shape
carat
color
clarity

Green Amethyst "Push" Gift

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
I have known my friend since 4th grade, so I want to do something nice for her to celebrate the birth of her son in February (I will be purchasing gifts for her baby shower too). However, I am wondering whether if it is even appropriate for me to get her a push gift? Do you think that something that should be left to her husband?

At lunch a few weeks ago, we were talking about birthstones and she asked me whether there was such a thing as green amethyst, as she prefers the color green to purple. She is a natural red head and wears green quite often, so I can understand why she would prefer green to purple. So, I was thinking of having a green amethyst pendant made for her.

Then there is of course the challenge of finding a nice stone. Has anyone seen nice quality green amethyst? Of course, I can always e-mail a few PS vendors as well. I am aware there are very nice green gem stones available outside of amethyst, but I think my friend likes the idea of wearing her son's birthstone for sentimental value.

If anyone has any suggestions, words of gem wisdom, or opinions...please share!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
So called "Green amethyst" when it's natural is really Prasiolite, which is pretty rare and expensive as far as I know. But buyer beware as most of what is on the market is actually just heat treated white quartz, it isn't really amethyst. So realistically although it's nicknamed green amethyst, it isn't really amethyst at all...

Just so you know.
1.gif

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for letting me know neatfreak. However, I do not think she even knows that green amethyst is really just heated white quartz, so I am wondering if that would even matter to her. This project would have been so much easier if she preferred purple!

Would it be terrible of me to find a nice green gem and just tell her that it is a green amethyst?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/7/2008 1:37:34 PM
Author: omieluv
Thanks for letting me know neatfreak. However, I do not think she even knows that green amethyst is really just heated white quartz, so I am wondering if that would even matter to her. This project would have been so much easier if she preferred purple!

Would it be terrible of me to find a nice green gem and just tell her that it is a green amethyst?

Lie to her? Yes I think that''s a bad idea. I don''t think it''s necessarily a bad idea to play dumb though and get her what''s called "green amethyst" if that''s what she likes...

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/7/2008 1:49:22 PM
Author: neatfrea

Lie to her? Yes I think that's a bad idea. I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea to play dumb though and get her what's called 'green amethyst' if that's what she likes...
I understand. Just getting frusterated, as I want her to have a nice piece when it is all said and done. I will hunt around for "green amethyst" and Prasiolite to see what I can find.

If anyone comes across nice examples of these gems during your online travels, please let me know! I have no trouble ordering online from a reputable PS vendor, as I can have the set at my local jeweler if need be.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Have you given the choice of metal some thought? Of course, it''s all a matter of taste, and hopefully you know her taste well enough to figure things out. White metal would make the whole thing look quite cool and elegant, but since it''s got a sentimental meaning maybe warmer colors would be more apropriate. Yellow if you think she''d like a pendant that looks a bit "fruity" (lime or kiwi come to mind easily) and she could certainly wear rose gold. But we stated in another thread some time ago that green-rose combo might be tricky to wear and combine with wardrobe. Are you thinking of getting a custom setting, or buying one already made? If you can afford it, going for custom would be great since it would give you a chance to design something unique, maybe with a "hidden message" she might understand. Hope this gives you something to start with
2.gif

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/7/2008 1:33:40 PM
Author: neatfreak
So realistically although it''s nicknamed green amethyst, it isn''t really amethyst at all...

Actually, Amethyst *is* quartz. Richard Martin explains about ''green amethyst'' Art Cut Gems has a pretty trillion prasiolite for sale.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
ma re, I have given thought to the metal. Her wedding set is white gold, so going the WG route would be fine. However, I do think rose gold would look lovely on her, as she is quite fair and has red hair. I have seen her wear yellow gold, but not very often. Budget is of course tight for me, but I do know she does like antique/vintage looks. My plan is to let the stone itself decide how it will be set.

I do love the idea of including a hidden message, which would be a wonderful personal touch!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/7/2008 2:03:01 PM
Author: Kismet
Date: 11/7/2008 1:33:40 PM

Author: neatfreak

So realistically although it''s nicknamed green amethyst, it isn''t really amethyst at all...

Actually, Amethyst *is* quartz. Richard Martin explains about ''green amethyst'' Art Cut Gems has a pretty trillion prasiolite for sale.

All amethyst is quartz but all quartz is not amethyst. So there is a distinction IMO.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/7/2008 2:03:26 PM
Author: omieluv
My plan is to let the stone itself decide how it will be set.
That''s always a good plan, since shape and size should be taken into account when thinking about a setting (but more on that when you get the stone).

One thing though, pay attention to the cut. With these kinds of stones (rather pastel in color), cut becomes much more important than it would be with, say, fine rubies. Now I''m not saying cut has to be perfect, but stone should be as scintillating as possible, with a lot of life as light "dances" inside. Of course, it can never be as lively as a diamond, but it still shouldn''t be dull and boring. Hope you know how to judge cut from photos (if you don''t, let us know
9.gif
).

geckodani

Ideal_Rock

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Amethyst, Citrine, and Prasiolite are all varieties of the species Quartz. Citrine and Prasiolite are often heat treated amethyst--which is ubiquitous.

I don't think the nomenclature of green quartz is really a big deal. It's all quartz--most of it is treated and much of it is synthetic.

That Artcutgems stone is really pretty.

Omieluv--it's really sweet of you to get her a push gift. If she asks, you can just call it green quartz or prasiolite--if she wants to know more than that, you can tell her that it's heat treated amethyst.
1.gif

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Ma re, I understand what you are saying. Cut does not need to be precise, but it does need to have a nice color + character.

Kismet, Thank you for hunting that stone down, however, I am not able to access the art cut gems site. It is rather odd because I have tried in the past, but my computer does not load the site.

Coati, Maybe I will find the right "green amethyst" for her in the coming weeks.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Hoping to be of service here: "Prasiolite (green quartz) rarely occurs naturally but nearly all that’s now on the market began as amethyst. It has been “greened” in a treatment process, resulting in an unusual and interesting quartz color. This stone measures approx. 12 x 12 mm. It’s very clean and features a checkerboard crown." Price is $58.

Prasio201.jpg

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Thanks fly girl for posting the picture from the site. It is a very nice stone, great catch Kismet. I am just not sure if she is a trillion cut girl, will need to think about it and of course try to find a computer that will let me log onto the art cut gems site.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
All of the quartz family of stones are pretty inexpensive. What does give them more value is the cut. I have seen some of the beautiful fantasy type cuts in citrine etc selling for $100''s of dollars per ct. where typical oval cuts will sell for $10-$20 per ct or less. Many people specialize in larger inexpensive stones, but very creative unique cutting, to produce gems that sell for prices comparable to typically more expensive materials. Actually from a cutters standpoint this makes a lot of sense. Buy a large piece of quartz for $50, and cut a $1000 stone from it. Or buy a $850 piece of tsavorite garnet and cut a $1000 stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results