shape
carat
color
clarity

Green Sapphire Opinion please! (E Ring)

JudyFrench

Rough_Rock
Hi! I am brand new here but have been looking at sapphires loosely for a few months now. I did not want a diamond center stone for my engagement ring and decided on sapphire and absolutely love green. I started on the natural sapphire company’s website and found one there but then I found this stone on Caleb Quashen’s IG last night and it makes my heart sing! To my untrained eye, it looks absolutely stunning and I’m wondering if there is anything I’m missing or if this is as amazing as I think it is. It’s the center stone in the photo. It’s half the price of the one I was looking at from the Natural Sapphire Company and just from some googling and searching on here, Caleb seems legit. He did send me a video, but I can’t seem to upload it here.

Attachments

• E3E83902-7757-47C0-B6C0-ABE8484E9A0B.jpeg
    E3E83902-7757-47C0-B6C0-ABE8484E9A0B.jpeg
    208.5 KB · Views: 77
  • 471C751B-79A8-4BB8-985F-88D6631B9115.jpeg
    471C751B-79A8-4BB8-985F-88D6631B9115.jpeg
    171.5 KB · Views: 77

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just one picture? Hope someone comes around to help you upload the video.
Is it heated or treated?
Ct and dimensions?

gingercurls

Shiny_Rock
The color looks very nice in those photos. It might be a good idea for you to ask for photos or a video of the stone in indoor lighting to see if it becomes unattractive.

JudyFrench

Rough_Rock
Here is the description: 4.02 ct precision squared cushion peacock. Unheated VVS+ Madacascar 9.12x8.69x5.98mm

emmy12

Brilliant_Rock
Upload to Vimeo is the easiest

JudyFrench

Rough_Rock
Just one picture? Hope someone comes around to help you upload the video.
Is it heated or treated?
Ct and dimensions?

Here is the description: 4.02 ct precision squared cushion peacock. Unheated VVS+ Madacascar 9.12x8.69x5.98mm

I did ask for an indoor video that he should be sending later today.

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
I think it's gorgeous and would be an amazing e-ring! I have long admired his IG, though haven't yet purchased.

P.S. I have a blueish green color shifting sapphire I sometimes wear instead of my diamond. I call her the Dutchess and feel like all the English royalty rocking their sapphire e-rings :lol:

JudyFrench

Rough_Rock
I think it's gorgeous and would be an amazing e-ring! I have long admired his IG, though haven't yet purchased.

P.S. I have a blueish green color shifting sapphire I sometimes wear instead of my diamond. I call her the Dutchess and feel like all the English royalty rocking their sapphire e-rings :lol:

Thank you! We have both been married before, and I did not want a diamond again, so this is perfect! My internet browsing has me pegged and he came up suggested in my IG feed and I can't stop looking at this stone.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's well-cut of course, and a lovely shape -- based on the pics and video, IMO it is on the dark side in terms of color and could well look quite a bit darker once mounted -- I'd recommend an open prong setting to let in as much light as possible -- if you were to instead put it in a closed bezel mount, it would read a very dark green -- of course if that's what you're going for, that's a-ok :)

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
The challenge with Caleb is that his items aren’t returnable (I thought, worth checking)

If it’s refundable if you don’t like it, worth seeing.

But I have a feeling it will not be as vivid in person, will be muddier / darker and it definitely won’t be as vivid in non-optimal lighting conditions.

Have you seen many sapphires IRL? They favor certain lighting, so just temper your expectations!

Last edited:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also get more of a specific description of what “indoor lighting” means, when you get that pic/video.

if your indoor lighting isn’t the same - that matters.

if the stone is returnable, even with a re-stocking fee-
it still may be money well spent. It’s a learning process to see with our own eyes.

