shape
carat
color
clarity

Great grandfathers old stones...what could they be?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

KtIceRN

Brilliant_Rock

Hi all! I was a my mothers yesterday and she said that she had a couple of stones that belonged to my great grandfather who was in the jewelery business back in the late 1800''s to early 1900''s. I took the ring and stone home with me to take a few pics and see what you guys thought. I really don''t know much about either except the family was fighting about them when he died and my great uncle ended up with them and then gave them to my mother when he passed.

The ring is stamped 10K, has 6 pearls and a pink stone in the center. The crown on the pink stone seems pretty high to me. The loose stone has some chips around the table, both are round shapes. I''ll attach pics. Let me know what you think.

I plan on taking them with me to Cindy Konney of New England Gem Lab when I go on the 14th to have my RHR with the sapphire appraised, so I will see what she says then. But in the mean time I thought I would ask.

moms stones 025.JPG

KtIceRN

Brilliant_Rock
side view

moms stones 024.JPG

KtIceRN

Brilliant_Rock
ring

moms%20stones%20019%20(2).jpg

KtIceRN

Brilliant_Rock
side ring

moms%20stones%20021%20(2).jpg

KtIceRN

Brilliant_Rock
Let''s try that again

momsstone1.jpg

KtIceRN

Brilliant_Rock
Last one...thanks everyone!

momsstone2.jpg

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Cynthia is a competent gemologist. Best to wait and see what she says, as here at best all we could do is guess.

There are a lot of things the red/pinish color stone could be.

Rockdoc

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
sapphire

edit: just a guess.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, not an expert but might not want to keep your hopes high, I read somewhere that synthetics were quite acceptable in those days. But I sure hope this turns out to be a sapphire or something..

KtIceRN

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks RocDoc, Storm and simplysplendid!!

My hopes are not high, my mothers on the other hand are. She would love for them to be natural sapphire....or even diamonds(hahaha). She doen''t have an ering and won''t spend the money on a stone for one. But if one of these stones is worth it she might be able to get my father to spring for a settng. If they turn out to be synthetic or worse glass
14.gif
, I am going to try and find her a nice old antique looking ring that she can wear.

So we will see....

KT

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results