She said it was a great gun for home protection.

Lori

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Perry thank you for sharing your experience.

I''m glad you are still whole and with us. I hope that the rest of your life you are safe and secure.

I''m glad you know how to take care of yourself.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
lori,

sorry to hear about the lupus and your hands hurting all the time......

mz

ps i''ve heard nothing but good re glocks....

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
C''mon ...guns don''t kill
38.gif
people do.
nod.gif

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Nope and I never will. The very idea makes me nervous.

Samantha Red

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/13/2009 8:16:01 PM
Author: Tuckins1

Wow!

We actually has an attempted break in a few months back... We locked ourselves in the bedroom and got out the gun. I called 911 and DH was ready- if ANYONE made an attempt to come up our stairs, they wouldn''t have made it past the landing. Of course, I hollered downstairs to whomever may have been in the house that we were armed and would shoot, so if they chose to come upstairs, that''s their poor decision making.

Obviously here in the UK it is a non issue as legally you can only own guns for sport (hunting or target shooting) - ultimately though the sad fact is if you shot someone in self defense, even with a legal gun, you would be the one who would end up in prison. It happened a few years ago to a guy who had two intruders break into his home, one of whom he killed.

SapphireLover

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! I am another UKer and just the title of this thread made me gasp. I would never ever ever ever (get the picture) contemplate having a gun in the house, even if it was legal. My DF is from farming stock where his neighbours hunt and feels the same. We were broken into several months ago, whilst we were in bed asleep, and never once did I wish I had a gun. I live not far from a gang area and have seen the lives that guns have ruined.

Samantha Red- that is totally untrue. You do not automatically go to jail for shooting somebody in self defence. The case you are pointing out, (the shooter was called Tony Martin) it was found that the shooting could not have been classified as reasonable force. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6902409.stm A jury found that he had used dispporportionate force and jailed him .

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
unless one of us is being specifically targeted, I do not see the need for a gun in our home. Guns escalate situations, and the only cases that I know of where people were held at gun-point, nothing happened to the victims. If they had brandished weapons, there very likely would have been a shoot out.

I don''t know why handguns were ever legalized for public use. If all gun owners had rifles and shotguns, no one could sneak up on you with a gun. We wouldn''t have to worry about concealed threats. If someone was walking up to you with their shotgun, you would know exactly what time it was.

I enjoy shooting at the range. I am not scared of guns. I look forward to clay shooting. I don''t ever intend to have a gun in my home.

Samantha Red

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/14/2009 3:44:50 AM
Author: SapphireLover
Wow! I am another UKer and just the title of this thread made me gasp. I would never ever ever ever (get the picture) contemplate having a gun in the house, even if it was legal. My DF is from farming stock where his neighbours hunt and feels the same. We were broken into several months ago, whilst we were in bed asleep, and never once did I wish I had a gun. I live not far from a gang area and have seen the lives that guns have ruined.

Samantha Red- that is totally untrue. You do not automatically go to jail for shooting somebody in self defence. The case you are pointing out, (the shooter was called Tony Martin) it was found that the shooting could not have been classified as reasonable force. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6902409.stm A jury found that he had used dispporportionate force and jailed him .
They should not have been breaking into his home - full stop. I believe that here in the UK you are as likely to be punished for defending yourself as you are for being the attacker. The chap who was injured in that incident has tried to sue! He should not have been there in the first place and deserved whatever he got.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/14/2009 3:55:32 AM
Author: Samantha Red

Date: 12/14/2009 3:44:50 AM
Author: SapphireLover

They should not have been breaking into his home - full stop. I believe that here in the UK you are as likely to be punished for defending yourself as you are for being the attacker. The chap who was injured in that incident has tried to sue! He should not have been there in the first place and deserved whatever he got.
I don''t know about UK laws as I live in Florida in the US, but in Florida, we have the Castle Doctrine that protects us from things like this.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/14/2009 3:49:17 AM
Author: trillionaire
unless one of us is being specifically targeted, I do not see the need for a gun in our home. Guns escalate situations, and the only cases that I know of where people were held at gun-point, nothing happened to the victims. If they had brandished weapons, there very likely would have been a shoot out.

