shape
carat
color
clarity

Gray hair

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
I am in my early 40's and my hair is going gray. It has been for probably at least 8 years. I have a stripe of hair in one spot at the crown of my head that's pretty solidly gray. I've always liked that, but now more hairs are starting to grow in gray. I am pretty set on going gray naturally, mostly because I am lazy and cheap and can't imagine coloring my hair every month or so. And I don't mind the color changing. The issue though is the texture. I have curly hair, and it's super thick. There are always a million little hairs growing in, which in and of itself doesn't look great. But the gray ones are so wiry and they tend to stick straight up or stick out at weird angles. I am so compelled to just pull them out because they make me feel like an old witch!. My hairdresser says not to pull them out because they just need to get longer and then they'll lay down.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone is going gray naturally and dealing with this. Is this just the texture of gray hair, and I'll just look like a mess as I age? Any must have products or hints for gray hair? My hair is long but I've worn it short and straightened it in the past, so I'm considering that as well once I decide it's time for a change. It's too much work to straighten it when it's as long as it is now.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
After losing all my hair to chemo, I let it grow back naturally. I had wondered since 1987 what color was my “real“ hair after decades of being a blonde, then brunette, no matter what, I would get the “contrast stripe” as it grew out and like you (lazy/cheap) did my own color, but after I started with a “blank slate” so to speak, it’s all natural now. The gray hairs are more wire-y, but true as they grow out more, they blend in. I have thick wavy hair and I just take a tiny bit of hair gel (aussie) and put it on my hand (even way smaller than a pea), then add a bit of water, rub hands together, then “smooth“ over my hair where I notice any errant strands. This also helps with frizz. Throughout the day, as soon as I start fiddling with it and it gets more poofy, I just use my already wet hands after using the restroom (from washing them, not from…) and smooth over my hair. Seems to work pretty well and the best part: No whiteout strip!!

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
I have gray, but I color my hair. Every 6 months or so, I’ve been getting a keratin treatment. My hair is rather coarse as the gray gets heavier, but this has been amazing for me. It lays so smoothly now. Wish I felt the courage to go gray! I tried for 14 months then went back to color.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use silicone-free leave in conditioner after every shampoo (hair still damp) and it helps soften the grays and allow hair to sit down better.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had my first grey hair when I was 14, it's genetic as both my parents started to go grey quite young.

When I was in my 30s, I tried semi-permanent colouring at my usual salon in an attempt to hide some of the greys. The colouring was not designed to get rid or mask of the greys completely, but to apply a bit of colour to them so that they blended better with the black hair (I am Chinese).

I did not like the smell and the extra time required to have it done; however, I kept going for a couple of years.

Until one day, the new growth at my side parting of hairstyle at the time showed a lot of grey and very noticeable.

I was horrified as I really hated that look, as in new growth that is distinctively different/greyer to the artificial colour, especially for oriental hair on ladies of a certain age who insist on using the blackest of black hair dye.

So that was the end of semi-permanent colouring and I slowly let the colour to be washed away, and I have never had colours in my hair again.

I am now salt and pepper, more salt than pepper. It is taking ages to go grey completely, however, so be it.

People have asked where I have my hair colouring done as it is very natural, which make me giggle when I inform them it is completely natural.

Whenever peeps compliment me about looking young for my age (being chubby stretch the wrinkles on my face! :lol-2:) I remind them of my true age with the white/grey hair to prove it!

My hair is short and have to have a hair cut every month, and have saved myself a fortune and time for not having regular semi-permanent colouring on top of that.

Each to their own at the end of the day - I am happy with going natural with my hair, and would say I am pretty low maintenance.

DK :))

Taylorbug!

Brilliant_Rock

There is a picture of my hair in post #62. Been gray about 10 years now (I think). Never missed the coloring at all..... :)

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Funnily enough, I was just reading an article about caring for gray hair yesterday. The key is moisture, moisture, moisture! Amika Soulfood is really wonderful and much cheaper than many of the hair masks out there, like Kerastase. It's $30 but you get a much larger amount that those uber-expensive ones.

