shape
carat
color
clarity

grr! why can''t I get a decent photo of my OEC ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dulcinea

Rough_Rock
How do those of you with nice photos of your rings manage to do it? I''ve been futzing with my Nikon SLR all day and can''t get my new (well, new to me; it''s an antique
2.gif
) e-ring on film! It''s driving me nuts. I just can''t get the ring in focus, even using 4x magnifying filters and adjusting everything manually.

NewYorker

Shiny_Rock
What is the macro on your camera? In other words, how many inches away do you have to be to get a clear picture? It should say in the manual.
I had a really hard time till I found out the 'close-up' setting isn't the same as macro and only focused at 19 inches away. I ended up buying a better digital camera (Nikon Coolpix 3100) that has a macro setting and focuses as close as 2 inches away (must have the flash off).

PoopEater

Rough_Rock
This is what I did to try capturing light reflection and fire. I haven't looked at the pics yet, but the images on my digicam preview screen looked good.

1. Put ring on finger in direct sunlight
2. Take light reading, lock exposure and focus
3. Move my hand until I got color coming out of the stone (as indicated on my digicam preview screen)
4. Take picture

If you are looking for macro, it's worth your while to find someone with a digicam. Nikons are the best at macro. Take a look at this image I took. It came straight out of my camera, with no extra lenses, no processing, no anything except I cropped part of the image. I have a nikon cp995.

crop.jpg

magna2

Shiny_Rock
Poopeater,

Uh...time to clean the diamond??
1.gif

That's what you get for taking such a great picture.
wink2.gif

rodent.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results