shape
carat
color
clarity

Grandmother's locket..

Mkiah

Rough_Rock
Okay, my grandmother has this gorgeous locket. She can't remember where she got it from, but it certainly looks very old.
The detail is quite remarkable. There are no diamonds, but I was hoping someone here might know about it! We'd love to know the time era it came from and what exactly it is.

locket3.jpg locket2.jpg locket4.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Notice the locket opens up as if someone wearing it would be able to look down and see the picture. Does that mean anything?

Thanks for your help in advance!
-W

anora

Rough_Rock
You can get every type of jewelry from internet...
Specially i recommend you to search that type of necklace in eBay and amazon...

lindacat

Rough_Rock
Not knowing your age (or your grandmother's age!), I am not sure about dating this piece. Even in the 1950-70 time period, there were alot of fake pieces made to look like old Victorian (or earlier) ones.
Does the locket have a clasp on the back? Most earlier ones have both a bale and a clasp, as they could then be worn as either a necklace or a brooch. If it has a clasp, is it an open c-clasp type, or a safety clasp? Does the pin extend over the side of the locket? These can be good indicators of the age of a piece.
Is it marked with 14K or any other type markings? These can also help to date it. If you have a good jewler in your area, they might be able to tell, too - although alot of them are not well-versed in the antique pieces at all. Lots of info exists on the internet, so check there, too. Good luck!

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Can you find a maker's hallmark on the piece? You could then look the hallmark up to determine what company made it. Then google that company to learn more about the jewelry they manufactured.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results