shape
carat
color
clarity

Guidance please on radiant cut and price....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Antique Radiant

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I''ve been looking at radiant diamonds for a while now and i think I may have found a pretty good one - I would appreciate your comments on cut/dimensions etc and the price.

Price: $11,633.00
Report: GIA
Shape: Radiant
Carat: 2.02
Color: H
Clarity: VS2
Depth: 61.8
Table: 65
Girdle: T-M
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Culet: None
Fluorescence: No
Measurements: 8.27-6.85X4.23
Length/Width: 1.21

many thanks in advance...
9.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nicrez just got a particularly fine rad...

If the square-towards-rectangle outline does not bother you, this could be ok. Also, there are quite a few cut models disguides under the generic name of "Radiant" - definitely not a stone to be bought without a good look!

I surely like the "VG" symmtery - not easy to find in a radiant (even more so than for other fancy cuts).

What is 'T-M' for girdle ? If my guess is right, this is "thick to medium" - which should be ok given the 'very good' symmetry and make those corners less brittle.

Antique Radiant

Rough_Rock
I am looking for a rectangular stone, but am having great difficulty finding one and this seems to be pretty reasonable compromise

Its from whiteflash - do they do evals before purchase?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is how the proportions of your rad should look (modeled on the "fancy shape selector" at gemappraisers.com). As for Whiteflash, you bet... I would ask for a picture and an IdealScope (however they call their version of it) view, as is rather usual practice for the ideal cut rounds they sell.

The look of the stone is much better appreciated in the real 3D, crystal clear object than the drawing below. Also, it would be worth placing an order with this seller (and/or others) to find the shape you are looking for. Aside from this matter of choice, the current stone is by no means "bad"
2.gif

FRD.JPG

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Hey Antique! This sounds like a fairly well proportioned one being in the 2A cut category, and a 1.21 to me sounds pretty rectangular (since I was looking for 1.04 and under and the 1.06 to ME is almost rectangular!).

Also, everything else, down to the girdle seems excellent, but my ONLY fear is the color. Hopefully, it is cut well with good light return that the color does not sieve through. I saw a G with slight color, but in all honesty, being a shaped stone, cut in a design that is known to INDUCE color, I have never looked at an H. I always recommend to go to an F or higher if possible, but if you see it and there is no obvious yellowing, or you like the color, then I say GO FOR IT! Price is also really great for the 2.ct stone!!!

It's truly a well cut stone, it seems, and let me tell you how rare a find you have! It took me 3 months of daily searches and meeting with over 40+ jewelers to find our stone, and I compromised in size and ratio a bit to do so. I don't think you should pass this stone up if you really like it, and the color is good to you.

Just out of cusiosity, Ana mentioned that there are different cut types and disparity among the cuts called "radiant", so what does your pavillion cut look like? Is it a brilliant (star-like pattern) or is it more like a princess as I have seen many do? Also, where did you find this stone, and I am so curious to know who carries a well-made radiant (for my diamond earring project for next year!)

Good luck and let us know what happens. If you do buy it, you MUST post pictures! Not enough radiant lovers out there!
9.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BTW...

FRDI.JPG

Rand_alThor

Rough_Rock
Hi Antique Radiant,

From your post, I'm guessing your budget is around the $11.5K range. Have you done any searches on the original radiant cut by Henry Grossbard. http://www.radiantcut.com try to search for local jewellers in your zip code. If you have time go take a look at the "original" radiant cut and compare it side by side with a generic. You'll notice the difference in cut right away. I saw a 5 carat generic radiant versus a 5 carat original. The 5 carat original sparkled like there was no tomorrow. It blows the generics right out of the water. (Disclaimer: There will certainly be a few generic radiants that will come close to the "original" cut; but finding those is like finding a needle in a haystack).

At my local jeweller we saw a 1.89 VS2, G which they were selling for $11.5K. So if you dont mind dropping down in size vs paying the premium for a better cut stone, in a smaller size I would recommend the "original". Initially I wanted to get a 2 carat stone which was well cut and in my price range. In the end I settled for dropping down in size to get a better branded cut.

Antique Radiant

Rough_Rock
thank you so much for your comments - I have tried to attach the diagram from the GIA cert to give you an idea about the cut - comments again gratefully appreciated

on the radiantcut.com website there are unfortunately no suppliers in my area

the rock would be going in an antique platinum setting by saturn jewels - i have seen numerous 'h' radiants and to be honest, especially in the setting I think it should be fine - although, I am open to suggestions on that too!

thanks in advance
1.gif

diamond6866.JPG

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hm... the diagram on the GIA cert does not accurately represent the facet pattern of the stone. They use a few "pictures" to represent the stone in order to plot inclusions, not to evaluate the cut. So... the diagram is telling me that this radiant in not one of those "princess cuts with clipped corners" - not a bad thing, in my view.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results