shape
carat
color
clarity

Gray Color in Diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

roy

Rough_Rock
I looked at a few round cuts yesterday and noticed that the bottom half of the diamonds appeared slightly gray (compared to the top half). These diamonds were G and H colors. Can someone explain to me why this is so? The darker shade gray stone did not appear to be as brilliant as the other lesser shade of gray.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Have you seen this effect when viewing from the side or top of the diamond?

roy

Rough_Rock
I saw this when the stones were upside down (like when you're trying to determine the color).

roy

Rough_Rock
No, I did not see the gray shade from top view down.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
This is a normal effect as a result of the strange reflection patterns when you look from about 45 degrees.
Unless there are lots of inclusions which can make the pavilion / culet area look dark.

BEDAZZLED

Shiny_Rock
My VS2 also looks grayish on the bottom near the culet as compared to the top half when looking from the side.

There is also a line around the circumference in the middle of the stone which I was told is a refelction of the table.

Neither effect the sparkle when looking from the top.

So, my stone is "normal"??? I had it for a year and still constantly stare at it.

roy

Rough_Rock
I am glad to hear that the grayish color near the culet when viewed sideways is normal. The appraiser who was looking at the following diamond (GIA cert)

1.19K, G, VVS2
60.6 Depth, 57 Table
medium faceted
none cutlet/flr
ex pol/sym

was quite fascinated with it. He did showed me two other stones that had similar gray color but kept going back to this particular stone. I think he was trying to say that the darker gray in this diamond did not reflect or sparkle quite as much as the other stone when shone directly under the light. I couldn't really tell myself. He and his partner assured me that the stone matched the cert.

On another note, you guys had mentioned that I shouldn't use the Rappaport list price to compare to market price. However, the appraisers told me that the asking price of $8200 is fair for the internet. If this is true, then the price per carat is about $6900 which is about the average $/carat for a 1A round cut on Rappaport. The following Sarin report lists all as AGS 0. Does this mean that it's a 1A cut? Could I haven't gotten a better price? Thanks for all other replies.

Sarin Report
Crown Angle 34.3
Pavil Angle 41.1
Pavil Depth 43.0
Culet 0.3%

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results