shape
carat
color
clarity

Guess the diamond size help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

magali

Rough_Rock
I have been a luker for awhile. I would like to pop the big question soon, and I am trying to gauge the size diamond that my girlfriend would prefer to have. She commented on a ring that she saw somewhere. Can you guys guess the size of the diamond? I think she mentioned that the ring size was 4 or something small like that. Thanks for the help.

Guessme1.JPG

magali

Rough_Rock
Another one

Guessme2.JPG

magali

Rough_Rock
Last one

Guessme3.JPG

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
If I HAD to guess I''d say 1.75-2.25. But it''s almost impossible to tell based on pics.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was guessing 1.5 - 2.0 since she has small fingers but who can tell???

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Since the finger size is small, I would guess that that diamond is 1.5 cts.

dec2410

Shiny_Rock
i''d guess 2.0

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Somewhere around 2 is my guess too.

grapegravity

Shiny_Rock

magali

Rough_Rock
Do pictures usually make the diamonds look smaller or bigger? Can you tell anything else from this diamond whether it is good or bad? Can I make an assumption on the clarity/color that she might like? Thanks for the help so far.

SparkleNut

Brilliant_Rock
I would say that it would be around a 1.50ct.... just guessing from the hand and finger size. And for pictures making a diamond look big or small is all in how the picture is took. And for the color and clarity of the diamond you think she might like would also have to do with the color and clarity of diamond you can afford to purchase. I hope you can propose with her dream ring.... but it being a 1ct to a 1.50ct or even a diamond chip.... like I said before it''s what you can afford and regardless of the size it is a meaning of love!!!! So on that note good luck!!!! ... and we all can''t wait to see what you come up with!!!
1.gif

ams0124

Brilliant_Rock
I''m going to estimate it''s between 1.5 and 2...but small fingers can make a diamond look much larger.

I have a 4 1/2 ring size and that diamond looks just about the same size as mine...I have a 1.51ct center....

MMT

Ideal_Rock
I''m guessing between 1.5 and 1.75. Good luck
35.gif
35.gif
35.gif

paeony

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I''m going to say around 1.5 (maybe even less?)
the finger looks really small and the diamond seems to be set pretty high (can''t tell for sure)
both of which make the diamond appear larger

I think pictures tend to make diamonds look bigger-- particularly if they are set high off the finger

Good Luck picking out a ring!!

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
1.5 (no smaller)
to 1.75
I don''t think it''s big enough to be 2.0 on a size 4 finger but we''re only guessing based on previous photos that we''ve seen.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 1:05:22 PM
Author: purrfectpear
1.5 (no smaller)
to 1.75
I don't think it's big enough to be 2.0 on a size 4 finger but we're only guessing based on previous photos that we've seen.
Ditto.
Man, I feel like I am gambling.... does this feel naughty to anyone else?

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 12:20:47 PM
Author: magali
Do pictures usually make the diamonds look smaller or bigger?
It can go either way. I have pictures of my ring that look both unrealistically small AND unrealistically large.

Can you tell anything else from this diamond whether it is good or bad? Can I make an assumption on the clarity/color that she might like? Thanks for the help so far.
Why does it matter whether the diamond is good or bad? She wants a 'good' diamond, presumably. If this were a 'bad' diamond, that wouldn't mean that she wants hers to be 'bad' as well. (Besides, these pictures may well belong to someone that posts on these boards - why would we make disparaging remarks about it??
38.gif
)

There's no way she pointed it out to you thinking that she wanted her stone to look PRECISELY like that. It was a ballpark. If it's E SI1 that doesn't mean she wouldn't also love an H VS2. The size is presumably all that matters. We will be happy to give you general recommendations for cut/clarity/color that apply to any diamond purchase... no one is going to recommend that you buy an E SI1 just because that's what this seems to be (not that it DOES seem to be that, I was pulling those stats out of nowhere and based them on nothing at all).

Keep in mind, also, that this size stone on that size hand will not look the same as this size stone on your girlfriend's hand, unless she has identical hands. You may want to aim for bigger (if she has a bigger ring size, and if budget allows) or smaller (if she has a smaller ring size), depending.

I think you're overthinking this
2.gif
Go with the general advice we give anyone: buy her the best that you can afford, as close to her idea of 'the perfect ring' as you can.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 1:41:28 PM
Author: musey

It can go either way. I have pictures of my ring that look both unrealistically small AND unrealistically large.