The hairdresser is right. Don't pull them out. Not only will you have baby-alien hair forever, but if you keep pulling them out, it can damage the hair follicle and then it won't produce a hair at all. And nobody wants that!

If you want to color them but are unsure about the commitment, choose a demi-permanent gloss. It's not as long-lasting as permanent and doesn't cover quite so well, but it fades gradually so doesn't leave a line, and is low-commitment, low-damage. Try Redken Shades EQ, available from a website entitled sleekshop. They're really good. Don't get an ash shade, or you risk the whites being green or blue. If you want a warm color, that's easy - plenty of those to choose from - and if you want a cool result, choose a neutral. It will come out looking very natural and neither too warm nor too ashy.

I'm familiar with the Shades range. What color would you want to gloss your hair? I could help you choose a shade.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My girlfriend stopped coloring her hair right after her daughter’s wedding. She went through the worst grow out phase during COVID lockdown. It is all done now and her silver grey is gorgeous. She complains that her hair is thinning, super straight, and it has no body. It is just above shoulder length. I admire you all, I just can’t face being grey and I do my own roots with a semipermanent dye (thank God for Wella 7A and 7N color and a 20 volume developer bought through Sally’s) I then get partial highlights twice a year. The money I save doing my monthly “skunk stripe eradication’ justifies the big bucks I spend for the highlights. I used to be a natural medium brown with goldish- reddish highlights.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You wrote, " I am pretty set on going gray naturally, mostly because I am lazy and cheap and can't imagine coloring my hair every month or so. ...
I am so compelled to just pull them out because they make me feel like an old witch!"

IMO the problem isn't on your head; it's in it.
Don't let society teach you such crap.
What's next, feeling ashamed because your perfectly good car isn't new enough?

Companies make billions convincing us we're not okay unless we buy their stuff.
Invent a problem.
Sell them the solution.
:knockout: Reminds me of religions.

Be strong.
Be natural. ... like me. :bigsmile:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are tons of products available to smooth and condition gray hair. Perhaps drop into a local salon and ask for advice on which would be best for your hair.

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
After losing all my hair to chemo, I let it grow back naturally. I had wondered since 1987 what color was my “real“ hair after decades of being a blonde, then brunette, no matter what, I would get the “contrast stripe” as it grew out and like you (lazy/cheap) did my own color, but after I started with a “blank slate” so to speak, it’s all natural now. The gray hairs are more wire-y, but true as they grow out more, they blend in. I have thick wavy hair and I just take a tiny bit of hair gel (aussie) and put it on my hand (even way smaller than a pea), then add a bit of water, rub hands together, then “smooth“ over my hair where I notice any errant strands. This also helps with frizz. Throughout the day, as soon as I start fiddling with it and it gets more poofy, I just use my already wet hands after using the restroom (from washing them, not from…) and smooth over my hair. Seems to work pretty well and the best part: No whiteout strip!!

Thanks for your input. I am trying some new products and trying to work a little more on my hair now that it is quite long (for me). It's funny how you mention fiddling with it and it getting more poofy. When I wear my hair down sometimes my kids want to play with it and if I actually have to keep it nice for some reason I have to tell them not to touch it! Once you start breaking up the curls there's no going back!

I have gray, but I color my hair. Every 6 months or so, I’ve been getting a keratin treatment. My hair is rather coarse as the gray gets heavier, but this has been amazing for me. It lays so smoothly now. Wish I felt the courage to go gray! I tried for 14 months then went back to color.

A keratin treatment is a good suggestion. I have had those in the past and they do make a difference, although for me the couple of times I tried it the difference was not enough to justify the cost, but it's been years so maybe I will try again. I bet the products have improved since then.

