shape
carat
color
clarity

Green stone for pendant ~$500

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

basil

Brilliant_Rock
When we were first dating, my husband bought me a small lab-created emerald pendant from a mall store. The setting has never really been my taste, but I love it because it was so sweet and honest of him to pick it out for me. But now 3 years later, it''s getting kind of beat up.

I was thinking of replacing it with something nicer for our 1 year anniversary in September. But since we''ll be saving up for a house, the budget will be small. Ideally, I think I''d like a nice big tsavorite, but I don''t think that''s in the budget.

What stones should I consider? What vendors should I look into? It would be convenient if I could buy it from someone who could put it in a nice simple setting too.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Michael has some green tourmaline''s cut, you can email him, he''s also a jeweler so could also set it for you. His email is [email protected]

Does Barry set stones? I see jewelery pieces on his site...

I''ve learned of a lot of great gem cutters from PS, but actually not that many jewelers, sorry I can''t be more helpful.

People suggest Wink a lot, but I don''t know if that''s cost effective for a project this size, but I could be wrong.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you looking to replace it with another green stone?
Mint garnet
Tourmaline
Green sapphire can be inexpensive but sometimes not very attractive
Tsavorite
Chrome diopside (but not suitable for a ring though)
Chrome tourmaline

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
How big do you want it?

I got a .72 ct tsavorite for less than $300. It has that medium green color with some blue in it, so I am very happy with what I got for the price. I think it was the size that kept the price down. It faces up at about 5.5 mm I think.

Vendors I would suggest are Gary from finewater - I have approached him one, he didn't have want I wanted but was very nice. Berry from ACS is one of my favorites. I got my Tsav from ACS right before he took over. Wink's prices are a bit higher, but he could do both the stone and setting. You could also use one of the etsy vendors for the setting, as they are not that expensive.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
what size / shape do you need? green stones are my fav
30.gif

basil

Brilliant_Rock
I''m not sure what size and shape? I guess bigger is better, but I want it to be an everyday piece, so not too huge. I like cushions and ovals, but the original one was pear shaped, so that would work too.

What''s the difference between the colors of tsavorite and tourmaline? I love the color of Pandora''s and Pokey''s tsavorite, so I think ideally I would want something in that shade. But I''d be willing to compromise if that won''t be in my budget.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want it large, I''d go with a green tourmaline because once you pass the 1 ct mark, tsavorite prices go up exponentially.

Here is a chrome green of 2.16 ct measuring 8.2 mm for $480.

Gene216chrome.png

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
An interesting chrome from Gene showing a blue undertone, very much like a tsavorite. It is smaller though at 1.02 ct measuring 6.4 x 5.2 mm and priced at $350.

pl_258_detail_1.png

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Well, if you managed to beat up a relatively hard pendant stone in 3 years, I think it''s best to go with green sapphires - or kryptonite
2.gif
Unless of course, you don''t mind changing them every now and then, in which case I recommend chrome diopside
9.gif

Jokes aside, if you become interested in lighter shades check out green sapphires and vanadium chrysoberyls (like THIS ONE). They''re both very durable, quite affordable and can be real sparklers!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/26/2009 8:40:43 PM
Author: basil
I''m not sure what size and shape? I guess bigger is better, but I want it to be an everyday piece, so not too huge. I like cushions and ovals, but the original one was pear shaped, so that would work too.

What''s the difference between the colors of tsavorite and tourmaline? I love the color of Pandora''s and Pokey''s tsavorite, so I think ideally I would want something in that shade. But I''d be willing to compromise if that won''t be in my budget.
I''d probably look at chrome diopside if you are careful with your jewellery - it''s not that expensive and the colour is pretty vivid. Chrome tourmaline is another possibility but really good greens can be pricey.

I know Pokey''s tsav was around the $5k mark and mine was in the thousands as well (and is only 5.75 x 7.25 so not that big) - medium dark with blue undertones comes with a premium price-tag (as Harriet will confirm
28.gif
), but the lighter shades can cost considerably less.

Wink has done quite a few pieces for me - my sphene set were put into settings that I chose from the Stuller catalogue as I wanted the stones to be the stars not the setting. They were 18k yg and very reasonable.

Rick at Art Cut Gems has gorgeous stones (and not just what is on his website) and can also do settings - well worth sending him an email.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results