shape
carat
color
clarity

green tourmalines. Verdelite?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ger100

Shiny_Rock
How does one distinguish the various types of green tourmaline: Verdeliite specifically. Chrome tourmaline fluoresces. Other than that I don''t see much difference. And I don''t get why JTV has a "Verdlite" ring (less than 1 ctw) going for a hefty price. Maybe because the stone looks like a nice green Tsavorite?? And no I''m not interested in buying it off JTV...learned my lesson there, thank you very much
41.gif
. Obviously I still screen their site...basically to see what "rarest of the rare" gemstone they happen to be touting this week.
31.gif

Thanks
Ger

FineAfricanGems

Rough_Rock
Hi Ger,

A useful basic test for determining chrome tourmalines from the less valuable greens is to look down the C-Axis with an incandescent light behind it. If it is a chrome you will see flashes of red in the C-Axis. This is due to the chromium content. Another useful field test with basic equipment is to look down the C-Axis and use the flame from a cigarette lighter or match on the other end. Again, you will see the red flashes confirming its ID. Hope this helps in some way.

Paul
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results