I use silicone-free leave in conditioner after every shampoo (hair still damp) and it helps soften the grays and allow hair to sit down better.

Do you prefer a cream style of a spray style? I am currently trying a cream style for the first time but I have to use such a teeny tiny amount or else it feels a little too heavy, so I want to try a new product once I run out of this.

I had my first grey hair when I was 14, it's genetic as both my parents started to go grey quite young.

When I was in my 30s, I tried semi-permanent colouring at my usual salon in an attempt to hide some of the greys. The colouring was not designed to get rid or mask of the greys completely, but to apply a bit of colour to them so that they blended better with the black hair (I am Chinese).

I did not like the smell and the extra time required to have it done; however, I kept going for a couple of years.

Until one day, the new growth at my side parting of hairstyle at the time showed a lot of grey and very noticeable.

I was horrified as I really hated that look, as in new growth that is distinctively different/greyer to the artificial colour, especially for oriental hair on ladies of a certain age who insist on using the blackest of black hair dye.

So that was the end of semi-permanent colouring and I slowly let the colour to be washed away, and I have never had colours in my hair again.

I am now salt and pepper, more salt than pepper. It is taking ages to go grey completely, however, so be it.

People have asked where I have my hair colouring done as it is very natural, which make me giggle when I inform them it is completely natural.

Whenever peeps compliment me about looking young for my age (being chubby stretch the wrinkles on my face! :lol-2:) I remind them of my true age with the white/grey hair to prove it!

My hair is short and have to have a hair cut every month, and have saved myself a fortune and time for not having regular semi-permanent colouring on top of that.

Each to their own at the end of the day - I am happy with going natural with my hair, and would say I am pretty low maintenance.

DK :))

The way we wear our hair can definitely make a big difference in showing off the grays. When I wear my hair down you can barely tell, but when it's pulled back there's no denying it!

There is a picture of my hair in post #62. Been gray about 10 years now (I think). Never missed the coloring at all..... :)

Thanks for linking this post, I'm excited to look through it. And your hair is lovely! I really do love the look of natural gray hair.

Funnily enough, I was just reading an article about caring for gray hair yesterday. The key is moisture, moisture, moisture! Amika Soulfood is really wonderful and much cheaper than many of the hair masks out there, like Kerastase. It's $30 but you get a much larger amount that those uber-expensive ones.

The hairdresser is right. Don't pull them out. Not only will you have baby-alien hair forever, but if you keep pulling them out, it can damage the hair follicle and then it won't produce a hair at all. And nobody wants that!

If you want to color them but are unsure about the commitment, choose a demi-permanent gloss. It's not as long-lasting as permanent and doesn't cover quite so well, but it fades gradually so doesn't leave a line, and is low-commitment, low-damage. Try Redken Shades EQ, available from a website entitled sleekshop. They're really good. Don't get an ash shade, or you risk the whites being green or blue. If you want a warm color, that's easy - plenty of those to choose from - and if you want a cool result, choose a neutral. It will come out looking very natural and neither too warm nor too ashy.

I'm familiar with the Shades range. What color would you want to gloss your hair? I could help you choose a shade.

Haha, baby alien hair! Thanks for the recommendations, I will look into that brand of hair mask. I have recently bought some "nicer" products and am trying to see if I notice any differences to see what might be worth continuing. I am set on not starting to color, but I do really appreciate the offer for help, and the gloss you're describing sounds perfect if I change my mind.

My girlfriend stopped coloring her hair right after her daughter’s wedding. She went through the worst grow out phase during COVID lockdown. It is all done now and her silver grey is gorgeous. She complains that her hair is thinning, super straight, and it has no body. It is just above shoulder length. I admire you all, I just can’t face being grey and I do my own roots with a semipermanent dye (thank God for Wella 7A and 7N color and a 20 volume developer bought through Sally’s) I then get partial highlights twice a year. The money I save doing my monthly “skunk stripe eradication’ justifies the big bucks I spend for the highlights. I used to be a natural medium brown with goldish- reddish highlights.

