shape
carat
color
clarity

Guestimate the Wholesale Value of an Aquamarine and SB Turquoise

orange_horse

Rough_Rock
What do you guestimate the value of these stones to be? I don't have the dimensions, but they seem to be around 7-10mm (max) and are described as a natural Santa Maria aquamarine and natural Sleeping Beauty turquoise cabochon. I just need a ballpark number for my purposes. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

2024-01-21_23-02-48.jpg

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
they seem to be around 7-10mm (max)

That's a three-fold difference in potential carat-weight range (7^3 vs. 10^3). So it's a little like asking how much some cars are worth -- maybe 2 - 6 cars, maximum.

Plus, the driver of the value is whether they are genuine and untreated. The latter can't be proven with aqua, IIRC. Turquoise can be polymer plus powdered turquoise, etc. No way to tell from those photos. One could be plastic and the other could be glass. You'd need a report. It does not matter how they are described by the seller unless it is someone whom you know to be reliable and an expert. And if that were the case, I'm guessing you would not need us. Sorry to not be of more help.

orange_horse

Rough_Rock
That's a three-fold difference in potential carat-weight range (7^3 vs. 10^3). So it's a little like asking how much some cars are worth -- maybe 2 - 6 cars, maximum.

Plus, the driver of the value is whether they are genuine and untreated. The latter can't be proven with aqua, IIRC. Turquoise can be polymer plus powdered turquoise, etc. No way to tell from those photos. One could be plastic and the other could be glass. You'd need a report. It does not matter how they are described by the seller unless it is someone whom you know to be reliable and an expert. And if that were the case, I'm guessing you would not need us. Sorry to not be of more help.

I understand. I've just received an astronomical quote ($30k+) for a bracelet that has these two stones and ~4 ounces of gold. The bracelet mold already exists, so it's not being created custom for me. I'm just trying to figure out if there's any support for that price because it feels like triple keystone pricing to me.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I understand. I've just received an astronomical quote ($30k+) for a bracelet that has these two stones and ~4 ounces of gold. The bracelet mold already exists, so it's not being created custom for me. I'm just trying to figure out if there's any support for that price because it feels like triple keystone pricing to me.

No, there's zero support for that price. That is honestly insanity.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Astronomical of course . But I’d sure like to know the design of the bracelet you got quoted on.
I feel that has something to do with it. Or a name.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
114g which is just over 4oz of casting grain in 18K yellow Fairtrade gold is just under 7k GBP including 20% VAT in UK today.

Therefore, 30k+ USD for a bracelet with just these two stones in an existing cast is outrageous IMHO!

DK :))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Besides, the Aquamarine is too dark for my liking and does not appear to be precision cut.

I would probably pay no more than 2-3k USD for that stone.

No clue about how much Turquoise would cost, however, I like the one in the original pic in that the colour is vivid and even, and a nice cabochon shape, and would pay no more than 1k USD for it.

All IMHO and personal preferences etc...

orange_horse

Rough_Rock
Astronomical of course . But I’d sure like to know the design of the bracelet you got quoted on.
I feel that has something to do with it. Or a name.

It’s a boutique designer out of NYC that has a strong social media presence and is often worn by celebrities.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In that case you're paying for the name and nothing else.

+1 to that - added premium for having a "celebrity" and "designer" tags!

Each to their own - I would not fork out big money for such tags!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have paid way over intrinsic value for lots of things -- that's virtually the only way to get well-made, well-designed stuff, new or vintage. So I am not one to reduce a lovely piece or project-in-the-works to (purely) sum-of-the-parts math. But I am completely with you that it's good to have a mental benchmark for how much of a premium you are paying and whether you are willing to accept that.

It seems like even simple gold construction is never much below 2X melt value no matter how high it scales (like the "baller" kg curb-links that IG served me for a kooky interval :lol-2:).

I don't know how much design work or detailing goes into that $30K you are quoting. I had a one-off piece custom-made that was hours and hours of wax carving and then meticulous hand engraving and I could see where my money was going, at least. Melt value of the gold would not be a great metric for gauging what it "should" cost -- but I recognize it's the metric that potential buyers will apply when my kids go to sell it. :cool2:

orange_horse

Rough_Rock
It's just a simple bracelet that looks like this...except with those stones added. I guess they do tweak the bracelet to custom fit each stone...but besides that, it's not an intricate piece. Seems like you'd just 3D print the new settings, create a new mold and be off to the races.

1705982542979.png

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's just a simple bracelet that looks like this...

Yeah, I would not pay a super premium for that design. And it's much better suited to that flat rose-cut diamond than to a deep brilliant-cut like the aqua. Also, I don't think that would look great with the turquoise, especially in yellow metal.

Some vendors seem to think that buyers will not adjust for the 14K/24K ratio and just hear "ounces of gold" and conclude that they are getting a much better value than they are.

For a guy and in YG, I would think warmer-toned stones like agate or tiger-eye but those would not seem to warrant the $15K investment in metal. Low-dome, fairly hard cabochons would be ideal, imo -- heated blue sapphire and treated emerald, maybe, although emerald might be too fragile. Too different blues? Opal or ammolite would be cool but, again, too fragile. Then there are the high-end knife-scale choices like fossil mammoth tusk or [something] tooth or meteorite. Oh: nice jadeite cabs would be sensational in high-karat YG.

Also, that's a small gap and guys have big hands so there's a risk there. I assume that there is no hinge? I don't think I could wear that.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are the stones even treated? Turquoise can be dyed, resin filled, and certain darker aquas can fade over time if they’ve been irradiated.

That alone would bother me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results