shape
carat
color
clarity

Grey spinel and diamonds by DKJ

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've wanted a cushion cut gray spinel for forever - and I finally bought one about 18 months ago. It's a beautiful gem - gray with pink, blue and purple undertones, cut by Jeff...Davies? I'm not sure of his name, but I think that's correct - can someone correct me pls if that's not right? Anyway, various other projects came and went before I got to it, but finally it was time to set it! It's roughly 8.25 x 7.5mm, and the diamonds are 6 x 10 pointers. Setting is in platinum. I won't receive it until next week, but I was too excited not to post the pro photos. :))

The stone isn't nearly as purple as it came out in the DKJ photos; my photo is a much better representation of the color. But the undertones are strong, and it's moody - showing different colors in different lightings, and I have definitely seen the level of purple in it that's showing up in the DKJ photos. Love it!

20180514_174156_resized.jpg

DJKPV_1207_E_PS-1.jpg

DJKPV_1207_E_PS-2.jpg

DJKPV_1207_E_PS-3.jpg

DJKPV_1207_E_PS-4.jpg

DJKPV_1207_E_PS-5.jpg

Last edited:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely beautiful! I do love a moody stone & the setting you’ve chosen for this one is perfect. Those claws! :love: Platinum was the perfect choice to set this beauty off, even though I know you love 18ct yellow gold.

On a serious note, please tell me you have nothing else in the works still to show us, because I cannot take anymore drooling at your pieces. Are you trying to kill us??! :lol:

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous! I’m a colored stone gal at heart!

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
@mrs-b Yeah! It looks great! You made me want those corner claws for sure!:love: Perfection!
Thank you for sharing!!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh My! I love the design and cushion, everything works so well. Can't wait to see handshots

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's so beautiful @mrs-b:love: add me to the chorus of those wanting to see hand pics. What a gorgeous ring, so feminine and elegant.:love:

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooooh this is delightful. Can’t wait to see handshots @mrs-b..

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous! I love the proportions.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, @Alex T! :wavey:

I have 2 more projects in the works at the moment - but one is very small, and one is for someone else, so nothing to make anyone jealous. :)) I'm doing a pair of .82 ctw bezeled studs for a girlfriend of mine, and I have a small AVR - .64 E VS2 - which my god-kids are giving me for Christmas. It's actually for a different project, but I thought they'd like to see me wear it the day they give it to me, and I'm not sure they realize it doesn't come already set. So I'm doing a 'stealth setting' with DKJ, so when it comes, it will be a ring they can see me wear, rather than just a little stone in a box. :)

In the new year, however, I'll be setting my Jeff White yellow sapphire. It's not huge - 7.4mm - but the color is glorious. It will be a three stone, with 2 x .64ct AVRs - one on either side (one will be the one from the ring I'm currently doing for Christmas) - and it will be in rose gold, with the diamonds set in platinum.

At some point in the future, I also want to get a diamond solitaire in platinum - nothing huge - something between 1 and 1.4ct. But I think that will be pretty much it for me. I might do one more diamond bangle the same as the one I already have, and I'll probably keep trading up the soli diamond I buy. But the rush of projects - and the desire to do many more of them - has largely gone. I just about have everything I want, so I'm slowing down at this point. I've thought about large diamond studs, but I know I wouldn't wear them, so I'm looking at 3, possibly 4, projects left for the rest of my days.

People always laugh when I say that and say "Oh, you'll keep going!" - but the truth is - I'm not like that and never have been with anything. When my mix-and-match collection is complete, I'll be done.

But I still have a few things to go, and am looking forward very much to seeing them in the flesh, rather than just in my head! :))

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MakingTheGrade - thank you! How are you doing with your new moi et toi project? I love it! It's off the charts quirky, and will look fabulous, with a massive amount of je ne sais quoi!

@CHRISTY-DANIELLE - you're very welcome! Yes, I LOVE the corner prongs! I know you're considering black gold - and I think that would be FABULOUS with your spinel - but I'd like to see your accents be diamonds if you're going the black gold route; I think it would perk it up and make the whole thing so eye catching. But either way, I'll be following your journey and will look forward to seeing where you land! :appl:

Thank you, @D&T! And...look at your new ring! WOW! Are you loving it or has it not arrived yet? I hope you get years of joy from it; it's a stunner!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful moody stone! The setting is perfect for it. I can't wait to see the hand pics.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @missy :)) Unfortunately, I won't get it for another week, until I'm out in LA and can pick it up in person. I HATE shipping jewelry - it always gives me the willies! I'm really looking forward to it, tho, so hand shots will be forthcoming as soon as I get it! :mrgreen:

Thank you, @foxinsox! I think it's lovely. I wanted something very architectural looking - very clean lines, high polish, substantial by elegant. I'm very happy with how this turned out!

