shape
carat
color
clarity

Guest Books! Is this dumb?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
I really like the idea of a guest book like this. I would probably DIY it to make it more colorful (see photo below, also Martha Stewart). But I''ve heard some opinions that guests won''t want to take the time to fill out the cards and put them in envelopes.

What do you think? As a guest, would you participate? Would you be annoyed? Is it worth the effort?

I don''t particularly care for the sort of guest book that just has lines for people''s names - so impersonal! What are my options for books that are a little more involved?

Thanks!

envelopebook.jpg

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
Is it pages and pages of envelopes glued on, and the guests insert the cards? That looks really cool. I would do it if I were a guest! I love alternatives to guest books!

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I think it''s cute.

FWIW, my experience is that not all of your guests will sign a guestbook no matter what form it is. I had two weddings and thus two different guestbooks. The first had a one of those picture frames that you sign, and it was displayed at the reception. I''d say 80% of our guests signed it. The second was a regular guestbook, at the back of the church, and I''d say 90% signed it.

So, no matter how inconvenient or convenient your guestbook is for guests, some will choose to participate and some will not. With that understood, I say go for it! It''s a sweet, colorful idea, and you like it, which is what matters most, since it''s your keepsake.

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve never seen this before, and I would totally sign it! I agree, I don''t like the traditional guest book.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it''s a really cute idea, and I''d sign it! Might save the idea for when we renew our vows too! I like that it''s different than the traditional guest book.

GoingCrazy29

Shiny_Rock
I love it! Where did you get the picture of the Martha Stewart one with the colored envelopes?

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
The more I look at this, the more I like it. How would you DIY? Buy an album and add those in? Buy Martha''s and change out the envelopes? (I don''t know if you could do that last one). Glue them to pages and have all the pages bound?

Definitely. Maybe

Brilliant_Rock
I really LOVE that idea! That is such a cute way to do a guest book... I agree I don't care for the lines where people just sign their name. The book with the envelopes make it so much more personal.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2009 1:33:56 PM
Author: Lanie
Glue them to pages and have all the pages bound?

I think this last is a great idea - IME, when they separated the guest book pages like this at weddings, it really helps to get more people to sign it because there''s no bottleneck of people waiting to sign it.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! What a wonderful and unique idea! I doubt anyone would be annoyed - infact, I would think most people would want to participate in quirky and fun things at a wedding!

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
I hope not because I bought one just like that! Lol. I think guests will love it personally.
1.gif
Here's the link to mine: S<3JS Guest Book. I am putting photos on the pages adjacent to the envelope pages.

ETA: To alleviate there only being one pen, I've been making flower pens for people to use.

fleur.de.lys.88

Rough_Rock
I love it! It''s different but still very classic.

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
I can''t imagine that anyone would be annoyed with having to write out a card... perhaps frame a little note that explains what to do, though, so that no guests are confused?

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I think it''s cute, and filling out a card would actually be preferable to me than writing in a book itself, because you wouldn''t have to wait in line. You could have lots of people fill out the cards at the same time and put them in the guestbook when they get a chance.

But the big caveat to me is when you want to look at it later, it will take so much more time than just flipping through a regular book.

FWIW, I''m doing a photo guestbook (no lines, just left the page opposite each photo blank for signatures) from Shutterfly for signatures and messages, as well as a picture frame for signatures only.

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for weighing in on this, everyone!

If I do this I may also provide sticker seals so guests can seal the envelopes with their messages inside (and other guests will know which envelopes are already occupied without having to search too much).

I got my place cards from Paper Source, so maybe I can get envelopes in the same colors...

girlie-girl

Brilliant_Rock
I think it's a really cute idea as well and I'd definitely fill out a card. I personally always make an effort to find the guest book and sign it/leave a message, but am often surprised how many people don't.

If you were worried about people's participation or the trouble of having to mark/find filled envelopes, you could always have an attendant sitting at the table that could collect the note cards from the guests and place them in the envelopes for them. Another thought would be to still have the guest book table, but also put note cards and pens in cute displays on the other tables (kind of like how they do disposable cameras). That way guests could fill out the cards as they enjoyed the reception instead of at just the one table, and attendants could go around collecting them as needed. Do you have any younger female family members who would like to be included?
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results