shape
carat
color
clarity

Grey Spinel Vendors/Setting process

Kaitie_did

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

I have posted about looking for a grey spinel and have not been able to find anyone who has exactly what I am looking for. I have been in contact with someone from Madly Gems. Has anyone used them? Feedback? :confused: They are quoting me around $200 a carat for a dark grey spinel. I talked to Elle from the Gemstone Project and she quoted me a much higher price than Madly Gems. I also spoke with Jeff Davis and he had nothing available at the moment and seemed less than helpful. :(sad I have browsed the vendor list and haven't found much more information.

I also want to know about the process of buying a setting for a stone. Do I pick the stone first then worry about the setting, or pick the setting and try to find the stone? I know someone had posted the steps to creating a custom ring, but I just cannot find them anywhere.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks so much!! :wavey:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm familiar with madly gems though I have not bought from them I think they are someone I would if I was in the market. They also seem to make lovely settings if you wanted to get everything all in one place.

Can they get you one of those lovely antique style cushions?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This one might tick your boxes but I am not sure. I know you said you were looking for dark grey in an asscher or cushion. This is an emerald and very dark. It has flashes but close to black. I know you dont want black. But... Anyways you have to search for the word spinel but the gem is halfway down the page. It's over 2 CTS and 100/CT

http://www.djraregems.com/finegems.html

picsart_12-28-08.jpg

picsart_45.jpg

Kaitie_did

Rough_Rock
Niel|1482929938|4109998 said:
I'm familiar with madly gems though I have not bought from them I think they are someone I would if I was in the market. They also seem to make lovely settings if you wanted to get everything all in one place.

Can they get you one of those lovely antique style cushions?

I am very picky lol. I do like the one you posted, although I am looking for an asscher cut and would like it set in a halo setting. I appreciate the feedback! :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Price per carat will depend on the quality of the stone, overhead costs, availability of the product, how quickly the vendor wants to move the gem and etc, so I cannot comment on the price difference.

Stone first, then setting. This way, you are not further constrained by shape and measurements. It is difficult enough to find a gemstone that ticks all your boxes. Settings can be modified to fit your stone.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
always pick the stone first. Going the other way around is .... a pain in the rear...lol

Spinels are generally not cut into asschers and IMO if you really want to go that route, you'll likely end up with a custom cut unless one popped up (if it does, consider it)

gemcal has some non-asscher grey spinel if you decide to go that route.
http://gemcal.com/gemstones/spinel?p=1

Kaitie_did

Rough_Rock
Arcadian|1482942204|4110041 said:
always pick the stone first. Going the other way around is .... a pain in the rear...lol

Spinels are generally not cut into asschers and IMO if you really want to go that route, you'll likely end up with a custom cut unless one popped up (if it does, consider it)

gemcal has some non-asscher grey spinel if you decide to go that route.
http://gemcal.com/gemstones/spinel?p=1

They do have some very nice options. Do you have any idea why they are not typically cut into asschers? Just curious.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is rare for a spinel to come in a blocky shape which is required for an asscher cut (needs a lot of depth), since most are not mined from the traditional hard rock primary deposits but from alluvial deposits where they are washed downstream.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great find, Lilysweet!

Kaitie_did

Rough_Rock
Beautiful Lillysweet! Thanks!

S

SparkliesLuver

What exactly are you looking for size-wise? And what's your budget?

Kaitie_did

Rough_Rock
SparkliesLuver|1483449881|4111845 said:
What exactly are you looking for size-wise? And what's your budget?

I am looking for a 2-3 (on the bigger side is better) carat darker straight(not so much blue, green, or purple hues) grey spinel in an asscher cut, I would like it set in a halo setting with either diamonds or some sort of diamond looking gem around it. As for budget, I was hoping to stay around $1200 but we are currently on hold as our household budget is not allowing us to spend that money at this moment.

S

SparkliesLuver

Are all of those things a must-have? Asschers require a very large piece of rough since it's such a deep cut, so they're not quite as plentiful. As long as you're okay waiting, I think you might find it though.

This seems to be pretty close to what you're looking for: https://www.etsy.com/listing/486891455/197ct-medium-dark-gray-spinel-cushion?ref=shop_home_active_30

Gary just listed a large, dark gray asscher but it's also quite purple: http://www.finewatergems.com/store/p233/4.46_ct_Purple%2FGray_Spinel.html

_1530.png

_1531.png

Kaitie_did

Rough_Rock
SparkliesLuver|1483710482|4112921 said:
Are all of those things a must-have? Asschers require a very large piece of rough since it's such a deep cut, so they're not quite as plentiful. As long as you're okay waiting, I think you might find it though.

This seems to be pretty close to what you're looking for: https://www.etsy.com/listing/486891455/197ct-medium-dark-gray-spinel-cushion?ref=shop_home_active_30

Gary just listed a large, dark gray asscher but it's also quite purple: http://www.finewatergems.com/store/p233/4.46_ct_Purple%2FGray_Spinel.html

I have spoken with Elle and unfortunately she is a bit out of my price range. And the other one is quite purple. All of those are requirements, I am willing to wait for the perfect gem to come in. I am making a commitment to this ring for a long time and want to make sure it is exactly what I like. I understand that might be waiting, but I am fine with that.

S

SparkliesLuver

Okay. That's good to know. Since Tucson is upon us, and you have pretty strict requirements, I'd say to reach out to a cutter who thinks they can help you. That way they can look for rough or a stone to re-cut. Some might even hold onto whatever they find until you're ready, if they know you're serious.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is 1200 for the stone alone?

Kaitie_did

Rough_Rock
SparkliesLuver:
Thanks for all the help I really appreciate it. I will contact someone and see if they can't work with me. I am serious in what I want and am definitely going to buy, its just getting the funds together as are in the process of buying a house and that comes first over buying a ring.

NKOTB:
I would like to stay around $1200 for the entire ring. This ring will be an engagement ring for a couple of years until we can afford to upgrade to something a bit more expensive.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I prefer to be upfront now. I highly doubt you can get the entire ring for $1200 because the halo setting is going to eat up almost all of that budget. Couple that with wanting a 3 ct asscher gray spinel with no blue, violet, etc. Most will have a bit of violet, and most are not deep enough for an asscher cut, and you are most likely to need to go the custom cut route. On the bright side, you have lots of time to look.

Kaitie_did

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1484057956|4113995 said:
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I prefer to be upfront now. I highly doubt you can get the entire ring for $1200 because the halo setting is going to eat up almost all of that budget. Couple that with wanting a 3 ct asscher gray spinel with no blue, violet, etc. Most will have a bit of violet, and most are not deep enough for an asscher cut, and you are most likely to need to go the custom cut route. On the bright side, you have lots of time to look.

Do you think even if I got a halo with something other than diamonds, some other diamond looking stone, do you think it would still cost as much? I like the honesty. I want to know what I am getting into without the surprises. I am ok with a stone with some violet or some blue, I just would rather it to look more grey than those colors if that makes any sense.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry to say that I agree with Chrono. Even a preloved setting will likely cost in the 650+ range, and that's assuming you can find one you like that will fit your finger AND the stone. Prices will vary somewhat on the stone - the darker, the cheaper, generally.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well darn it would have fit a stock setting.

I guess all I can say is with your budget flexibility and patience are crucial. Hopefully you find something

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results