shape
carat
color
clarity

Ground your child? That''s a suing!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/2009/04/07/mtl-quebecgirl-sues-dad-0407.html

A father grounded his daugther because he caught her browsing Internet websites that he had previously blocked and had good reason to believe that she was posting inappropriate pictures of herself. Punishment? She wasn't allowed to go on a class trip.

Get this--she sued and WON.

38.gif

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
I thought I''d seen it all....until now.

Were I a parent, my reaction would be "the day the court decides they have the right to override my parental decisions is the day THEY can assume responsibility for her COMPLETELY. Let them financially support and raise her."

That''s the most ludricrous thing I''ve ever read.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
*sputter*

*sputter*

*sputter*

23.gif

I just read through 12 pages of comments to look for the April Fool''s Joke punchline. How can this be?

And more importantly, can I raise my daughter in a cave somewhere?
39.gif

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
I have no idea but I can''t believe it!
So ridiculous!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
No words...
15.gif

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s just... sad. I don''t even know what else to say.

Speechless, really.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
My respect for Canada has plummeted.

There is more to this story, but the pervasive stupidity makes it hard to bother researching.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/7/2009 10:40:51 PM
Author: swimmer

There is more to this story, but the pervasive stupidity makes it hard to bother researching.
You actually dont see a lot of this sue-crazy behaviour here in Canada, especially compared to the States.

I bet the mother was behind all this - the daughter probably just threw a tantrum and the mum decided to use this against her ex.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It''s Quebec...they have different laws than the rest of the country. This case is absolutely ridiculous. I can''t even imagine it going to court anywhere else in Canada, the legal system is too bogged down with real cases!
3.gif
I can only imagine that the only one who won in this case was the lawyer. I bet the child sees very little monetary gain at all.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
That is completely UNBELIEVABLE!

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Are you FREAKIN kidding me?!?!!??!!??!?!

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hm. Just posted in another thread about parents working out their CRAP through the kids. You see it here. Clearly these parents are complete self-centered idiots. The mother supported this?? Well, there it is in a nutshell. Mom and dad don''t give a rat''s ass about the girl, they''re working out their divorce issues through HER. Lord.

April20

Ideal_Rock
This story blows my mind. I don''t even know what to say. All I know is that if I''d done something like this when I was growing up, well, I won''t say what probably would have happened.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/7/2009 10:13:06 PM
Author: Allison D.
I thought I''d seen it all....until now.

Were I a parent, my reaction would be ''the day the court decides they have the right to override my parental decisions is the day THEY can assume responsibility for her COMPLETELY. Let them financially support and raise her.''

That''s the most ludricrous thing I''ve ever read.

Ditto.

InLuv101

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, it is absolutely amazing that this can happen! I''m utterly saddened.
15.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
That girl does sound like a spoiled brat. She''s sure going to learn to regret her actions.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Just an example of what can happen when divorced parents don''t back each other up on discipline-the kids will take advantage of the situation.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s crazy. Totally ridiculous.

girlie-girl

Brilliant_Rock
Wow... that''s absolutely ludicrous!
23.gif
32.gif
33.gif

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beyond belief! I hope that the father has her written out of the will. What do you do in a situation like that? All your ability as a parent and belief in your ability as a parent has gone.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I have never seen another child that has been in such need of a spanking than that one.

And her mother! SHE needs an a$$ whopping, too!

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/7/2009 11:38:15 PM
Author: kama_s

You actually dont see a lot of this sue-crazy behaviour here in Canada, especially compared to the States.

I bet the mother was behind all this - the daughter probably just threw a tantrum and the mum decided to use this against her ex.
I agree Kama, this is a rare case for Canada! There must be more to this story !! My mother got hit by a drunk driver, and had severe injuries..and got next to nothing, trying to fight it in court (lawsuit). We always joke and say "if we lived in the US..we would have gotten millions !".

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 1:48:24 PM
Author: beau13
Date: 4/7/2009 11:38:15 PM

Author: kama_s

I agree Kama, this is a rare case for Canada! There must be more to this story !! My mother got hit by a drunk driver, and had severe injuries..and got next to nothing, trying to fight it in court (lawsuit). We always joke and say ''if we lived in the US..we would have gotten millions !''.

So you''re saying that we''re sue happy in the states? That''s pretty rude. fraud and frivolity exists everywhere and in every culture. I personally don''t know anyone who has been injured in an accident and sued for frivolous reasons.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Beau. IMO Americans are VERY sue-happy compared to other countries. I don''t think it''s rude, I think it''s a sad fact.
21.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 10:52:33 PM
Author: luckystar112
I agree with Beau. IMO Americans are VERY sue-happy compared to other countries. I don''t think it''s rude, I think it''s a sad fact.
21.gif
I don''t know if it''s a fact, but I always thought America seemed very sue happy. We (my mom and dad) were sued many years ago and it pretty much made us lose everything. I told my parents, "Look on the bright side, we''re REAL AMERICANS now! We''ve been sued!!!"
3.gif

beau13

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Beau. IMO Americans are VERY sue-happy compared to other countries. I don't think it's rude, I think it's a sad fact.
21.gif
Actually it was Kama that made that comment, I happened to agree with her though! lol.
I have alot of friends/family that are lawyers..and we always hear them say things like "this isn't the U.S", when we discuss lawsuits.
In Canada..it's kind of common knowledge that in the US..there are alot of smaller cases that go to court (example: neighbour's dog bites "other" neighbour) and usually settle for an enormous amount of money. (hundreds of thousands). Here in Canada, you can get hit by a drunk driver, suffer life threatening injuries, have your case tossed around for years, while you may walk away with $ 5000 after all is said and done. Canada's legal system is VERY different from that of the US. This is what Kama and I are trying to get across!!
26.gif

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I think this case is absolutely foolish...complete nonsense. Parenting sounds so hard...you can be sued over being to proactive, and sued for being to lax...you better find that happy medium!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 7:33:13 AM
Author: beau13

21.gif
Actually it was Kama that made that comment, I happened to agree with her though! lol.
I have alot of friends/family that are lawyers..and we always hear them say things like ''this isn''t the U.S'', when we discuss lawsuits.
In Canada..it''s kind of common knowledge that in the US..there are alot of smaller cases that go to court (example: neighbour''s dog bites ''other'' neighbour) and usually settle for an enormous amount of money. (hundreds of thousands). Here in Canada, you can get hit by a drunk driver, suffer life threatening injuries, have your case tossed around for years, while you may walk away with $ 5000 after all is said and done. Canada''s legal system is VERY different from that of the US. This is what Kama and I are trying to get across!!
26.gif
Seems like a happy medium would be in order!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results