shape
carat
color
clarity

Grey spinel and diamonds by DKJ

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@yssie - they really are terribly beautiful. If you like *interesting* jewelry, you'll like them a lot. And I think the role of diamonds with grey spinel is to emphasize whatever color the spinel reflects. They give light to the spinel, while still emphasizing the spinel's color. And they're easy on the eye, too, y'know? It's a very restful look. I could totally see you with one of these.

Hi Alene - I love that - "shifty"! I'm really happy with the setting. I had a very specific style in mind, and I think we hit it. i think, too, it will look better in real life, when reality calms down the color and makes it more subtle. Anyway, we'll see how it turns out when it's on the hand; skin tone really effects your more gentle colored stones.

Thanks, @marcy! I'm only doing projects that are forever projects at this point, so I'm throwing a few more bucks at each one these days. I'm trying to make sure I have all the pieces I've really wanted throughout my life and that I enjoy each of them actively. It's had an impact, too, approaching each piece in this manner, and has given me far better outcomes that I've previously had during my life. Once you say to yourself "Ok. This is forever." - it makes an impact. Anyway, thank you for your kind words. :))

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, I love that! Can't wait to see the finished product on your hand. What a great stone! I love the cut, color and the color changing shifts. Awesome!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lol - thank you, @Dandi! I'm very happy with it. It's quite different to what you usually see, but I'm captivated by its different looks in different lights. I think I'll wear it a lot.

Hi @luv2sparkle :wavey: Thank you for your kind comments! The cut is fabulous and really makes the most of the different shades in the spinel. It really is everything I hoped for.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, bit of a problem here. I arrived in LA, drove straight to DKJ and picked up the spinel ring, as well as a small solitaire (which is in the < 1ct thread) and immediately came back to the friends' house and started working on their (hot pink, I might add!!) Christmas tree. it needed to have all its fronds fluffed out, which scratched up my hands and, after about an hour, when I'd finished and pulled out my hands, they were itchy, scratched and, over the next hour, increasingly swollen.

I only got one photo before they swelled up like balloons, so asked my goddaughter to hand model for me so I could get just a couple more. I took the photos outside, so hopefully it gives some idea of the depth of color.

First photo was on my rapidly swelling hand - next 2 are on my goddaughter's. I think the color is spectacular.

20181211_163021.jpg

20181211_163433.jpg

20181211_163509.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AHHH!!! It's gorgeous!!!!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
It got me at 'Hello'!

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous - as always!!! I saw this on David’s IG and thought right away, “Now there’s an amazing spinel ring I’d love to have...” I should’ve known! =)2

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love it - what a moody, brooding colour! And the side stones are genius with it - such an interesting and different look.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aggghhhh!!!! It's GORGEOUS!!! Like blindingly, simply, beautifully, perfectly GORGEOUS!! Well done mrs-b!!!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@AV_ it got ME at hello, too! It's so unlike anything else I've had - I think it stands out as 'something a bit different'. It wears beautifully with a band, tho, so gives off a very engagement-y kind of feel. Love it!

@stonewell, seriously, we should plan a rendezvous at DKJ to drink some eggnog with Amy and spread a little Christmas bling! I'm glad you like my ring; I think it's awesome. And - are you enjoying your new e-ring? Is the extra size really hitting the spot? I want to see this baby in person!!

@lissyflo - 'brooding' - YES! It really is like a stormy sky before a downpour - just so sensuous and lush and just a little bit threatening in color. But the diamonds lift it from 'drab' into 'glorious'. I really enjoy this ring as something unlike anything I've had before.

Thank you, @rainydaze! I'm so glad you like it! It's actually rather nice to have a break from diamonds, tho the colored gem rabbit hole is one I. Must. Not. Go. Down!! (I could, tho...oooooohhh so easily!!)

Last edited:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's one I was able to snap before my hands swelled up. In this photo, taken indoors with an overcast sky and low light, the spinel looks almost black. It has a surprising amount of sparkle, tho - even at this light - which the photo isn't picking up.