Hi @eapj :wavey: Me too. If anything, I might have had the side stones every so slightly smaller, but on the other hand, I didn't want it not to be substantial, so I'm probably where I need to be. So...thank you! :))

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOVE!!! What a beautiful stone and I'm so impressed with the workmanship. It's so fluid and yummy =)2.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, @Alex T! :wavey:

I have 2 more projects in the works at the moment - but one is very small, and one is for someone else, so nothing to make anyone jealous. :)) I'm doing a pair of .82 ctw bezeled studs for a girlfriend of mine, and I have a small AVR - .64 E VS2 - which my god-kids are giving me for Christmas. It's actually for a different project, but I thought they'd like to see me wear it the day they give it to me, and I'm not sure they realize it doesn't come already set. So I'm doing a 'stealth setting' with DKJ, so when it comes, it will be a ring they can see me wear, rather than just a little stone in a box. :)

In the new year, however, I'll be setting my Jeff White yellow sapphire. It's not huge - 7.4mm - but the color is glorious. It will be a three stone, with 2 x .64ct AVRs - one on either side (one will be the one from the ring I'm currently doing for Christmas) - and it will be in rose gold, with the diamonds set in platinum.

At some point in the future, I also want to get a diamond solitaire in platinum - nothing huge - something between 1 and 1.4ct. But I think that will be pretty much it for me. I might do one more diamond bangle the same as the one I already have, and I'll probably keep trading up the soli diamond I buy. But the rush of projects - and the desire to do many more of them - has largely gone. I just about have everything I want, so I'm slowing down at this point. I've thought about large diamond studs, but I know I wouldn't wear them, so I'm looking at 3, possibly 4, projects left for the rest of my days.

People always laugh when I say that and say "Oh, you'll keep going!" - but the truth is - I'm not like that and never have been with anything. When my mix-and-match collection is complete, I'll be done.

But I still have a few things to go, and am looking forward very much to seeing them in the flesh, rather than just in my head! :))

I’m also looking forward to seeing them all in the “flesh” i.e. screen. But one day I may surprise you & get my arse over the the Boston / NY area to meet up with you & @missy Just need the kids to be a bit more self sufficient & a husband who has finally slowed down at work, so that he can take time off to be with them whilst I globe trot (inset image of the 3 of them in their PJ’s for 5 days straight, watching movies, playing computer games & eating utter sh!t) And then, oh baby, I shall be diving right into your box of treasures for a trying on & daydreaming session!

Golden_bird

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi @missy :)) Unfortunately, I won't get it for another week, until I'm out in LA and can pick it up in person. I HATE shipping jewelry - it always gives me the willies! I'm really looking forward to it, tho, so hand shots will be forthcoming as soon as I get it! :mrgreen:

Thank you, @foxinsox! I think it's lovely. I wanted something very architectural looking - very clean lines, high polish, substantial by elegant. I'm very happy with how this turned out!

Hi @eapj :wavey: Me too. If anything, I might have had the side stones every so slightly smaller, but on the other hand, I didn't want it not to be substantial, so I'm probably where I need to be. So...thank you! :))
It’s a gorgeous ring !! Everything is spot on !!! @mrs-b ! I am one of those indecisive girls when it comes to picking something one and forever :oops2: over the year I change my mind on lots of settings -hope I am not along :)) and I truely now know that I love 3 stones rings ! I just purchase a diamond and ready to make it in a three stone . Can you plz advice me ,what’s usual hight of setting do you ask ? What’s the biggest tip you can give overall ? I am gonna do it with David thank you again ! I am a fan of your all diamond and jewelry collection :love:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOVE this setting for your Spinel cushion - everything about it just sings - slam-dunk once again mrs-b !

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, this turned out perfectly! I love those claw prongs and the side diamonds were the perfect choice! Simple yet elegant. A real classy lady. :love:

I can’t wait to see your pics.

ETA: did you have that done with the regular bench or with DKs Uber bench?

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I have a small AVR - .64 E VS2 - which my god-kids are giving me for Christmas. ... and I'm not sure they realize it doesn't come already set. So I'm doing a 'stealth setting' with DKJ, so when it comes, it will be a ring they can see me wear, rather than just a little stone in a box.

:clap::clap::clap: to your god-kids;

& more claps due for the gift receiving side too.

Such a nice story!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, @Catmom! I love a moody stone also. This one is true pigeon breast color. I wish I could capture it better, but everyone knows how hard it is to catch the true color of colored gems.

@JDDN - the workmanship, for which I can take no credit at all, is what makes this ring. I love high polished platinum, and I was going for a 'cold' look, without making it devoid of color or dull. I think we hit it. :))

@Alex T - you would be MORE than welcome, and I'd love to come down to NY to meet up with you and @missy. Have you ever been to NYC before? I highly recommend it! And Boston, too, is very beautiful - at the right time of year. Otherwise, it can be almost impossible to navigate, altho they do tend to keep the sidewalks snow-free in winter. Anyway, if ever you decide to come over, let me know!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @Golden_bird - how can I help you? I would be MORE than happy to pass on anything I've learnt over the years. I've had a stack of 3 stone rings and have loved every one, tho each one has been different to the next.

