shape
carat
color
clarity

Green jadeite: imperial, yang, apple?

Sydneyphoenix

Shiny_Rock
I reckon in the first picture, second and third stones in second row and all in third row might qualify as imperial?

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want to know what apple is!!! And the cheery lighter shade that I love!!!

I guess at the end of the day you just buy what you like, although I tend to fall into the trap of buying the same shade over and over again!

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just on colour, this one aligns with my understanding and perception the most :)

Screenshot_20210410-015721_Chrome.jpg

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There are also more like 菠菜绿,银光绿,辣绿, 果绿,甜绿,晴绿, 油青,啤酒瓶绿 etc.

No end to them names!

Sydneyphoenix

Shiny_Rock
So any vendors that sell verifiable imperial jade cabochons with international shipping? Found only one vendor that seems legit in Sydney and their prices are somewhat on the high side...

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Ya so my idea of imperial jadeite is the one on top based on pics from GIA and Sotheby’s but the chart says it’s the one at the bottom.

5365EB20-0859-40EA-BF26-2A92D563F7E5.jpeg

@Burmesedaze indeed no end to the names. But then surely there must be some sort of rough color chart as to what is what right? So hard to buy when every other stone is described as 满绿 or 阳绿

@mellowyellowgirl yeah I guess so. I like 艳绿

Sydneyphoenix

Shiny_Rock
Where would this one fit, one of the best I can find online in Australia...

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Where would this one fit, one of the best I can find online in Australia...

Doesn’t look evenly colored enough to be imperial green imo. Happy to hear what others think

Sydneyphoenix

Shiny_Rock
Doesn’t look evenly colored enough to be imperial green imo. Happy to hear what others think

It’s actually mine, lol. A bit too dark, more a spinach green according to an Asian-born jeweller in Sydney but pleasant translucency. Hopefully was an okay deal for A$3000 (U$2300).

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s actually mine, lol. A bit too dark, more a spinach green according to an Asian-born jeweller in Sydney but pleasant translucency. Hopefully was an okay deal for A$3000 (U$2300).

Oooh has it arrived yet??? Please show us pics!!!

I think with Jade we can only do our best given the constraints of budget, location, availability and risk appetite.

It's very hard to tell you what a good/fair deal is because often it depends on the degree of risk you are willing to take. As long as you're not paying thousands for utility Jade quality or grey I'd say you're doing ok. I tend to only jump in when people are considering utility Jade for high prices.

Enjoy it!!!

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ya so my idea of imperial jadeite is the one on top based on pics from GIA and Sotheby’s but the chart says it’s the one at the bottom.

5365EB20-0859-40EA-BF26-2A92D563F7E5.jpeg

@Burmesedaze indeed no end to the names. But then surely there must be some sort of rough color chart as to what is what right? So hard to buy when every other stone is described as 满绿 or 阳绿

@mellowyellowgirl yeah I guess so. I like 艳绿

Top one for colour closest to 帝王 for me.

But does not have glassy base and dome insufficient. That's why the true specimens to be called that are rare. Could get close enough colour, not too difficult. But not the body, proportions and 种.

Sydneyphoenix

Shiny_Rock
C5542466-D38B-4A17-8C14-8B6D0FF60965.jpeg 771139DE-61F2-4414-BD92-A9D371DA55F8.jpeg 80BB5A15-A66B-46F1-BCED-0A02D505A4E9.jpeg 30CE47E6-8AAF-4BAD-8CB2-46408A562C06.jpeg B33693DB-0B7A-426F-903E-E38D6568E77A.jpeg 5AD71CEE-3200-4FF2-88C4-FB35E4D6679E.jpeg F72F6897-2E1B-4D18-8FF4-A6B65FC84585.jpeg 54547B83-5CC2-4CE1-9208-3612D5CB3171.jpeg 988F0749-6E1D-4661-ABC9-54CCD67C25EA.jpeg
Oooh has it arrived yet??? Please show us pics!!!

I think with Jade we can only do our best given the constraints of budget, location, availability and risk appetite.

