shape
carat
color
clarity

Greeny Blue Natural Sapphire Wanted - HELP

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Please remember that if you import a stone to look at it and then decide to return it you may find it hard to reclaim the VAT you have paid when it arrives in the UK.

Ask for as much additional information as you can before having a stone sent. Some vendors will do something like a Skype chat over video so that you can see the stone that way - I did that when I bought my e-ring stone.

lee85

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone,

I am not overly convinced with the NSC sapphire either. The ones at gemfix.com look a lot nicer and I prefer the colour also. Only problem is I think the cushion cut 1.44ct stone may be a little bit too large, as I think she would like a halo (tiffany legacy type) setting and is a ring size J (UK). I would prefer something closer to 5 or 5.5mm wide.

I have requested some more photos of this one anyway, but still on the look out.

Jeweljunke

Shiny_Rock
Hi Lee. 6.25mm is tiny, and would look great with a halo. Maybe you can do a search for a picture of a 6mm stone with halo on someone's hand, so you could get an idea. Maybe some senior posters on PS would know where to look for photos like that.

lee85

Rough_Rock
Ok thanks jeweljunke, I'll have a search. Just some other jewellers had mentioned that anything over 6mm may look a bit too big for a size J finger.

Found another possible stone in the link below. Does anyone know anything about this company? On the expensive side again though.

http://www.capistranomining.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=582

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
A friend of mine here in the UK has a 7mm square cushion-cut sapphire in a halo setting and it doesn't look too big for an e-ring at all. She's very petite and takes a K fitting.

With smaller stones you need to be careful that the halo doesn't overpower it.

My own e-ring is 5.75 x 7.25 and I wouldn't go smaller than a 6 x 6 if I was going to halo and I take an L fitting.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
lee85|1337539498|3199796 said:
Ok thanks jeweljunke, I'll have a search. Just some other jewellers had mentioned that anything over 6mm may look a bit too big for a size J finger.

Found another possible stone in the link below. Does anyone know anything about this company? On the expensive side again though.

http://www.capistranomining.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=582

Unfortunately it's impossible to tell a thing - the background in the photos is exactly the same colour as the stone appears. I'd want to see the stone either on a hand or on a white - or even black background.

Shushinator

Rough_Rock
i have seen halo rings with a center stone that was too small. made the setting look clunky. might be alone on this but i think the Victorian era had something special with the small gemstone cluster rings.(this one unfort sold, is from eragem) i love the class & simplicity of this setting but a smaller center stone/larger (think these are mine cut) diamonds is what makes it in my opinion. a montana sapphire in the middle of this setting would be intense....

eraring.jpg

lee85

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for your help. I am pretty much decided on the gemfix stone, but waiting on further images/video before I make the final decision.

Also really like the look of that Leon Mege ring!

Jeweljunke

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful stone you chose. I like that Leon ring too, except I have rings like that with the pave down the band, and they can be uncomfortable to wear all the time. I would love that Leon ring a lot better, for me :naughty: , if the diamonds didn't go so far down the sides of the band, just maybe 3 or 4 stones on each side. Whatever you decide, please come back and show us!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
lee85|1337609823|3200185 said:
Thanks everyone for your help. I am pretty much decided on the gemfix stone, but waiting on further images/video before I make the final decision.

Hurray!!! Glad you selected something and please post photos when it's done :))

lee85

Rough_Rock
Enerchi|1337611104|3200195 said:

Hurray!!! Glad you selected something and please post photos when it's done :))

I will! ... Received an e-mail from gemfix and unfortunately they have said it's policy that they don't send any further photos or videos to customers. But based on the good reviews I think I'm prepared to take the risk.

RedSpinel

Shiny_Rock
lee85|1337288461|3197582 said:
I'm currently searching for greeny blue coloured natural untreated sapphire in a (square) cushion cut in the size region of 1ct and need urgent help as I only have two weeks left before my deadline (proposal)!

I have found a sapphire of this description on the naturalsapphirecompany.com however I am reluctant to buy because of the vast amount of negative reviews of the company (and possibly overpriced?). What are peoples thoughts on this? I have included the link below.

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Unique/U3607/Cushion/stoneid=U3607

Another note, I am based in the UK.

Thanks,

Lee

How much green do you want in the stone?

That sapphire doesnt appear to have much green, and it's pretty light, but it looks pretty good.

However, it's less than 1ct, and the price of $1,300 is way high in my opinion, for that size and color stone.
I was always told that having any significant green in a blue sapphire will reduce its value, which is a good thing here, because you are looking for a greenish stone! I've seen some cool greenish blue sapphires I'd like to own.