What size is your center diamond? I would say, beyond doubt, the main thing to get right in a 3 stone ring is the proportions between the three stones. I've had all sorts of proportions and I think it's largely dictated by the size of you center stone, what size your finger is, and how much coverage you want.

As for height, I've never asked for a specific height. I just ask for 'medium' and let David and Amy work it out from there. Most of the height, tho, will be determined by whether you want to fit a wedding band flush with your three-stone.

Tell us about your center diamond pls? And I'll happily give you any help I can! And thank you for your kind words about my beautiful spinel. :))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m also looking forward to seeing them all in the “flesh” i.e. screen. But one day I may surprise you & get my arse over the the Boston / NY area to meet up with you & @missy Just need the kids to be a bit more self sufficient & a husband who has finally slowed down at work, so that he can take time off to be with them whilst I globe trot (inset image of the 3 of them in their PJ’s for 5 days straight, watching movies, playing computer games & eating utter sh!t) And then, oh baby, I shall be diving right into your box of treasures for a trying on & daydreaming session!

@Alex T - you would be MORE than welcome, and I'd love to come down to NY to meet up with you and @missy. Have you ever been to NYC before? I highly recommend it! And Boston, too, is very beautiful - at the right time of year. Otherwise, it can be almost impossible to navigate, altho they do tend to keep the sidewalks snow-free in winter. Anyway, if ever you decide to come over, let me know!

I'm in! Just let me know the date girls and we will have a wonderfully fun and delicious day. :appl:
1899448obhhwxi0xs.gif

1237397y6kr97ild4.gif

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh I am with you @mrs-b. I hate shipping jewelry and am a nervous wreck till it arrives. One of the reasons I want to do a local reset with Bubbalah vs shipping her out to a long distance vendor.
Looking forward to your hand shots when you receive your precious parcel. Very excited for you!

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
:love:

In my head, I have two different types of coloured stone that I would love. One being a rich bluish or purplish red, and the other being... This! Oh my gosh what a lovely colour, I love the ideal of a moody grey stone with blue and purple and pink undertones, it's stunning!

Would you go as far as to say it's colour change? Like, the purple in the pictures looks quite striking... What about the blue and pink hues? I can see blue in your picture...

Mmmm delicious. :lickout:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ack!! I can't wait to see the finished ring. Seriously LOVE that stone. Gorgeous!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just beautiful @mrs-b!

I remember reading a message from you and wondering how grey spinel and diamonds would look together - both very sparkly material, both greyscale, perhaps with a slight tone difference?

And now I see your photo, and your glamour pics, and I suddenly understand what you mean - and what Liz and other CSers always mean - when y’all talk about grey spinels reflecting the colours around them. Diamonds are colourless too, but there’s just too much... activity? I don’t have the right word - to really mirror their surroundings. Diamonds give you quick disconnected snapshots of their surroundings. Spinel, though, more reserved... I imagine it’s more like watching a movie of a grey spinel’s environment play out in the depths of its facets...

And now I want one too. :kiss2:

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Love the way it turned out! Such a great setting and loving the shifty color of your spinel! Like everyone else, can’t wait for those hand shots!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awwww - thank you, @marymm! What project are you working on at the moment? I know you always have something in the cooker!!

Thanks, @elle_71125 - and I LOVE your paraiba 3 stone! I always use the uber bench; it's a slower and more expensive process, but it's not like I'm going anywhere, so I have the time and, having used him a couple of time, it's probably a mind thing as much as anything else.

Thank you, @AV_ - I love them dearly and it's wonderful to celebrate Christmas with them each year, so I tend to go all out. :))

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy - I am truly behind your Bubbalah reset - I truly am! But...I am going to GRIEVE when you get your new setting! :cry2: Do you have a plan for your surrounding stones? A matching band...surely...? And yes - meeting up in NY would be perfect. As for shipping - I fly out to LA on Tuesday and am seriously considering a drive-by drop in to DKJ to pick up my new ring - the suspense is killing me!!

Hi @Lykame :wavey: She's a truly moody stone! She's a stormy sky, she's twilight, she's the feathers on a pigeon's breast - she's a true beauty! No, I wouldn't go so far as to say she's color change - she doesn't make it that easy for you! You have to look iiiinto her, and you'll see half a dozen different colors. She's an interesting stone and a true complex beauty who doesn't wear her heart on her sleeve! GET ONE! You'll love it!

Hi @LLJsmom :)) I was planning on driving in to LA on Saturday morning to pick her up while I'm out in Cali. But I've decided to do a drive-by when I first get there on Tuesday morning - so hand shots on Tuesday for SURE!!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mrs-b gorgoeus spinel and fabulous ring. What a keeper!!! Enjoy.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness, she's done it again! My bling idol :kiss2::kiss2: Spectacular!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results