I don't know why handguns were ever legalized for public use. If all gun owners had rifles and shotguns, no one could sneak up on you with a gun. We wouldn't have to worry about concealed threats. If someone was walking up to you with their shotgun, you would know exactly what time it was.

I enjoy shooting at the range. I am not scared of guns. I look forward to clay shooting. I don't ever intend to have a gun in my home.
I hate this statement. Period. It is our 2nd amendment right to have them, if we don't exercise that right, we will lose it. Besides that, by making guns 'illegal' all you're doing is taking them out of the hands of those who are using them responsibly and who are abiding by the laws. Do you really think (this is at everyone, not you specifically, Trill), that a felon is going to not rob someone, kill someone, shoot hundreds of innocent people on a university campus, etc. because guns are illegal or because they are in a "No Gun Zone"? They don't give a damn about the law!! They're felons! If anything, I think them being illegal is a terrible thing! They will still have guns and we will not...I'm sorry, but I don't like those odds...

nytemist

Brilliant_Rock
I have no issue with one being in the home. My dad had one for years and we didn''t know it until he wanted to get rid of it. There isn''t one in my parent''s house now, and there isn''t one in my place. My dad''s family in the south all have guns and my uncles has taught me how to shoot a shotgun and a rifle ( and a Gatling gun which was crazy) I think it''s a matter of being responsible about it and respecting how much damage can be done. I''m not a gun person, but I do have swords. I have been taught how to handle them too.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
We have several, but they remain locked in the safe at all times unless we are removing one to go to the woods with. I am going to be keeping a handgun in the house in a very secure place in the future, due to the recent break in we had in SO''s truck, and the fact that my mom had someone go in her back yard the other night.
32.gif
Fortunately he/she/it ran away when the police arrived but.... EEEEEEP

SapphireLover

Brilliant_Rock
Samantha Red- the burglars had heard the warning and were leaving through a window. It was clearly noted in the court that they were leaving the house, and Tony Martin shot them in the back. That is not reasonable force. If they were coming at him about to attack him, then it would be a different matter. He had warned them and they were leaving, it was NOT reasonable force. There was no need to shoot as he was not at risk. I am not saying they had any right to be in his house, of course, they didn''t, nobody would ever argue that they were right to be. But there is a rule about proportional force and this was not used. If we use unreasonable force, then we are becoming judge, jury and executioner, which is not right.

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
No. Never.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Yes we do & they are kept in a large, digital lock safe. Kids get a hold of guns because they are not in a safe & instead in a drawer, shoebox, closet etc.. We rarely take the guns out & never when our daughter is around.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I am naive and live in a very safe place.
40.gif

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/14/2009 9:00:08 AM
Author: audball

Date: 12/14/2009 3:49:17 AM
Author: trillionaire

I don''t know why handguns were ever legalized for public use. If all gun owners had rifles and shotguns, no one could sneak up on you with a gun. We wouldn''t have to worry about concealed threats. If someone was walking up to you with their shotgun, you would know exactly what time it was.

I enjoy shooting at the range. I am not scared of guns. I look forward to clay shooting. I don''t ever intend to have a gun in my home.
I hate this statement. Period. It is our 2nd amendment right to have them, if we don''t exercise that right, we will lose it. Besides that, by making guns ''illegal'' all you''re doing is taking them out of the hands of those who are using them responsibly and who are abiding by the laws. Do you really think (this is at everyone, not you specifically, Trill), that a felon is going to not rob someone, kill someone, shoot hundreds of innocent people on a university campus, etc. because guns are illegal or because they are in a ''No Gun Zone''? They don''t give a damn about the law!! They''re felons! If anything, I think them being illegal is a terrible thing! They will still have guns and we will not...I''m sorry, but I don''t like those odds...
+1

-A

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results