Can you tell anything else from this diamond whether it is good or bad? Can I make an assumption on the clarity/color that she might like? Thanks for the help so far.
Why does it matter whether the diamond is good or bad? She wants a good diamond, presumably. If this were a ''bad'' diamond, that wouldn''t mean that she wants hers to be ''bad'' as well. (Besides, these pictures may well belong to someone that posts on these boards - why would we make disparaging remarks about it??
38.gif
)

There''s no way she pointed it out to you thinking that she wanted her stone to look PRECISELY like that. It was a ballpark. If it''s E SI1 that doesn''t mean she wouldn''t also love an H VS2. The size is presumably all that matters. We will be happy to give you general recommendations for cut/clarity/color that apply to any diamond purchase... no one is going to recommend that you buy an E SI1 just because that''s what this seems to be (not that it DOES seem to be that, I was pulling those stats out of nowhere and based them on nothing at all).

Keep in mind, also, that this size stone on that size hand will not look the same as this size stone on your girlfriend''s hand, unless she has identical hands.

I think you''re overthinking this
2.gif
Go with the general advice we give anyone: buy her the best that you can afford, as close to her idea of ''the perfect ring'' as you can.
Ditto Musey, especially on that last point.

I also agree that pictures can totally distort the size of a stone. I have some where my stone looks much bigger or smaller than it really is as well.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I thought it would be interesting to demonstrate this... these are all of my ring. Compared to its real life size and appearance, the picture on the left looks unrealistically small, the one on the right looks unrealistically large, and the one in the middle looks like a very accurate representation of it.

Come to think of it, it would be interesting to see what people would guess its size to be based on the inaccurate pictures (and the accurate one as well, for that matter). Anyway, moral of the story is that no single picture is a good indication of size, but if you have a collection of them from different angles and in different lighting conditions, you can get a pretty good idea.

museysringlookingunrealistic.jpg

paeony

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Wow, Musey-- nice comparison to illustrate the point!
36.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 2:12:54 PM
Author: paeony
Wow, Musey-- nice comparison to illustrate the point!
36.gif
Always trying to help!
35.gif

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very good example musey! I''ll take the one on the right!

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
I would say 1.5ct since her finger is so small...

beach

Brilliant_Rock
1.5 (at the most) is my guess too. Her small fingers and the side diamonds keep me from saying it is a 2. It looks great!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
I wear a size 4, and that stone (from the photo) looks like a 1.2-1.4 to me. Diamonds often look bigger in photos.

dec2410

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 2:00:30 PM

I thought it would be interesting to demonstrate this... these are all of my ring. Compared to its real life size and appearance, the picture on the left looks unrealistically small, the one on the right looks unrealistically large, and the one in the middle looks like a very accurate representation of it.

Come to think of it, it would be interesting to see what people would guess its size to be based on the inaccurate pictures (and the accurate one as well, for that matter). Anyway, moral of the story is that no single picture is a good indication of size, but if you have a collection of them from different angles and in different lighting conditions, you can get a pretty good idea.
ooooooooo! great comparison pics musey!!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 4:11:17 PM
Author: tyty333
Very good example musey! I'll take the one on the right!
3.gif
I'm pretty satisfied with the one in the middle, myself. The proportions in the one on the right look whacko to me!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 4:48:17 PM
Author: coatimundi
I wear a size 4, and that stone (from the photo) looks like a 1.2-1.4 to me. Diamonds often look bigger in photos.
Especially if they''re set high!

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Do pictures usually make the diamonds look smaller or bigger? Can you tell anything else from this diamond whether it is good or bad? Can I make an assumption on the clarity/color that she might like? Thanks for the help so far.

Pictures usually make the diamonds look bigger. Whenever I see pics of my diamond (2 ct on size 5 finger) I think it looks WAY bigger in pics than it does in real life. You can''t go wrong with a 1.5 ct stone, G VS2. I would even go down to SI clarity, as long as it''s eye-clean. I would keep the color between F-H. Make sure that you get an ideal cut diamond.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
It looks to me like the diamond in those pictures might be set pretty high, which would make it look bigger than it is.

But if your girlfriend was drawn to the pictures, it''s less about how big that diamond IS than how big it LOOKS. That is, she probably wants one that IS about the size that that one LOOKS.

Do you see what I mean? I''m not sure I''m explaining this clearly.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results