shape
carat
color
clarity

Grr post office grrrrrr

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Grrr! I'm eagerly waiting for a necklace I bought from a PSer who bought it from a PSer (I'm the third PS owner). It was "out for delivery" at 6:10 AM, scheduled to arrive by 4PM. After 4PM rolled around with no package, the tracking showed it scheduled to arrive by 8PM. After 8PM rolled around with no package, the tracking showed it "arriving on time." I sat there eagerly waiting for it. Suddenly at 9:30, the tracking changed to "We attempted to deliver your item at 9:15 pm on December 26, 2023 in [CITY, STATE, ZIPCODE] and a notice was left because an authorized recipient was not available. You may arrange redelivery by using the Schedule a Redelivery feature on this page or may pick up the item at the Post Office indicated on the notice beginning December 27, 2023. If this item is unclaimed by January 10, 2024 then it will be returned to sender."

This is a lie! Nobody attempted to deliver my item at 9:15 PM--I was sitting right there in my apartment waiting for it--and nobody left a notice. There were letters in my mailbox (including one that had been returned to me because of a "wrong address," despite the address being completely correct), but NO NOTICE.

Should I go to the post office with my ID and try to get them to give it to me, despite not having a notice? Or should I assume the carrier will put it on a truck and try to deliver it tomorrow? I really don't want to waste my time at the post office if it's on its way to me, especially since that might mean missing the carrier ringing my doorbell.

(I know, I know, this is an extremely First World problem.)

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Likely the mail deliverer just ran out of time at the end of the day.

Maddening, but maybe it's best to go to the P.O. in person on the 27th or schedule redelivery. Probably it will not just be delivered tomorrow, especially if they need a signature.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
It's here! (I went to the post office in the morning, but they told me it was out for delivery. The mailman was in my lobby when I got home around 5:30, so I was able to sign for it and didn't have to stand in line again, yay.)

The pearls are beautiful, as I knew they would be. I can't wait to see them in daylight!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's here! (I went to the post office in the morning, but they told me it was out for delivery. The mailman was in my lobby when I got home around 5:30, so I was able to sign for it and didn't have to stand in line again, yay.)

The pearls are beautiful, as I knew they would be. I can't wait to see them in daylight!
this is so unfair
a similar thing happened to me in September, but not nearly as lovelly as your new pearls
it was a .....coffee mug from the UK
dont asl me why a coffee mugs needs a signiture
i found a notice days latter in the garden, i thought it was litter and was about to throw it out
so i rang up and they said as they had a;ready tried to deliver it twice (just like you we were home plus our front door is in our main living room so we hear packages being left at the front door )
on my notice it also said they would send it back and i was running out of time
however on ringing (twice) they put an extention on that each time but they would not deliver it
now i know our local courier post driver tells porkies, becuase i have often had notification from Etsy that something has been delivered and it has not, especially on a friday, often waiting till monday despite the fact they deliver saturday

there was no way i could get to the local NZ Post depot as i seemed to work when they were open
my lovely manager went to pick it up on Saturday with the card in hand
she said it took them ages to find

now i know we live in different countries but i would ring if i were you
my card did not have a phone number on, i had to google for a number, and then get transfered a few times

good luck, you will love your pearls when they arrive

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

phew

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

:appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl:
thank goodness you caught him

now we need photographic proof !

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
:appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl:
thank goodness you caught him

now we need photographic proof !

Thank you, Daisys! All I have so far are evening photos that don't do them justice. I'll post a different thread about them after I take daylight photos.

It's a strand of Tahitian pearls that Yssie bought from Pearl Paradise and sold to Buttercookies, who sold them to me. It's currently 15 inches, but there are 5 more pearls that Yssie had PP take out, which I may add back in because I'm not sure I love the choker length on me. They're my first Tahitians, and I'm thrilled with them!

IMG_3802.jpeg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you, Daisys! All I have so far are evening photos that don't do them justice. I'll post a different thread about them after I take daylight photos.

It's a strand of Tahitian pearls that Yssie bought from Pearl Paradise and sold to Buttercookies, who sold them to me. It's currently 15 inches, but there are 5 more pearls that Yssie had PP take out, which I may add back in because I'm not sure I love the choker length on me. They're my first Tahitians, and I'm thrilled with them!

IMG_3802.jpeg

they are wonderful
@yssie has the most wonderful eye for pearls
again, i am so glad they arrived safely
i do love a choker but alas age has caught up with me and im in the process of lengthening everything that adorns my fat neck
How fortunate that you also have the 5 extra pearls

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remember this strand well! It’s cooler, overall, and has some beautiful rainbowy overtones when it’s cloudy :love:

Pearl Paradise removed the biggest pearls I believe, so the graduation will be even more dramatic (well, a little bit!) once they’re back in!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I remember this strand well! It’s cooler, overall, and has some beautiful rainbowy overtones when it’s cloudy :love:

Pearl Paradise removed the biggest pearls I believe, so the graduation will be even more dramatic (well, a little bit!) once they’re back in!