Jeweljunke

Shiny_Rock
I think you are very wise to go with the Gemfix stone. It's a beauty.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lee, I ordered 3 stones from them (think I mentioned that in an earlier post with the link to gemfix) and they were spot on for the colour. I asked a few questions back and forth in a series of emails and both Andrew and Laura were wonderful with information. I don't think I'm as advanced as others with coloured stones, but I still asked enough questions to feel very comfortable to go ahead with my purchases and when they arrived - they were even more lively and beautiful than I'd expected!

I hope it goes well for you and you are just as thrilled with the stone when you get it. The shipping was quick, and as I'm in Canada, I knew I had to pay duty but was a bit surprised by the amount of tax/duty... but oh well...

Can't wait to hear what you think when you get it!

Shushinator

Rough_Rock

the only thing to be aware of (not to stop you... i'd go for one of those stones myself if i hadnt just bought three nice tourmalines!) is that most of gemfix's montana's seem to be heat treated. id be curious to ask someone who knows why that is on these. i thought most of the montana's didnt require heat. they are top shelf pretty and the price is good because of the heating. even heated they are still rare and unique stone!

lee85

Rough_Rock
Yes I was hoping for an unheated one but the stone looks amazing on the website and the perfect colour so this doesn't bother me too much.

Order placed :) ... so now it's fingers crossed it doesn't get held up at customs for too long! A week on Friday is my deadline! :o ... won't be the end of the world if I don't have it for the proposal though, I have a plan B.

Shushinator

Rough_Rock
lee85|1337628691|3200375 said:
Yes I was hoping for an unheated one but the stone looks amazing on the website and the perfect colour so this doesn't bother me too much.

Order placed :) ... so now it's fingers crossed it doesn't get held up at customs for too long! A week on Friday is my deadline! :o ... won't be the end of the world if I don't have it for the proposal though, I have a plan B.
Yay! im excited for you and will cross my fingers that all goes flawlessly :) post pics when you get them!!

lee85

Rough_Rock
Don't suppose any knows what a typical waiting time is for customs in the UK? Anyway to make the process faster? Or do I simply sit back and wait for them to call me? :confused:

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Get the tracking number, obsessively track it online and when it gets to Stansted it may come up staying that the package is in customs - at this point ring them asap.

Don't wait for them to contact you - sometimes they don't bother for a couple of days, or they send you a letter instead...

You can pay over the phone with a credit-card and they should send it out that day or the next.

Hope it arrives in time and hope it's everything you want! Good luck with the proposal as well.

Finally, come back with photos of the finished ring!

lee85

Rough_Rock
Pandora|1337686297|3200796 said:
Get the tracking number, obsessively track it online and when it gets to Stansted it may come up staying that the package is in customs - at this point ring them asap.

Don't wait for them to contact you - sometimes they don't bother for a couple of days, or they send you a letter instead...

You can pay over the phone with a credit-card and they should send it out that day or the next.

Hope it arrives in time and hope it's everything you want! Good luck with the proposal as well.

Finally, come back with photos of the finished ring!

Thanks Pandora, don't suppose you know the phone number I should call? Will it definitely be Stansted?

Tracking currently states: Processed Through Sort Facility - May 22, 2012, 4:44 pm - ISC LOS ANGELES CA (USPS).

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Mine have always been through Stansted (I live in London) - I think the number comes up on the tracking system IIRC. Otherwise, there are numbers on google (put in the name of the airport/DHL/customs/telephone) if you see it stuck at a UK airport.

You might just get it in the post though. Depends how the parcel was set. I've had packages that were $3 over the allowance stopped and a bill, other times I've had parcels that were $50 over go straight through... with everything correctly declared as well. The bill never seems to completely make sense either, always a couple of £s more or sometimes less than I have expected.

HMC&E moves in mysterious ways (I spent a week doing work experience with them back in the late 80's - one of the most fun weeks of my life!)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shushinator|1337628057|3200367 said:
The only thing to be aware of (not to stop you... i'd go for one of those stones myself if i hadnt just bought three nice tourmalines!) is that most of gemfix's montana's seem to be heat treated. id be curious to ask someone who knows why that is on these. i thought most of the montana's didnt require heat. they are top shelf pretty and the price is good because of the heating. even heated they are still rare and unique stone!

Montana sapphires and Australian sapphires are now routinely heated. I applaude Gemfix for disclosing heat treatment.

lee85

Rough_Rock
Turns out I picked the right stone from Gemfix! She is over the moon with the stone and the ring we eventually got designed! :)

Thanks to everyone for their help.

I have attached a photo of the finished ring for people to see. It's not the best photo but it's the only one I have at this time!

I'm very happy with the quality of stone from Gemfix. The stone is generally greener than it looks in the attached photo but changes slightly depending on the light.

228553_10152035448310578_323785295_n.jpg

Jeweljunke

Shiny_Rock
Oh, that did turn out wonderfully. :appl: Please take and post more photos. Would love to see an outdoor photo and maybe a side view.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perfect size and all for her. More pics please.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results