shape
carat
color
clarity

Gung Hay Fat Choy to all who is celebrating chinese new year...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
may the year of the DOG brings you many,many new sparklers.
31.gif
36.gif
36.gif
to those lucky people who will be receiving LAI SEE (red envelopes) hope you get many big fat ones. [$$)]
31.gif
9.gif

BTW.... this is my year
36.gif
born year of the DOG. what is yours?
34.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our youngest child is adopted from China so we try to eat Chinese food to celebrate, at least! I should start giving her the red envelopes..or maybe not? Hmmmm.

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Happy Chinese New Year! My BF is Chinese and last night we had a celebratory bbq - steaks with chocolate cake for dessert
3.gif
I know his mother wasn't as approving of the choice of food for the holiday, but boy was it delicious!!
31.gif

And I'm the year of the rooster :)

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Gung Hay Fat Choy!!!

I am the year of the ram/lamb. And no more lai see for me this year since we are married. It''s going to feel weird to be giving them out.

gingerBcookie

Brilliant_Rock
CHUC MUNG NAM MOI!!!
36.gif
For those celebrating the lunar new year Viet style! LOL, which I think is basically the same as the chinese. Our red envelopes are calle Li Xi -- which I was stuffing full of cash for my mom last night and kinda bummed cuz this year will be our last year -- cuz same as qtiekki, next year we'll be old married fogeys and have to hand them out! But I think that'll be fun too, to have all my cousins and nieces and nephews giving me the fomal new year greeting and well wishes in order to get their li xi from me! Oh, and I'm the year of the horse.
4.gif

Front_of_Dragon_2.jpg

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
I was born in the year of the pig.
3.gif
I don''t get many ang pow which is what we call red envelopes.
39.gif
I used to remember when I was little I''d love counting it up at the end. [$$)]

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not chinese but wanted to wish all my friends that are celebtrating the chinese new year, Gung Hay Fat Choy. And may you get many red envelopes. That sounds like fun!!!
36.gif
36.gif

aphisiglovessae

Brilliant_Rock
I am the year of the monkey!! And no lai see for me since my Chinese family is across the world from me.

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Gung Hay Fat Choy!

to all who are celebrating!!!

I am not Chinese, however, I will celebrate too, because the food is so good & parades are wonderful and fun to watch!

I was born in the year of the Horse.
2.gif

As a matter of fact, I am not biologically Japanese either, but my mother is and we celebrate a little differently.

Akemashite Omedeto Gozaimasu! Happy New Year to all!
35.gif

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
Happy Chinese New Year to All our Chinese Pricescopers!!!

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Diamondseeker2006,

How wonderful that you have a daughter with Chinese ancestory! I think it would be so wonderful for her to know not only american history, tradition etc... but important for her to know Chinese history, tradition, etc.

My father is American, and my mother is Japanese. They adopted my sister who is Japanese while my dad was stationed there, and then adopted me when they came back to the states. Even though that I am not biologically Japanese, I was very blessed to have been raised in a "Bi-lingual" household that celebrated both countries traditions etc...

I say learn all you can, and somehow incorporate things here and there in her life. As she gets older, she will be able to do and understand more.
9.gif

Congratulations and much happiness to all your family!
Take care,
35.gif

CdnBlingGal

Brilliant_Rock
GUNG HAY FAT CHOY!!!!

We went out for the 12 course meal last night. Tomorrow we will be having another supper at my sisters.

I was born the year of the tiger. Grrrrr!! My husband is the year of the horse.

This year was my first year having to hand out the ''lai see'' to all of the nieces and nephews since I''m no longer single. I got away last year since I had to work and ''forgot'' to give them the lai see. It gets expensive. I had to dig into the jewelley fund.
31.gif

flower12

Brilliant_Rock
Gung Hay Fat Choy!!
I am not chinese but I have lot of chinese freinds and I love chinese new year
it''s so fun.

I want t a red envelopes
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/29/2006 2:31:59 AM
Author: CdnBlingGal
GUNG HAY FAT CHOY!!!!

We went out for the 12 course meal last night. Tomorrow we will be having another supper at my sisters.

I was born the year of the tiger. Grrrrr!! My husband is the year of the horse.

This year was my first year having to hand out the ''lai see'' to all of the nieces and nephews since I''m no longer single. I got away last year since I had to work and ''forgot'' to give them the lai see. It gets expensive. I had to dig into the jewelley fund.
31.gif
I''m soooo jealous!!
39.gif
Well at least tonight we''ll be going to a nice Chinese restaurant but its not the same!! hehe

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Gung Hay Fat Choy!!
9.gif

I was born the year of the bull. Funny enough, I''m a Taurus. Me, have horns? Nah...
11.gif
31.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/29/2006 1:27:07 AM
Author: Mrs Darlin Joy
Hi Diamondseeker2006,

How wonderful that you have a daughter with Chinese ancestory! I think it would be so wonderful for her to know not only american history, tradition etc... but important for her to know Chinese history, tradition, etc.