@yssie , do you remember how many pearls they removed? @Buttercookies sent me five pearls, one big (bigger than any on the necklace) and four on the small side of medium. The big one is quite drop-shaped, too drop-shaped to be a good center of a symmetrical necklace, so looks like it should have been part of a pair, but there's only one of it. Do you think it might have had a mate that might have stayed with you or with Buttercookies? Could you have used it for something and forgotten--an earring or pendant, for example? I was puzzled how the necklace could end up at a full 18 inches with the five added, since they don't seem to add up to three inches, but if there's a pearl missing that would make sense.

Buttercookies

Brilliant_Rock
@yssie , do you remember how many pearls they removed? @Buttercookies sent me five pearls, one big (bigger than any on the necklace) and four on the small side of medium. The big one is quite drop-shaped, too drop-shaped to be a good center of a symmetrical necklace, so looks like it should have been part of a pair, but there's only one of it. Do you think it might have had a mate that might have stayed with you or with Buttercookies? Could you have used it for something and forgotten--an earring or pendant, for example? I was puzzled how the necklace could end up at a full 18 inches with the five added, since they don't seem to add up to three inches, but if there's a pearl missing that would make sense.

Hi Glitterata. As far as I know all the extra pearls that I’ve received from yssie stay in their little bag. One way to check and is quite tedious is to check the photo of the strand attached to the appraisal paperwork. That photo is the actual photo of all the original pearls. I think. Perhaps when you string the pearls up, the spacing knots in the between make up the entire length?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I went digging - the strand itself should have 28 pearls right now! But unfortunately I don’t recall how many spares there were supposed to be ;(

This strand has An Involved History actually. Here’s how I originally bought it:

IMG_8711.jpeg

Then I had Pearl Paradise change the thread colour, then switch some pearls out for bigger (according to an old email the biggest is now 10.86 not 10.6!) which resulted in fewer total pearls than in the listing photo and appraisal, then shortened to wrap round the wrist… Hopefully Buttercookies knows offhand if that’s the right number of spares! But if it is in fact too short then I’ll take the fault, I can’t guarantee I didn’t lose something in all that shipping back and forth. This was before I knew how to string myself.

What you could do is contact Pearl Paradise and see if they’ve got records of all the changes to this strand - it was bought originally in 2019. They might have? If you find me on LT I can give you my order number ::) But I would also say go ahead and take it apart and line the pearls up, see what length you’ve got to work with, whatever you see lined up - once strung it’ll be 2-3” longer depending on your thread/knotting and clasp. The knots add a surprising amount of length. Pearl Paradise can provide extras too if you want more!

Last edited:

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is common for Tahitian strands to have an uneven number of pearls, the largest being the center pearl. I count 37 pearls in the photo yssie posted of the original listing-- an uneven number. Necklaces look balanced that way.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for responding, @yssie and @Buttercookies (and @pearlsngems). I apologize if I sounded as if I was complaining! I'm not--I'm THRILLED with these beautiful pearls! And there are plenty of extras to make a strand of a good length for me if I decide against keeping it as is. It was just Yssie saying PP had removed the largest "pearls" (plural), when the extras only have one big pearl, that made me wonder whether one was missing.

At the moment it's a tightish choker--I measured it at a little over 14.5 inches--and I may leave it this way, because it's also the PERFECT length for my wrist when I wrap it twice.

IMG_3836.jpeg
IMG_3838.jpeg

Or I could add back (two or four of) the extras to make it around 16 or 17 inches. I don't think I'll add the big pearl, because it's not my favorite and would have to be in the center taking the spotlight. If I DO add it, I might turn all the pearls in the same direction, so that half of them are marching down one side of my neck and the other half are marching up it--otherwise the big pearl will look a little odd without a mate, because of its drop shape.

It's a nice rainy day here today, good for bringing out the colors. The teal is perfect for my complexion.

IMG_3845.jpeg

What do you think--is the choker too tight? Should I add the extras?

IMG_3823.jpeg

Here it is with my mauve/green wrinkle/ripple pearls, which are about 17 3/4 inches:

IMG_3828.jpeg

And here it is with a strand of cheap white wrinkle/ripple pearls I got on etsy a few years back, also around 17 3/4 inches:

IMG_3848.jpeg

What do you think? Add in the extras and give up the chance to wear it as a bracelet? Or leave it as a choker? If I do lengthen it, I'll keep it shorter than the mauve/green wrinkle pearls so I'll have the option of wearing them together.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly I like it as this length on you if it’s comfy! It stacks nicely with your other strands ❤️

If you plan to wear it as a bracelet most often I’d definitely keep it at whatever length works best on the wrist. One thing you could do if you want just a hair more length without changing the pearl order is use a wider clasp - lots of folks like Orbit clasps with the interlocking ovals (I don’t know if those work on the wrist or too bulky though) or even just a bigger ball clasp will give you a few mm extra ::)

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could use all or some of the extra pearls to make a necklace extender. Then you could wear it as a choker, a bracelet, or a longer strand.
The clasps would have to match so as to interconnect, of course. I expect you could get a matching clasp from PP.
They could even string the extender for you, if you don't wish to string it yourself.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
You could use all or some of the extra pearls to make a necklace extender. Then you could wear it as a choker, a bracelet, or a longer strand.
The clasps would have to match so as to interconnect, of course. I expect you could get a matching clasp from PP.
They could even string the extender for you, if you don't wish to string it yourself.

Oh, that’s a really good idea!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results