20181211_144745.jpg

Mcgregor

Shiny_Rock
Another elegant piece you have managed to create! Beautiful!!

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My word, this ring is just outstanding!!!

lorrissey

Brilliant_Rock
That spinel is amazing!!! love!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness, that is gorgeous, mrs b!!!! I absolutely love it!!! :love::love::love:

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b, it's always a pleasure to see your creations on here! Your taste in jewelry is magnificent and I'm always just a little pb&jelly when you show off your beautiful collection.

One day when you're 'done' I hope that you do a family shot!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
with an overcast sky and low light, the spinel looks almost black. It has a surprising amount of sparkle

It is the look I had expected from the transparent dark gray or black diamonds, but never managed to even hear of one larger than a speck with good enough clarity. It is very good news that dark spinel entirely fulfills this wish for something very dark, with very fine crystal quality... Thank you indeed!

rubysweettart

Shiny_Rock
I didn't know about spinel before PS but I'm in love!!!!! :love: It's stunning on your hand and so gorgeous with your coloring!

Adding one to my wishlist....

(Also, your god-daughter is a lovely hand model.)

paperunicorn

Shiny_Rock
Absolutely lovely. I just love the size of it and how it sits on your finger. And the color..."pigeon breast" is a wonderful way of describing it. I may have to add grey spinel to my eventual wishlist!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a beautiful ring. I would never have expected to be drawn to a grey stone but I am and I want one!! :kiss2:

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@stonewell, seriously, we should plan a rendezvous at DKJ to drink some eggnog with Amy and spread a little Christmas bling! I'm glad you like my ring; I think it's awesome. And - are you enjoying your new e-ring? Is the extra size really hitting the spot? I want to see this baby in person!!

That would be lovely; let’s do it! And to be clear, I LOVE your ring - it is absolutely beautiful and looks amazing on your hand.

You’ll be happy (relieved, maybe? :lol:) to hear I’m over the moon with my new ring - she’s perfect.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Mcgregor - Merry Christmas! And I'm so glad you like my new ring. :)) I think she's very elegant and quite unusual. She's also very easy to wear - which is a huge plus. Hopefully one day soon you'll get to see her on my finger in person! Wishing you and your family every joy this festive season. :wavey:

Thanks @Starfacet. I always knew I was going to love her, but I wasn't sure what anyone else would think. Truth be told, I came very close to just putting her in a solitaire, but the more I thought about it, the more I wanted to glam her up a bit and do all I could to bring out 'the depths of her soul'! Gees...it's like talking about a tortured adolescent, isn't it!!

Hi @lorrissey. :)) And thank you! I love spinels. I think their color range is just magnificent. I'd LOVE a big, electric red specimen as well, but I suspect that will never happen. I'm so glad the grays are under-rated or this one would have been a whole lot more than I paid for it!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@diamondseeker2006 - hallo! I've missed you lately. I'm glad you like the new acquisition. I still have a couple i the pipeline but, frankly, that's more mentally than in actuality. We'll see what 2019 brings. In the meantime, this crossed a very specific project off my list and I'm very happy to have it in my collection. I'm planning to do a new diamond project somewhere in 2019, but we'll see how that goes. I'm thinking of a WhiteFlash 'starter diamond'. I'd like to have another solitaire in the 3.5ct range, but that would take a while. Watch this space! And - Merry Christmas, my friend! God's richest blessings to you and yours this Yuletide! ox

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's beautiful and reminds me of the sea right before a storm, all dark greys and purples. Fabulous!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @metall - and thank you! I will DEFINITELY do a family shot when done. I suspect I'll go to the grave still upgrading a WF diamond, but all the many and varied 'projects' are just about done. I have my yellow sapphire to go and a beautiful rubellite I'd like to set in a yellow diamond halo. But apart from that..... ;))

@AV_ - YES!! I agree. This is how black diamond should look...but doesn't, on the whole. It feels very glam to me, but not as heavy or colorless / opaque as the black diamonds I see. I love it. :kiss2:

