shape
carat
color
clarity

Great Grandmothers Ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jude0927

Rough_Rock
Newbie to the form with a question. I got engaged last week and my dear husband-to-be was given my great grandmother''s engagement ring by mother to pass down. As a child I always loved these rings and since my grandmother''s passing haven''t seen them in 16 years. The ring was originally given to my great-grandmother by her aunt.

They were given to my fiance by my mother along with the jeweler appraisal papers. The question I have is, looking at the appraisal that my grandma was given in 1980 by a reputable jeweler in the area, it seems very odd.

The appraisal states: 1 ladies 14k yellow gold engagemant ring consisting of 1 round brillant diamon weight approx. .90 t. of VVS2 quality, M Color and good proportions and is valued at $6,250.00 in 1980. The ring itself is set upon a small filigree band. The diamond looks beautiful and as I''ve cleaned it this past week the diamond appears to be getting whiter. The questions I have are:

-Given the age of ring, probably somewhere in the 1900''s why would someone buy a M color diamond with a VVS2 clarity?
-In certain (especially in the office light) it appears quite yellow, is this normal?
-With the age of the ring, why would they classify the diamond as a round brillant and not an older cut?
-Does the appraisal seem a bit high?
- Is the diamond really casting yellow or is it extremely dirty?

I have not yet had the opportunity to take it to another jeweler to be reappraised or assesed.

Any insight would be truly appreciated. Thank you!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
An M color older stone is extremely common, so yes, it is probably an M. An M will be yellow/creamy, so that's normal too. But certain lights (like office lights) can make it look more yellow than it really is.

Round brilliants come in many variants and I believe started to be cut in the late 1800's, so it is very possible it's an RB. Just a slightly different variety than what we see today.

And last, appraisals are often very overinflated. Sounds like this one sure is, so I would take it in to be reappraised and make sure you tell them it's for insuring the ring so that you won't pay extra premiums.

We'd love to see pictures if you have them! And congrats!

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can not answer all of your questions, but M in color is more likley to show the yellow color than a higher grade stone. Perhaps when the stone was bought, the yellow wasn''t noticed because she wasn''t color sensitive (or the guy didn''t notice) or perhaps they like it and it appealed to their eye. As for the VV clarity, depending on the amount they knew about dimaonds, I''m sure they thought this was wonderful. Many new comers to this site insist upon VV quality until they realize that you can get eye clean SI''s or VS and still not see the inclusions.

I wish I had a piece of history like that! Some of the experts can chime in, but it sure sounds beautiful!

POST PICS! It''s a sin in this forum to not have pics!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that Neatfreak pretty much covered it...congratulations on your engagement! Can we see some pictures???

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/5/2008 9:54:59 PM
Author:Jude0927
Newbie to the form with a question. I got engaged last week and my dear husband-to-be was given my great grandmother''s engagement ring by mother to pass down. As a child I always loved these rings and since my grandmother''s passing haven''t seen them in 16 years. The ring was originally given to my great-grandmother by her aunt.

They were given to my fiance by my mother along with the jeweler appraisal papers. The question I have is, looking at the appraisal that my grandma was given in 1980 by a reputable jeweler in the area, it seems very odd.

The appraisal states: 1 ladies 14k yellow gold engagemant ring consisting of 1 round brillant diamon weight approx. .90 t. of VVS2 quality, M Color and good proportions and is valued at $6,250.00 in 1980. The ring itself is set upon a small filigree band. The diamond looks beautiful and as I''ve cleaned it this past week the diamond appears to be getting whiter. The questions I have are:

-Given the age of ring, probably somewhere in the 1900''s why would someone buy a M color diamond with a VVS2 clarity?

Perhaps they bought what was "available". Doesn''t strike me as very unusual. Remember the appraisal was done with the stone set--that can affect the accuracy of the grading. (loose more accurate with machines,, matching to master stones....)
-In certain (especially in the office light) it appears quite yellow, is this normal?

Yes, quite "normal". If D is the "whitest" or rather "colorless" on the rating scale, then an M is 8 shades apart from this.

-With the age of the ring, why would they classify the diamond as a round brillant and not an older cut?

NF I believe mentioned somethiing about this.
-Does the appraisal seem a bit high?

I would have it reappraised. You''ll want a today''s gold/stone value for insurance purposes. No point paying higher premiums if unnecessary.

Is the diamond really casting yellow or is it extremely dirty?

Have the prong/claws checked and perhaps cleaned and polished. Then you can see! Oh and post pictures!!!

I have not yet had the opportunity to take it to another jeweler to be reappraised or assesed.

Any insight would be truly appreciated. Thank you!
cheers--Sharon

flowerladytoo

Shiny_Rock
Oh your ring sounds lovely! I hope you can post some pictures of it. Congratulations on your engagement.
1.gif

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Get it reappraised, you'll need much more up to date info to insure it. Yeah, there were a lot of lower color stones sold in Victorian/Edwardian times, of all clarities. It is a bit of a rarity that a high clarity stone survived a hundred years without downgrading clarity as a ring stone. Most have chipping and bearding that lower the clarity. I have an M colored OEC that was originally an IF, but is now a VS2 due to a tiny chip on the girdle; the Liz Taylor effect. I asked the appraiser (who had a lot of experience with antique stones) if I should get the chip removed, and she said the value was more determined by the color, and that the difference in values between an IF and a VS2 M color were not worth the risk of recutting it.

The cut could be a round brilliant, but if it really is c.1900, it's more likely an OEC and the appraiser in the 1980s just didn't identify it the we would now... there are the same number of facets (58) in generally the same arrangement in an OEC vs. a round brilliant, so it might be that thirty years ago, it not every appraiser differentiated the cuts. Again, you need an appraiser to help you identify it properly. Or perhaps the provenance isn't quite accurate- a lot of times families are *sure* about a date/origin that is just not possible... people get confused or relatives tell information innaccurately over the years. I see that a *lot* at work, people come in with "grandma's cut glass" that they're certain is American Brilliant Cut c.1890, and it's actually Bohemian from the 1970s, that indeed belonged to grandma but she bought much more recently than they think. (Of course, most of the time I'm not about to tell them that! That's an appraiser's job.) Not that it's necessarily the case with your family, but it happens very frequently, I think very elderly relatives can get kinda hazy on dates sometimes, or someone made an assumption at one point that isn't true.

It's so cool to hear people have family heirlooms like this; enjoy it
5.gif

MMT

Ideal_Rock
I would take it and have it cleaned and appraised. It sounds beautiful and the fact that it was your great grandmothers is priceless. Please post some pictures I would love to see it.
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results