JudyFrench

Rough_Rock
It's well-cut of course, and a lovely shape -- based on the pics and video, IMO it is on the dark side in terms of color and could well look quite a bit darker once mounted -- I'd recommend an open prong setting to let in as much light as possible -- if you were to instead put it in a closed bezel mount, it would read a very dark green -- of course if that's what you're going for, that's a-ok :)

I prefer an open prong setting, so thats good there! I am waiting on a video with indoor lighting to see how dark it may get.
The challenge with Caleb is that his items aren’t returnable (I thought, worth checking)

If it’s refundable if you don’t like it, worth seeing.

But I have a feeling it will not be as vivid in person, will be muddier / darker and it definitely won’t be as vivid in non-optimal lighting conditions.

Have you seen many sapphires IRL? They favor certain lighting, so just temper your expectations!

I did ask him about that. There is a $150 restocking fee. Which is not ideal, but at least I wouldn't be out the full amount if it does not live up to my expectations. And unfortunately, no I have not seen a lot of sapphires IRL. I've been looking online. I am not going for sparkle like a diamond, but I do want something that has a beautiful color.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I think getting an indoor video will be informative.

Otherwise if you’re smitten, a restocking fee is worth it IMO for you to see it

Sapphires are tricky, especially green to be honest. Also the “color zoning” will not be prominent if that’s a feature of this stone you like - the different zones of color will bleed into one another which is why prominent color zoning (parti sapphires) can be quite muddy looking (especially ones like the stone on the far left in his post with 3 stones)

This stone has zones of yellower green and teal green. If you can see what I mean.

JudyFrench

Rough_Rock
I think getting an indoor video will be informative.

Otherwise if you’re smitten, a restocking fee is worth it IMO for you to see it

Sapphires are tricky, especially green to be honest. Also the “color zoning” will not be prominent if that’s a feature of this stone you like - the different zones of color will bleed into one another which is why prominent color zoning (parti sapphires) can be quite muddy looking (especially ones like the stone on the far left in his post with 3 stones)

This stone has zones of yellower green and teal green. If you can see what I mean.

I agree, unless I hate the indoor video, I think I would pay the restock fee to see it in person. And I have been loving the green. I wasn't particularly looking for a color zoned one, just a rich green and this one stood out to me.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Which lab memo states it is unheated?

JudyFrench

Rough_Rock
Which lab memo states it is unheated?

He just stated in the description that it was untreated. This is my only hesitation, that he does not have any sort of lab report. When I asked, and I saw on another thread someone else getting the same response, he stated that they rarely certify their stones as they work direct from mine to market and do not add the cost of certification because they know exactly where it came from and it can take a few weeks. He did offer to send direct to lab at my cost.

From what I've read, heat treatments are widely accepted for sapphires? The one I liked from the NSC was heat treated.

Sibsgirl

Shiny_Rock
His IG post does specify unheated. I happen to love green sapphire and think this one is promising. However, Cerulean is right that they're tricky. You should see it in different lighting conditions (indoor, outdoor, fluorescent, etc.) because the dichroism of the stone will make different colors stand out. Greens can run gray sometimes. Get it home and see!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you! We have both been married before, and I did not want a diamond again, so this is perfect! My internet browsing has me pegged and he came up suggested in my IG feed and I can't stop looking at this stone.

i love this idea
i love green
i have a green saphire im not overly happy with
but yours will be gorgeous

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
What makes you not happy with yours?

the window and i think it has an inclusion
sigh
im not keen to loupe too closely
i brought it from the mall jewler when i didn't know better
i just wanted a green saphires
i will replace the stone when finances improve

JudyFrench

Rough_Rock
I personally like Caleb's stone more, as I see more yellow zoning in the NSC video. But that's just my personal color preference.

Yes I agree I love the color of Caleb’s stone. So if I like this one in all the photos/videos in different light, then Caleb’s will be that much better.

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
From what I've read, heat treatments are widely accepted for sapphires?

Yes. Well, heat only. Sometimes they add extra "additives" which are much less desirable. But just heat is very common. After all, these gemstones are formed under high pressure and heat, so what's adding a little bit of extra heat to the recipe to help the colour pop? The idea is that demand for precious stones is high, but not nearly enough of them come out of the ground looking pretty enough to satisfy that demand. Which is why few are left untreated and with that comes a price premium.