Hi @rubysweettart Yes! Spinels are glorious! There's a stunning red example currently for sale on LT which I simple cannot justify. But it's worth having a look at if you'd like to see some good examples of spinel. Have a look also at cushiongem.com to see some glorious examples - then watch your wallet bleed dry! One learns to love colored stones so much, the pain aaaalmost goes unnoticed..... :mrgreen:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @paperunicorn - and welcome! Every jewelry lover should own at least one beautiful spinel - their colors are just so lush! Tell us, what's on your wishlist? We'd love to hear! :wavey:

@stonewell - Ok. That's it. I need to see this new goddess. I'm here till early on the 22nd. If there's some way we could do this, get some eggnog, and go bug DKJ for a bit, can you let me know? I would LOVE to see you!

Merry Christmas, @Catmom! Yes - definitely a stormy sea kind of feel. But also veeeery early in the morning - when the sky starts to lighten, but the sun hasn't risen yet. She's moody, but she isn't depressed in her moodiness. I have to say, this would have made a gorgeous engagement ring, if one had wanted a colored stone e-ring. She's restrained and classy enough not to look 'cocktail-ish', and she looks beautiful with my Tiffany Legacy platinum band. Best wishes to you and your family this Christmas, and I hope 2019 brings you every good thing. ox

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @paperunicorn - and welcome! Every jewelry lover should own at least one beautiful spinel - their colors are just so lush! Tell us, what's on your wishlist? We'd love to hear! :wavey:

@stonewell - Ok. That's it. I need to see this new goddess. I'm here till early on the 22nd. If there's some way we could do this, get some eggnog, and go bug DKJ for a bit, can you let me know? I would LOVE to see you!

Merry Christmas, @Catmom! Yes - definitely a stormy sea kind of feel. But also veeeery early in the morning - when the sky starts to lighten, but the sun hasn't risen yet. She's moody, but she isn't depressed in her moodiness. I have to say, this would have made a gorgeous engagement ring, if one had wanted a colored stone e-ring. She's restrained and classy enough not to look 'cocktail-ish', and she looks beautiful with my Tiffany Legacy platinum band. Best wishes to you and your family this Christmas, and I hope 2019 brings you every good thing. ox

Merry Christmas to you and your family too, mrs-b, and the doggies!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@diamondseeker2006 - hallo! I've missed you lately. I'm glad you like the new acquisition. I still have a couple i the pipeline but, frankly, that's more mentally than in actuality. We'll see what 2019 brings. In the meantime, this crossed a very specific project off my list and I'm very happy to have it in my collection. I'm planning to do a new diamond project somewhere in 2019, but we'll see how that goes. I'm thinking of a WhiteFlash 'starter diamond'. I'd like to have another solitaire in the 3.5ct range, but that would take a while. Watch this space! And - Merry Christmas, my friend! God's richest blessings to you and yours this Yuletide! ox

I wish you the same, dear mrs-b! :kiss2:

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi @metall - and thank you! I will DEFINITELY do a family shot when done. I suspect I'll go to the grave still upgrading a WF diamond, but all the many and varied 'projects' are just about done. I have my yellow sapphire to go and a beautiful rubellite I'd like to set in a yellow diamond halo. But apart from that..... ;))

I can not wait! I love seeing everyone's collections, it really helps me visualize what I think I want in mine for the far distant future, and I'm hoping that by following in more experienced footsteps, I won't make too many costly mistakes :kiss2::kiss2:

Every time I see these posts of yours the back of my mind goes...uh huh...so let's add that to my wish list at number....1709759845. Alas, with the new-ish house, a wedding, and law school in 2020 I will just have to start small =)2=)2.

Ohhhh we can be upgrade buddies! My DF totally just got on board with me buying an "upgrade" stone for our anniversary! One that I can slowly put money into until it hits some magic number that makes me go THIS is perfect. I haven't decided between a CBI or a WF ACA yet though. May I ask if there's any particular reason you're going with WF over CBI? (please feel free to tell me I'm a nosey nelly if you don't want to divulge this online)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results