My mom grew out her hair in the last few years too and it's gorgeous. She was so glad to finally be done with the frequent coloring.

You wrote, " I am pretty set on going gray naturally, mostly because I am lazy and cheap and can't imagine coloring my hair every month or so. ...
I am so compelled to just pull them out because they make me feel like an old witch!"

IMO the problem isn't on your head; it's in it.
Don't let society teach you such crap.
What's next, feeling ashamed because your perfectly good car isn't new enough?

Companies make billions convincing us we're not okay unless we buy their stuff.
Invent a problem.
Sell them the solution.
:knockout: Reminds me of religions.

Be strong.
Be natural. ... like me. :bigsmile:

I appreciate your perspective. You're right, it is in my head, but not in the way that you are assuming. I had a family member that suffered from substance abuse and mental illness. Her hair was very similar in color and texture to mine and she never had the means to properly care for it. I have vivid memories of her dry, frizzy hair streaked with course gray pieces and I feel sad to think about how she couldn't take care of herself the way she would have liked. It is unfair of me to use the word witch, as that is not how I remember her, but that was the closest imagery I could think of without getting into the story. I have a lot of feelings about her life and when I feel that my hair is resembling hers it brings up those emotions.

There are tons of products available to smooth and condition gray hair. Perhaps drop into a local salon and ask for advice on which would be best for your hair.

Thanks, I did talk to my hairdresser and he told me just to not be lazy! Just because I'm a low maintenance girl. So I'm working on trying some new things!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
my mother was completly grey at 40 so i have to die mine
but i have fine hair and the grey is super soft so i think it must depend on hair type

actually its not grey, its almost white like my grandma
i die it myself but i find the wings are the hardest and grow back in first

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Following.....
I have recently found my first grey hair (45 y/o) and it sure sticks up and is frizzy. My hair is extra fine and very smooth, so I wanted to pluck it asap. Resisted after reading this thread though. But realised I'll have to lean to cope with completely new challenges in the coming decades. Didn't really think beyond the colour of grey hairs before. Oy to the vey

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Someone once commented I looked like a badger from behind, due to a wide streak of white hair running down back of my head.

DK :lol-2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately I will never go fully gray (which is a look I actually like) and instead I have a messy scattered gray among dark reddish brown hairs look happening. Not organized in any way so yeah not a fan. But I am also very low maintenance (read lazy lol) so basically just let it be. Occasionally (once a year) I might do a temporary rinse.

But for the most part I am content to let it be. No one in my family ever colored their hair (not even my grandma when she was alive may she RIP) so maybe it's just not in my genetic makeup to care enough about my hair color. I also have never done any cosmetic procedures. It's just not right for me. I admit it can look great on others but I not motivated to do anything like that.

Pandemic or not my beauty routine (which is non existent lol) has not changed in any way.

My motto (one of them) is "be you, do you, for you".
What is right for you is what is right for you and what others do doesn't matter for you. There is no right or wrong here it is what works best for you. IMO.

beyoudoyouforyou.jpg

So here I am being me. LOL.
Gray and reddish brown hair messy mix.

Not a particularly flattering hair selfie lol but it's what I have that is recent.

selfieincar2022.png

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Next month marks two years dye free. I could not love my hair more! My fine shoulder length hair is healthier, shinier and sparkles heavy silver around my face and salt and pepper in the rest. I agree with @kenny, get comfortable with who you are and don’t “buy” into society shaming us that gray hair means old and ugly. Embrace who you are! You may come to this liberation slowly but I hope that you do.

