shape
carat
color
clarity

Great-Grandmother''s pearls

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
I just received a wonderful gift from my grandfather - a pair of irregular baroque pearl earrings owned by his mother, my great-grandmother, who died when I was in my teens. I will be wearing them in my wedding in 13 weeks. My question is how in the world do I clean them and care for them? They are dangles, pearl stud with pearl hanging from it, sort of like these:

americanpearl_1834_29961770

With 3 yg links between the pearls. One of those gold links is very dirty/degraded (it''s black), so I''m worried about getting that clean enough without damaging the pearls in the process. I know this is difficult to advise without seeing the earrings, so I''ll try to get some pics of them soon...

Thanks for the help!!

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Anybody? Should I just bring them into a jeweler for cleaning?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I use a special jewelry cleaner that is safe for pearls, I just spray them and rinse them in warm water. If the gold is very dirty maybe take them to a jeweler and have them cleaned up. Good luck and so special to have your great grandmother's pearl earrings for your special day!! I'm sure they are beautiful!!

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the responses Kaleigh and "Anonymous"
2.gif
. I think I''ll bring them in to the jeweler for their first cleaning and also make sure they''re in good shape. They aren''t silk tied, mounted with metal, if that makes sense. They probably haven''t been worn in about 20 years, so I want to make sure they won''t fall apart on me.

Don''t have too much fun Steve!! Be good!
12.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think that''s the best bet and a safe one!!! Please post them when they get cleaned, I would love to see them. I just love pearls period!!!
3.gif

websailor

Brilliant_Rock
They do look very pretty and the fact that they have sentimental value just adds to their beauty!

Edited to add - Darn, I'm not anonymous... I get no respect around here.... (as a famous comic, Rodney Dangerfield, always said)

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Websailor,
We love your antics and anticdotes, you have my full respect and them some!!!!
2.gif
The funny thing is my brother was Rodney Dangerfields opening act, I know all his lines!! Sorry JCJD, didn''t mean to highjack your post!!!
1.gif

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
No worries about hijacking!

Just got back from the jewelers. That black link I described has probably been oxidized and will need to be replaced. Their best bench jeweler is on vacation until the 3rd so I''ll get it done after than and post some pics too.

Thanks websailor! Those aren''t my earrings, but are the same design. I think they are very pretty too! And you''re tons of fun - why try to be anonymous? I love all of your outdoors adventure stories BTW!

kaleigh - that''s so cool about your brother!! I''m starstruck!
10.gif

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the advice again everyone. Here's some pics of my great-grandmother's pearls. This first pic is a size comparison between the pearl earrings and my .38ct pear diamond ering. As you can see, the pearls are quite large. I'll see if I can get my sister to take an ear shot with her digital.

JCJDP01a.jpg

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Both earrings.

JCJDP02.jpg

icekid

Ideal_Rock
oooh what a perfect "something old" for your wedding! they''re really beautiful JCJD

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks icekid! They mean a lot to me, and I''m proud to have this little part of my great-grandmother with me on my wedding day.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Beautiful in every way!
emstar.gif

cheers--Sharon
emrose.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
JCJD,
They are so beautiful and it will mean a lot for you to wear them on your special day and have a piece of your grandmother with you. Just lovely, thanks for sharing them with us.
30.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Those earrings are perfect wedding jewelry, IMO, in so many ways.
emlove.gif
Just beautiful!
1.gif

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much for looking everyone, and especially for the nice comments! It means so much to me - Thanks!!!

5.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
jcjd,
your heirloom pearls are absolutely beautiful! how very special, to wear them on your wedding day
emrose.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results