My father is American, and my mother is Japanese. They adopted my sister who is Japanese while my dad was stationed there, and then adopted me when they came back to the states. Even though that I am not biologically Japanese, I was very blessed to have been raised in a ''Bi-lingual'' household that celebrated both countries traditions etc...

I say learn all you can, and somehow incorporate things here and there in her life. As she gets older, she will be able to do and understand more.
9.gif

Congratulations and much happiness to all your family!
Take care,
35.gif

Thanks very much! It is wonderful that your family had the opportunity to celebrate customs from both countries! We do it as much as we can, however, we are not in an area with a large Chinese population, so our opportunites are limited. We do get together every summer with the other families with whom we travelled to China, and they are like extended family. We hope maybe someday we can take her back to China for a visit.

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
I find this all very, very interesting ...
9.gif

When you hand out the "Lai see" let say to your neices & nephews, typically how much do you give? And do they reciprocate by giving you a card of wishing happiness or good fortune for the new year to the Auntie or Uncle?

I love learning about tradition and customs!
36.gif

Also, is it customary to have a 12 course meal? Do people in the family go to the parents house to celebrate generally, or does it rotate?

And do the women the night prior to the celebration "spring clean"?
12.gif

If anyone would like to share, I am interested in knowing if there is a special tradition in particular that means alot to you, or brings back a special memory.

Happiness to all!
35.gif

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Sunkist,

I can just imagine the look on future MIL''s face when she realized what was for dinner!
9.gif

I know it wasn''t traditional and all, but sounds delicious to me!
18.gif

Hope you & your family have a great year!
35.gif

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
GingerBcookie,

Thanks for sharing the picture! I used to love watching the Chinese New Year parade when I grew up in California.

Do you give Li Xi to your parents? Or were you just helping your mom stuff her envelopes that she would have been giving out? Not trying to be nosey ... just curious.
2.gif

Best wishes to your family this year!
35.gif

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
When you give out red packets filled with money which can range from $1-$200 (that I have received over the years) it is usually reciprocated with 2 tangerines. Even when you don''t give out ang pows amongst adults, if you visit you are still expected to exchange 2 tangerines.

Chinese New Year is also filled with yummy treats...like pineapple tarts.
18.gif
Wow I am missing Singapore so much right now!
31.gif

crafftygrrl

Shiny_Rock
Gung Hay Fat Choy!!

I just went to Eden Center in Arlington, VA to Huong Que for an early dinner after going to the Auto Show in DC.

The food was soooo good. Periodically tons of firecrackers would off. It was so festive.

The best part is that my kids are getting more adventurous in what they will eat!!!! They tried and liked everything. That''s a feat for my picky eaters.

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Happy CNY!

Over here we call it Ang Pows (or Hong Bao). Two mandarins in exchange for an ang pow - pretty good trade when you''re younger, but not when you grow up and need to start giving the ang pows out!!

I''ve not had a good CNY celebration for years (ever since I moved to Melbourne), but this year we had some friends over for a ''reunion'' dinner on Sat night. We had a steamboat bbq with loads of seafood and it was yum ;-)

I miss the CNY goodies I used to get in Singapore too - the pineapple tarts, the bak kua.. ahhhhh
18.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Happy Chinese New Year from the whole family of Rabbits!

websailor

Brilliant_Rock
It is Year 4703 by the Chinese calendar, the year of bingxu. [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica]
yr2006.jpg
[/FONT]
Gung Hay Fat Choy!!!

2005_CNY_Parade_002.jpg

We cleaned the house, talked to Mom, will be seeing Dad soon, and now it''s time to eat...and eat...and eat...

No Lai See for us.....

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mrs Darlin Joy
35.gif

according to old chinese traditions
34.gif
only "VIRGINS" receive red envelopes.

flower12

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/29/2006 7:59:41 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
Mrs Darlin Joy
35.gif

34.gif
only ''VIRGINS'' receive red envelopes.
OH!!!!!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
I did ended up getting some lai see from my MIL, aunts and uncles, and DH''s sisters. Because they are our elders, they give them to us even though we are married. That''s just fine with me.
9.gif

SeattleSparkle

Brilliant_Rock
CHUC MUNG NAM MOI!! (I''m so glad I can write it and not have to say it, my Vietnamese is so bad!) I had dinner w/ my boyfriend''s Vietnamese family last night and collected a few red envelopes myself. I am the year of the dog... not really sure what that means for this year, but its kind of cool.

Sparkster

Brilliant_Rock
Mrs Darlin Joy
35.gif

34.gif
That''s probably because back in the ''old days'' you were supposed to be a virgin when you got married. So it ties in with only unmarried people get the red packets.

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Mrs Darlin Joy
35.gif

34.gif

Hmmmm ... Let''s hope they all go by the honor system!
9.gif

Well, It does make sense then to stop getting them when you marry!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results