ETA. @Matata is right, there are so many hair products to help smooth the frizzies.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will be 63 in two months and have yet to get a gray or white hair. I consider myself super lucky.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
FYI everyone, another really good product is Olapex No 3. The bottle looks small, but the liquid spreads easily and it lasts longer than you'd think. In my experience, you can't go wrong with an hour of Olaplex and then 30 mins of Amika Soulfood on your bonce! (I bleached my already-dry, frizzy, curly hair platinum blonde for two years. I know what I'm talking about when it comes to repairing and moisturizing hair products!)

Another star product is Briogeo Don't Despiar, Repair hair mask. Turned my fried, damaged strands to silk.

I've tried Kerastase masks, and I don't think they're as good as Amika or Briogeo. They're good, for sure, but not worth the crazy price tag. Amika's Repair mask (green tub) is also great.

The Kerstase hair serums, on the other hand, are another great tool in the arsenal for coarse hair that needs moisture/repair. Kerastase Nutritive 8H Magic Night Serum is very good.

I've also tried Olaplex No 9, the mask, and I think it's good also. But my two real go-tos are still Briogeo and Amika. If Olaplex No. 3 followed by one of those two doesn't sort you out, nothing will!

To tame frizz after blowdrying, Drybar's 100 Proof Smoothing Oil is the most lightweight oil I've found.

For me, the ultimate frizz-busting blowdry cream is Pureology Smooth Perfection Intense Smoothing Cream for Coarse Hair. It's the only product that's ever really controlled my hair.

Oh! I forgot - the best shampoo I ever found for frizziness was Kerastase Oleo-Relax shampoo, the clear one.

The above is my hard-won knowledge from the constant fight I have with my uncontrollable hair. To give you an idea, I have co-workers who call me Simba, my hair frizzes so much!

Last edited:

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
FYI everyone, another really good product is Olapex No 3. The bottle looks small, but the liquid spreads easily and it lasts longer than you'd think. In my experience, you can't go wrong with an hour of Olaplex and then 30 mins of Amika Soulfood on your bonce! (I bleached my already-dry, frizzy, curly hair platinum blonde for two years. I know what I'm talking about when it comes to repairing and moisturizing hair products!)

Another star product is Briogeo Don't Despiar, Repair hair mask. Turned my fried, damaged strands to silk.

I've tried Kerastase masks, and I don't think they're as good as Amika or Briogeo. They're good, for sure, but not worth the crazy price tag. Amika's Repair mask (green tub) is also great.

The Kerstase hair serums, on the other hand, are another great tool in the arsenal for coarse hair that needs moisture/repair. Kerastase Nutritive 8H Magic Night Serum is very good.

I've also tried Olaplex No 9, the mask, and I think it's good also. But my two real go-tos are still Briogeo and Amika. If Olaplex No. 3 followed by one of those two doesn't sort you out, nothing will!

To tame frizz after blowdrying, Drybar's 100 Proof Smoothing Oil is the most lightweight oil I've found.

For me, the ultimate frizz-busting blowdry cream is Pureology Smooth Perfection Intense Smoothing Cream for Coarse Hair. It's the only product that's ever really controlled my hair.

Oh! I forgot - the best shampoo I ever found for frizziness was Kerastase Oleo-Relax shampoo, the clear one.

The above is my hard-won knowledge from the constant fight I have with my uncontrollable hair. To give you an idea, I have co-workers who call me Simba, my hair frizzes so much!

Thank you so much, this is exactly what I was hoping for with this post! I'm going to look up these products & try some new things. Even gray aside, I know my curly hair needs more moisture.

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
Next month marks two years dye free. I could not love my hair more! My fine shoulder length hair is healthier, shinier and sparkles heavy silver around my face and salt and pepper in the rest. I agree with @kenny, get comfortable with who you are and don’t “buy” into society shaming us that gray hair means old and ugly. Embrace who you are! You may come to this liberation slowly but I hope that you do.

ETA. @Matata is right, there are so many hair products to help smooth the frizzies.

Thank you! My post must have come off wrong because I do like my gray hair. I love the stripe I've had for years and have no problem with the color change. I'm actually quite proud of my decision to go gray naturally.

