shape
carat
color
clarity

Great diamond - EGL and appraisal have me worried

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Olivediamonds

Rough_Rock
Two days ago I found a beautiful diamond, the exact specs are 2 hours away from me, but I think I can still give you an idea.

Color - I
Clarity - VS1
Cut - Round (the cert said it was Tolowsky Ideal Cut)
Carat - 2.35
Depth - it was 60-61 (don't recall exactly)
Table - it was 59-60 (same excuse)
Flourescence - None
Polish - VG
Symmetry - VG
Gridle - I don't really remember I believe it was Thin-Medium

I worked him down to a price of $9700 with no tax and the platinum ring included.

It was certified by EGL and the jeweler showed me the certification. My concern is that I have been looking on the internet all morning reading differing opinions on the EGL certification methods. I want to make sure that the certification is from a reputable source. Is this dimond worth my money? What is the typical appraisal value of a diamond? Is there any common % that an appraisal will be above the cost?

Please advise.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Since you're saying it's a 'Tolkowsky ideal cut', the table has to be 58% or less and the cert is from Israel... Well, be sure to check this data and try to obtain as many numbers as possible... EGL provides depth, table, crown and pavilion...

As per the price... It's suspiciously low... Assuming the ring is $400, then the stone costs about 3950/ct... Pricescope lists many stones at 6000+++/ct... I'd make sure that the EGL Israel report is accurate (which is very unusual) and the stone isn't L VS 2 or something like that... The price is still good to very good for a J-K VS 2, so even if EGL is off by one grade, you're not loosing money... Let us know!

DiamondOptics

Shiny_Rock
If you have reserved any doubts about your diamond, than
I would highly advise having it checked out by an expert
prior to purchase. Many vendors will accomodate this request in order to secure a sale.

kirk

barry

Shiny_Rock
EGL-Israel reports have been known to
be as much as 2 Color and 2 Clarity grades
off.

If you really like this diamond, get a second opinion from a reputable "independent" appraiser.

Barry
www.superbcert.com

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
The price is way too cheap. The stone is priced more like a J/SI1, or K/VS2.

I've never once seen an EGL-Israel grading report that I've agreed with. The other labs, yes, but not Israel.

If you like the diamond, make the sale contingent upon it appraising out to your satisfaction with an independent appraiser. Then you can't lose. It's probably not what the EGL-Israel cert says, but it still might be a good stone for the money.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Giangi, are you fairly certain that the EGL-Israel lab is the only one that uses the "Tolkowski Ideal Cut" terminology on their certs?

I wouldn't bet my life on it, but I seem to remember seeing it on other EGL certs as well. No?

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Rich, here there are EGL's cut criterias:

Israel: Excellent ideal cut (sym excellent); Tolkowsky Ideal Cut (sym very good); premium cut (sym very good), all with a few lines of text... Eg 'EXCELLENT IDEAL CUT – The quality of the cut of this diamond achieves excellence in symmetry and proportion, thus obtaining the optimal dispersion of light and brilliance *** Tolkowsky Ideal Cut - The proportions of this diamond are within the tolerance of those proposed by Marcel Tolkowsky, as the ideal balance between balance and dispersion and so on... (Disclaimer: I hope the text is correct... I think my brain is serving me correctly in this moment
1.gif
!!!!!!!!

Antwerp: ideal cut, premium cut (but no text)

EGL USA: ideal cut plus, ideal cut (has to have vg pol and sym, no text)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results