It's very hard to tell you what a good/fair deal is because often it depends on the degree of risk you are willing to take. As long as you're not paying thousands for utility Jade quality or grey I'd say you're doing ok. I tend to only jump in when people are considering utility Jade for high prices.

Enjoy it!!!

I actually had it for a month, probably not treating it with as much respect as it deserves as soon as I accepted it’s not an imperial jade that will go into our heirloom ring, playing and dropping and all. I just took some photos, a bit shadowy as it’s evening here, might take more photos in daylight. I wonder if you can see darkish internal veins at all.

But does not have glassy base and dome insufficient. That's why the true specimens to be called that are rare. Could get close enough colour, not too difficult. But not the body, proportions and 种.

My personal favourite is the third one on the third row, the one termed “grandmother”. “Emperor” one just on its left has great colour but not as much glow, the one above has too much glow, almost glassy. But I think most on second and third row would qualify as “imperial jade” in market; if so, would love to source one for our family heirloom, while the jade I bought, I might turn into something like this from the LOTR. What do you think?

Last edited:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock

It’s not horrible imo. Any kind of green cab price is expensive. I’ve a pale green cab that’s pricey too. That said, if you don’t love it then is it better to return the stone? (If still within return period)

Also I think the cab will look better in natural light/stronger lighting? The pics you posted look dark. Depending on whether a backing will help improve the look of the cab, you can also consider that when you set the cab.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock

Imperial green as defined by Sotheby’s

“Imperial Green” refers to jadeite that is richly saturated with a deep medium tone, slightly more yellow than a fine emerald green without any off-tones such as brown or gray, and no inclusions. The best examples should be highly saturated, slightly unctuous and penetrating, showing intensely even when viewed from a distance. The tone is neither too light nor too dark, and the color is evenly distributed without showing veins, clouding, mottling or blotches.
2CD0F89B-2477-4DD9-B573-C57C04FA475D.jpeg
BAF263E6-4FB7-47A2-9CC3-E0A7F3B52FF8.jpeg C10CF936-4F5E-421E-A268-5080583864A6.jpeg

Sydneyphoenix

Shiny_Rock
It’s not horrible imo. Any kind of green cab price is expensive. I’ve a pale green cab that’s pricey too. That said, if you don’t love it then is it better to return the stone? (If still within return period)

Also I think the cab will look better in natural light/stronger lighting? The pics you posted look dark. Depending on whether a backing will help improve the look of the cab, you can also consider that when you set the cab.

I think I love it enough to set into “Elessar” pendant. Plan was always to get two jade cabochons, at least one being “imperial” that most experts will agree. It certainly looks much better with eyes than photo, or maybe my photography skills suck. Think of it as decently translucent but just too dark for imperial, the vendor’s photos are reasonably accurate.

For green jadeite as solitaire setting, yellow gold is more popular than white metal, right?

Last edited:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
verifiable imperial jade cabochons

There is no industry definition of what is imperial jadeite?

Gübelin Gem Lab and Swiss Gemmological Institute SSEF, appear to be moving in the direction to establish the Imperial Green standard as international interest in fine jadeite continues to grow. However, it remains early in the process as the labs develop their grading systems with jadeite. Currently, official grading guidelines have yet to be published. Such things take time, and the process requires that the labs have enough samples for comparison.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think is personal preference. My jadeite are all in WG as I don’t wear YG...

67892655-0103-4C78-98ED-6F0BD8816B32.jpeg
7E4870D5-6A08-4233-943D-A3052E9C80D6.jpeg
74E0E1E0-A42F-4840-B2BB-6FEB5742E834.jpeg

Jades do not agree with me, and like you, I do not wear yellow gold.

I would prefer jades with colours on the cooler side as they would look better in WG IMHO.

I have toyed about getting a jade ring, however, the ones I like cost a small fortune, and I would rather spend that kind of money on CSs.

DK :))

Sydneyphoenix

Shiny_Rock
I think is personal preference. My jadeite are all in WG as I don’t wear YG...

Thinking of making the pendant in platinum, LOTR describes it as “silver”.

There is no industry definition of what is imperial jadeite?

