shape
carat
color
clarity

Guess those gems

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
O.K. Lets test you again. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to identify what the gem is in each picture (not just say one of the two is an "x"). You need to say the left gem is x and the right gem is y. Oh, and to confuse the issue, they might be the same gem species. Let''s play!

2gems.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Garnet and tourmaline!

(I really have no idea!)

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
You need to say which is garnet and which is tourmaline.

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Zeolite,

I can''t see any evidence of back-facet doubling in either X or Y even with my magnifying glass. It appears both gems are singly refractive unless the tables on both happen to be perpendicular to an SR optic axis. Of the SR/color options I can think of, Malaia garnet(pyrope-spessartine)seems to fit best. I''m guessing both X and Y are Malaia garnets of a particularly lovely hue.

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
Richard,
Quite astute. The right opposed bar gem is a 2.24 ct malaia garnet of amazing brilliance and delicate color. The left shield cut is another type of gem. And Frekechild, you were correct that one was a garnet.

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
OK. On second examination I see some slight fuzziness in facet junctions on gem X (left). Tourmaline.

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
No, but you''re right that it is doubly refractive.

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Last guess before I have to leave for the evening: topaz, and a very fine one if so.

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
No, but thanks for playing, and getting the first one so easily.

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Well, I''ll squeeze in one more. The birefringence seems too low for zircon and morganites of that intense saturation are rare. I trust you''re not fooling us with synthetics so I can only think of padparadscha sapphire.

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, 0.94 ct padparadscha. Putting in synthetics would not be fair. I chose this pair for their similar color.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Ops - I didn't scroll down far enough to see the answer for left. With that, I retract my guess.

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Great color on both! And I didn''t mean to imply you might not have an ultra-saturate morganite in that big collection of yours!

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
Actually, I do. Haven''t pictured it yet. It is a strong pink from Madagascar. All pink, no orange.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results