shape
carat
color
clarity

Grateful for advice on colour please! H-I

APlaceForEverything

Rough_Rock
Hello all

I would greatly value your advice on colour please. My e-ring is a GIA H and has just come back from detailing so it’s looking pretty clean. I have also just bought an anniversary band from JA in the H-I range.

When I put them together, to my eyes there is a noticeable difference in colour. Assuming my anniversary ring is all I, is a visible difference with an H stone to be expected? I’ve never thought I’m particularly colour-sensitive and my H is totally fine for me in terms of colour, but I’m wondering if my anniversary ring is a low-I which is causing the difference.

Ultimately they’ll be worn on different hands so I doubt it will be an issue (so maybe this is more a mind clean thing!) but I would appreciate PS’ superior knowledge to let me know if this colour difference is par for the course or not (or if I’m being a worry wart!).

Thank you so much F81AB23F-4D73-4C4F-87B2-74A104821B7B.jpeg 6EEF075E-1EFA-4370-A264-B2F65511ED4E.jpeg

APlaceForEverything

Rough_Rock
Since little melee stones are not individually graded, some vendors can optimistically assign a color grade. If you can see the difference, I'd definitely return it.

Thanks so much. I wondered if it was a generous kind of an I! I’ll contact JA and see what my options are and whether another ring would definitely be different. I’ll also have to factor in the 15% taxes and customs on a replacement.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
You need to take the color images on a white background and at a tilted angle.
And if you can tell us the type of light.
Shaded daylight is best, near or on a window sill.
Or some sort of difused light - no spot lights.
And zoom in closer up.

APlaceForEverything

Rough_Rock
Thank you Gary - my photography skills are definitely rudimentary. I’ll do that and return to this thread :)

APlaceForEverything

Rough_Rock
That was a harder assignment than I anticipated! Here’s my best effort: in front of a window with shuttered light, sunlight is overcast because Melbourne’s weather is typical today, on an angle (I hope the right one!), zoomed in and white background. I’ve chosen the pictures that I think most accurately reflect reality although my e-ring is a bit whiter.

Thanks anyone who cares to comment!

79BFBA88-3082-4EAE-89BA-603AFB1A58EA.jpeg 3803780F-78D4-4788-9F9C-F5C6B267C19D.jpeg

APlaceForEverything

Rough_Rock
And for extra: 0FC6A648-AEA1-46B8-9872-E0039D7C65E8.jpeg

michkal

Rough_Rock
I’m no expert, but I do see a difference. I don’t mind warmth and I think the rings look nice together! Hard to tell from photos because we’re focusing on it up close. It’s your hand and if you’re not 100% happy, make it so you are!

APlaceForEverything

Rough_Rock
I’m no expert, but I do see a difference. I don’t mind warmth and I think the rings look nice together! Hard to tell from photos because we’re focusing on it up close. It’s your hand and if you’re not 100% happy, make it so you are!
Thanks @michkal ! I also don’t mind the warmth per se, so I guess it’s whether I will learn to forget about it/enjoy it, or continually be bothered. I am glad you can see the difference from my photography attempts!

APlaceForEverything

Rough_Rock
Thanks Garry; it’s quite a bit lower in colour isn’t it! I’ve emailed JA to discuss options. Appreciate your opinion very much!

Thank heavens the five reasons and five km are gone - I’ve got a night at a hotel on the Peninsula and a babysitter lined up for Saturday!! Hoping not too many SES calls from the wind again.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks Garry; it’s quite a bit lower in colour isn’t it! I’ve emailed JA to discuss options. Appreciate your opinion very much!

Thank heavens the five reasons and five km are gone - I’ve got a night at a hotel on the Peninsula and a babysitter lined up for Saturday!! Hoping not too many SES calls from the wind again.

Could well be I, but no lower than J as the grade difference below H gets larger as you drop.

APlaceForEverything

Rough_Rock
Thanks again everyone for your advice! Here’s a little update.

I asked JA how they assessed stone colour. I got a very friendly response that didn’t answer my questions really - I was advised to upgrade to an F-G band but my concern that my H-I was more like a J wasn’t addressed.

I wrote back being clearer with my concern, and the next response was that H-Is are more suitable to yellow gold settings. This doesn’t sit well with me because 1. this isn’t mentioned at all on the JA site for this ring, and 2. I have an H e-ring in white gold and there’s no issue, and 3. I have a WG H-I tennis bracelet from JA which is very white facing.

So all up, while the communication has been polite, my actually concerns haven’t been addressed at all. If they assured me my ring was just the lower end of I then I’d accept that’s in range of what I agreed to buy and I was just unfortunate - but I’m not getting anywhere with that line of questioning.

Nonetheless I don’t think it’s worth fighting over and it appears I won’t get a straight answer from JA. I’ve decided to upgrade to an F-G and cop the customs fees (and given price I’ve had to move to lab diamonds … but I did upgrade size while I was at it!). It has left a bit of a sour taste in the mouth though and I’d be reluctant to buy again.

Thanks again for all your advice :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results