shape
carat
color
clarity

Gung Hay Fat Choy to all who is celebrating chinese new year...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Websailor,

Thanks for posting the pic of the dragon! Way cool! The fireworks in the background remind me of how much fun I would have as child, watching in awe of the parades!

Have a great day!
35.gif

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
I really like the idea of exchanging the tangerines for the red envelopes. I think it teaches the young ones at an early age to "give" (even if they have other motives).

I know it was always drilled into our heads at a young age that whenever we went to someone''s house, It was always nice to bestow some fresh fruit as good will. It''s funny, I still think this way ... do not go to someone''s house empty handed!
12.gif

35.gif

CdnBlingGal

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/29/2006 5:23:51 PM
Author: Mrs Darlin Joy
I find this all very, very interesting ...
9.gif

When you hand out the ''Lai see'' let say to your neices & nephews, typically how much do you give? And do they reciprocate by giving you a card of wishing happiness or good fortune for the new year to the Auntie or Uncle?

I love learning about tradition and customs!
36.gif

Also, is it customary to have a 12 course meal? Do people in the family go to the parents house to celebrate generally, or does it rotate?

And do the women the night prior to the celebration ''spring clean''?
12.gif

If anyone would like to share, I am interested in knowing if there is a special tradition in particular that means alot to you, or brings back a special memory.

Happiness to all!
35.gif
It''s not really ''how much you give them'', it just has to be in a bill form (paper money). Since in Canada, our $1 dollar and $2 dollar bills no longer exsist,they are in coin form now, we are subject to giving the next denomination which is $5.00. Now considering each child gets one lai see from each aunt and uncle, that adds up to 10 bucks, in our case we had 9 nephews and nieces plus another 3 second cousins (young children as well). So that''s $120.00 Cdn.
So, my sister and I (DINKS, double income no kids) ended up giving each child $2.00 USD per couple. I''m glad there is no limit. With our family, there is no recipicating of anything. Just thanks! Basically, the DINKS get the short end of the stick on that one.

Usually, if you order a set menu, it''s 12 courses. That''s including a soup and dessert. We usually have supper out.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/30/2006 1:45:08 AM
Author: SeattleSparkle
CHUC MUNG NAM MOI!! (I''m so glad I can write it and not have to say it, my Vietnamese is so bad!) I had dinner w/ my boyfriend''s Vietnamese family last night and collected a few red envelopes myself. I am the year of the dog... not really sure what that means for this year, but its kind of cool.
wish i was 24 yrs old.
9.gif

SeattleSparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Haha, Dancing Fire!! How do you I''m not 35/36? You got me .... I''m 23 actually!! (I''ll turn 24 this year)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/30/2006 11:57:16 AM
Author: SeattleSparkle
Haha, Dancing Fire!! How do you I'm not 35/36? You got me .... I'm 23 actually!! (I'll turn 24 this year)
SS
35.gif

i'am a fortune teller.
16.gif

zdrastvootya

Shiny_Rock
GHFC!

I''m a Happy Dragon. (I think you can pin the year down with that.)

Gave out red pockets for the first time this year. My wife has too many nieces & nephews! (More than 10!)

Unfortunately, not too much food. MIL not feeling very well. My family out of town. We were so busy running around, we hardly ate anything. Will have to do better next year!

Z.

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
sooo DF as your chinese grandma will we be celebrating your happy 60th this year or maybe just your 48th???
2.gif

I am a monkey too... like aphisig.

Happy New Year everyone!

I got a few lai see.... my mom was like, oh, last year... next year you will have to give on e to us! (Supposedly she says in Shanghainese culture after you are married you give lai see to you parents, but maybe she is making this up! hehe)

Like qtiekiki and ginger next year FI and I will be giving them out... in fact we had a heated discussion about this last night because two of FI''s cousins are OLDER than him, but unmarried (and living at home, w/o jobs to boot!) - and we both feel it is, ah... kind of silly to be giving them lai see ?!!!! They are almost 30!!!
6.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/30/2006 6:01:40 PM
Author: flopkins
sooo DF as your chinese grandma will we be celebrating your happy 60th this year or maybe just your 48th???
2.gif
or 36th.
28.gif

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
DF if you have been married 20 yrs then if you are 36 you got married when you were 16?!
31.gif

GGLW

Shiny_Rock
I read an article in the NY Times saying this is a very lucky year to get married, so that''s good news to all of those who are getting married before February of 2007.
It mentioned that a lot of couples had decided to hold off on getting married until this year because it was such a lucky year for marriage...interesting.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/30/2006 6:01:40 PM
Like qtiekiki and ginger next year FI and I will be giving them out... in fact we had a heated discussion about this last night because two of FI''s cousins are OLDER than him, but unmarried (and living at home, w/o jobs to boot!) - and we both feel it is, ah... kind of silly to be giving them lai see ?!!!! They are almost 30!!!
6.gif
I was told that traditionally you are supposed to give it to people older than you even if they are not married. So we are not giving lai see to any unmarried cousins who are older than us.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/30/2006 7:53:08 PM
DF if you have been married 20 yrs then if you are 36 you got married when you were 16?!
31.gif
grandma flopkins
35.gif

of all people,you should know that chinese get marry very early in life.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results