The issue for me is just the crazy texture that I'm having to adjust to. Really just looking for some product suggestions which I'm so happy to have gotten!

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oops, sorry to misunderstand your post.
Have you tried Moroccan Oil products? The shampoo and conditioner are very moisturizing and the oil is great for smoothing and hydrating. Good for all hair types.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks for sharing your expertise!!!!! Eben for my super straight and naturally very soft but fine hair olaplex 3 is wonderful against breakage.

Ordering yiyr other suggestions RIGHT NOW

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for sharing your expertise!!!!! Eben for my super straight and naturally very soft but fine hair olaplex 3 is wonderful against breakage.

Let us know what you think of them!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh - I just saw that your hair is super straight, fine, and very soft. I think some of these products might be too heavy for your hair type and might weigh it down. They're for controlling difficult hair - whether difficult due to bleaching, natural texture, or grays.

But if you've already ordered, maybe just use small amounts and don't leave the masks on for too long - maybe just 15 mins. I saturate my dry bird's nest and leave them on for an hour.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh - I just saw that your hair is super straight, fine, and very soft. I think some of these products might be too heavy for your hair type and might weigh it down. They're for controlling difficult hair - whether difficult due to bleaching, natural texture, or grays.

But if you've already ordered, maybe just use small amounts and don't leave the masks on for too long - maybe just 15 mins. I saturate my dry bird's nest and leave them on for an hour.
Thank you for letting me know, I appreciate
My hair gets very dry at the ends and I have a lot of breakage at the back of my neck from wearing scarves. I'll report back!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for letting me know, I appreciate
My hair gets very dry at the ends and I have a lot of breakage at the back of my neck from wearing scarves. I'll report back!

Yes, do! I'll be very interested to know how you find the products. Happy silky hair, here you come! Yay!

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just went completely gray by growing my roots out some and then bleaching the rest until it was light enough to color it silver. I use a lot of olaplex products for the bleached parts. To highlight my silver, I use a purple shampoo called No Yellow. I also use a silver conditioner by overtone. For moisture, I use a spray by aveda called nutriplenish. I also use a leave in by IGK called Mistress.

If your hair is curly, you should look up the curly girl method. They have a lot of hydrating product recommendations that might work for your hair. Gray hair tends to be non porous which makes it difficult to moisturize. The have a lot of recommendations for non porous hair.

https://overtone.co/products/pastel...g1xOqbSrzTQIVLi6P5dpZcRQKBBSVrVcaAglvEALw_wcB
https://www.ulta.com/p/mistress-hyd...voVAdfKM2GWPyXpmkhZx6Kl5Hq-03z7UaAgDaEALw_wcB

April20

Ideal_Rock
I'm 44 and I'm completely silver. I started getting silver hair in my teens (genetic, thanks Dad). I colored it for years and years but when it got to the point where you almost couldn't tell where my color ended and my "natural" color began, I let it go. I'm super lucky in that mine looks rather platinum and it didn't get a weird texture. It has a lot of body now, where when I was younger, it was stick straight. My color is close to some of the recently trendy gray colors people were coloring their hair on purpose to the point where I've been stopped a couple of times by women telling me they loved the color and that I must have just gotten it done. A few months ago, we had some plumbing work done and the 50something year old guy that did the work told me my hair was "dope". I find this hilarious.

Piper70

Shiny_Rock
I started highlighting my natural blonde in my thirties but have fully colored it for at least 10 years. Mostly because the non-gray hair was a dirty dishwater color. I have embraced my natural curls and rarely dry my hair so the wiry texture blends in. I use Carol’s Daughter products which are made for African American hair but also work well on my curly bleached hair. I don’t find it a hardship to color it and
have found it easy to mimic the light and darker blonde parts that would naturally occur. I’m sure I will eventually go natural but at 53, I’m not there yet.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results