Gübelin Gem Lab and Swiss Gemmological Institute SSEF, appear to be moving in the direction to establish the Imperial Green standard as international interest in fine jadeite continues to grow. However, it remains early in the process as the labs develop their grading systems with jadeite. Currently, official grading guidelines have yet to be published. Such things take time, and the process requires that the labs have enough samples for comparison.

AIGS in Thailand have been grading qualifying jades as “imperial”, for what it’s worth. Of course, only worth it if the stone is good and there are decent return policies.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Jades do not agree with me, and like you, I do not wear yellow gold.

I would prefer jades with colours on the cooler side as they would look better in WG IMHO.

I have toyed about getting a jade ring, however, the ones I like cost a small fortune, and I would rather spend that kind of money on CSs.

Actually I went back to look at Sotheby’s and many are in WG. So definitely no need to be in YG. I think just go with whatever you will wear.

Jade is also a CS! =)2

Top quality jadeite is mesmerizing... I remember trying on imperial jadeite at one of the fairs but was too distracted to take any pics except for this pair of earrings

63E1D6BE-8414-4066-B2D8-A0614D45478E.jpeg

Thinking of making the pendant in platinum, LOTR describes it as “silver”.

AIGS in Thailand have been grading qualifying jades as “imperial”, for what it’s worth. Of course, only worth it if the stone is good and there are decent return policies.

Personally, I wouldn’t trust AIGS for color definitions. It’s like how there are too many royal blues, cornflowers, pigeon bloods... I bet there are many imperial jadeite too

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@icy_jade yes, jades are also CSs.

My association with jades have not been favourite.

Being Chinese, I wore jades from a young age, and they turned less vivid through age instead of the other way round as seen in other members of my family.

Then I managed to lose the centre imperial jade of a cluster ring on loan to me from my mum back in 1994 during a drunken work event. It was claw-set and one of the 4 claws caught something and the jade fell out. Searched everything, including emptying the vacuum cleaner that was used to clean the venue after the event with no luck.

I have not worn jade ever since, except to carry a small roundel pendant that I wore when I was young as part of a key ring as a memento.

Sydneyphoenix

Shiny_Rock
Actually I went back to look at Sotheby’s and many are in WG. So definitely no need to be in YG. I think just go with whatever you will wear.

Jade is also a CS! =)2

Top quality jadeite is mesmerizing... I remember trying on imperial jadeite at one of the fairs but was too distracted to take any pics except for this pair of earrings

63E1D6BE-8414-4066-B2D8-A0614D45478E.jpeg

Personally, I wouldn’t trust AIGS for color definitions. It’s like how there are too many royal blues, cornflowers, pigeon bloods... I bet there are many imperial jadeite too

I was thinking of saying that jade is CS, you beat me to it!

I don’t have illusions about AIGS colour grading being definite, just hoping for some sort of expert opinions to put minds at ease a bit about a substantial international transaction, in default of other labs offering similar service. Shame AIGS doesn’t seem to have released notes on colour grading guidelines like Lotus and GRS have for corundum. If Nanyang in Singapore or HK lab was to offer colour grade I will be happier, but I imagine AIGS have more of jade experience and database than European labs like Gubelin or SSEF. Hopefully I’m not completely deluded!

Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I may add one to my CS wish list, after ticking off a Paraiba Tourmaline cab first.

DK ;)2

Sydneyphoenix

Shiny_Rock
@icy_jade yes, jades are also CSs.

My association with jades have not been favourite.

Being Chinese, I wore jades from a young age, and they turned less vivid through age instead of the other way round as seen in other members of my family.

Then I managed to lose the centre imperial jade of a cluster ring on loan to me from my mum back in 1994 during a drunken work event. It was claw-set and one of the 4 claws caught something and the jade fell out. Searched everything, including emptying the vacuum cleaner that was used to clean the venue after the event with no luck.

I have not worn jade ever since, except to carry a small roundel pendant that I wore when I was young as part of a key ring as a memento.

That’s very unfortunate, and strange how the colour seems to change over time, differently for different people.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock

I’m wondering if the jade was treated/dyed, hence color fading with time?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results