shape
carat
color
clarity

Great E-bay Deal!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I am SO excited...

My best friend was looking for an antique e-ring setting for her great grandmother''s old mine cut diamond...she thought she may have to get an old mold/repro, but on a whim I looked on E-bay and found an antique mount, no reserve...she loved the pics, but the description said it was 10K white gold, which she wasn''t too sure about...I bid on it for her anyway and WON...we got it for just over $100.00...she got it today and took it right to the jewelry store, where she found out it was actually 18K gold and worth a lot more than the $100.00 she got it for! And her Great Grandmother''s diamond is going to fit perfectly in it! It''s exactly what she wanted and I am SO excited I found it for her AND got such a great deal, I had to share!
21.gif

Here''s a link to the pic!

http://i15.ebayimg.com/07/i/001/2e/f6/19e8_35.JPG

http://i1.ebayimg.com/04/i/001/2e/f6/1b10_35.JPG

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Very nice!! I''m a huge advocate of putting vintage stones back into vintage mounts. Rehabing old jewelry is my passion, and this looks like it would be beautiful. Do you think you could get finished pictures to post?

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
That looks like a beautiful setting, & in great shape, too! So often they're very worn down, especially with engagement ring settings, which get worn day in, day out.

I hope you'll post a picture once she has her ggm's diamond in it!

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the replies ladies!
21.gif

I am almost as excited about the find as my friend is!
9.gif

I agree about setting antique diamonds in old settings...but they are hard to find! My friend's diamond was set in her grandmother's ring setting, but that set was from the 1940's, it has an illusion head, but did nothing for the diamond. With this antique setting, it should be more sparkly and will look like it is 'at home.'

She is coming over for a 'girl's night' in a couple of weeks and I'll be sure to get some pics then!

I had been looking for an antique mount as well for my diamond (mine is not an antique unfortunately!), but couldn't find anything the right size...I ended up ordering a new one and I hope mine is here and completed for our visit too....so we are both excited about our new sparklys!
36.gif
Is ther anything more fun?

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh, very nice! How exciting for your friend!

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks ''DD''
35.gif

One more thing...my friend is contemplating the idea of having the ring rhodium plated...she says it''s a pretty dark finish right now, since it''s 18K it is darker tone of gold anyway...any ideas about the rhodium plating? Is that a good idea? I was concerned it would be too bright and maybe detract from the antique look, if the older finish is covered up.

Any input is appreciated!
1.gif

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Rhodium plating the ring would be a crime, in my humble opinion. It would destroy the patina and would look like a mdoern repro, not an antigue.

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
That''s how I feel too...she''s thinking about it, but I hope she doesn''t do it!

Will 18K polish up nicely? She says it is pretty dark looking...I wondered if a subtle polishing will bring the color up without ruining the patina.

Thanks for your reply ''LD''!
35.gif

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
It may very well be tarnished. I would strongly suggest she have it well polished before deciding on rhodium plating it. She may find that it is enough.

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I just heard from her, the ring will be ready today at 5:00, that''s amazing because she just took it in Monday night!

Anyway, they said they are going to polish it and let her see it...if she likes it as is, she won''t have it ''dipped.'' I may have pics to share tonight if she sends me one! I can''t wait to see it all together myself! I''ve seen her diamond in her grandmother''s 1940''s setting and I think it will be really pretty in the antique one!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope that she sends you a picture, I would love to see the finished product!

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Well, she got the ring last night, it wasn''t done on time, LOL, but she waited in the store until 7:00 for the guy to finish!

Good news, she loved it as is..they polished it up and she is happy with how it looks, so no rhodium plating needed!

She did send me a few pics, but they are all pretty blurry...I am going to see her tomorrow evening, so I will try to get some more pics, but my camera isn''t that great for close up detail either...we''ll see what we can come up with!

21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results