Judging by the pictures and video you have now, I really like the sapphire you're eyeing, it's very pretty. And you're on the right track looking for something that you'll love, love, love, given it's meant to be an engagement ring and worn all the time. Which is why I agree with the people before me that getting to see it in different lights is crucial.

The thing with sapphires is most of them are pretentious little brats. I didn't know that when I bought mine, and I didn't know about PS either, so there was no one to warn me. You're already ahead of me there. :D They like certain light conditions in which they display their best colour, and then get all sorts of moody depending on the light. When they have a darker tone, like the one you're considering, they tend to go quite dark in low light. I'm telling you, the first few weeks of wearing a sapphire felt like a mini-adventure - what will it look like when I enter this store? How is it possible that it looks so good under open parking lights but so shitty in my bedroom? That sort of stuff.

So keep that in mind - it won't be the exact same stone all day, every day, wherever you are. It will show character. And the more of this character you're able to see before the purchase, the better for shaping your expectations to be realistic. Just make sure you love it most of the time and are able to accept it during the rest. If at any point you go "eeew, ugly!" it's probably not the one.

JudyFrench

Rough_Rock
Yes. Well, heat only. Sometimes they add extra "additives" which are much less desirable. But just heat is very common. After all, these gemstones are formed under high pressure and heat, so what's adding a little bit of extra heat to the recipe to help the colour pop? The idea is that demand for precious stones is high, but not nearly enough of them come out of the ground looking pretty enough to satisfy that demand. Which is why few are left untreated and with that comes a price premium.

Judging by the pictures and video you have now, I really like the sapphire you're eyeing, it's very pretty. And you're on the right track looking for something that you'll love, love, love, given it's meant to be an engagement ring and worn all the time. Which is why I agree with the people before me that getting to see it in different lights is crucial.

The thing with sapphires is most of them are pretentious little brats. I didn't know that when I bought mine, and I didn't know about PS either, so there was no one to warn me. You're already ahead of me there. :D They like certain light conditions in which they display their best colour, and then get all sorts of moody depending on the light. When they have a darker tone, like the one you're considering, they tend to go quite dark in low light. I'm telling you, the first few weeks of wearing a sapphire felt like a mini-adventure - what will it look like when I enter this store? How is it possible that it looks so good under open parking lights but so shitty in my bedroom? That sort of stuff.

So keep that in mind - it won't be the exact same stone all day, every day, wherever you are. It will show character. And the more of this character you're able to see before the purchase, the better for shaping your expectations to be realistic. Just make sure you love it most of the time and are able to accept it during the rest. If at any point you go "eeew, ugly!" it's probably not the one.

Thank you so much for your insight and comments! I really appreciate the advice. I went ahead and ordered it. I’ve loved all the pictures and videos so the restock fee is worth it to see in person. Otherwise I’d always be thinking about it and don’t want to regret not getting it.

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
Fingers crossed it's every bit as lovely in person! Just... make sure to show us, okay? Folks here are very much into looking at pretty pictures of pretty gemstones and the curiosity eats you alive if you never learn what happened with the purchase. :mrgreen:

JudyFrench

Rough_Rock
Fingers crossed it's every bit as lovely in person! Just... make sure to show us, okay? Folks here are very much into looking at pretty pictures of pretty gemstones and the curiosity eats you alive if you never learn what happened with the purchase. :mrgreen:

I will definitely post pictures when it comes!

JudyFrench

Rough_Rock
Update! I was out of town and finally came home to see it in person. I LOVE IT!!!!!! I am going to be sooooo impatient until we are able to get it set and he actually proposes so I can wear it. I have looked at it in the sunlight and in my dim light at night and it makes my heart sing even more in person.

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
Excellent news! It's definitely different in dim indoor light, but all that matters is that you adore it all the same.

How are you going to set it?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results