shape
carat
color
clarity

Grandmother's Amethyst???

LissaB

Rough_Rock
Picture of the ring in a white bowl of water. Picture outside in the sun light and the last shot is inside. I inherited this ring from my mother. It belonged to her mother. Is it a real amethyst? Thank you for your help!
20210506_082201.jpg 20210506_082402.jpg 20210506_082637.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why did you put it in water? Just curious!

It's impossible to tell from photos I'm afraid. There are some excellent synthetic gemstones out there but Amethyst is a relatively low cost gem so it could well be. If you want to know for sure, take it to a jeweller near you and ask them - they can look at it through a loupe and even run a few tests. However, it sounds like a lovely family ring with lots of sentiment attached to it. Enjoy it. x

LissaB

Rough_Rock

It's impossible to tell from photos I'm afraid. There are some excellent synthetic gemstones out there but Amethyst is a relatively low cost gem so it could well be. If you want to know for sure, take it to a jeweller near you and ask them - they can look at it through a loupe and even run a few tests. However, it sounds like a lovely family ring with lots of sentiment attached to it. Enjoy it. x

there was an old thread on here that mentioned the water test. If it looks solid color under water it is most likely glass. I'm planning on taking it to be sized and I will have them check. I just thought there might be someone on here that was familiar with the water test. And of course now I can't find that post.

LissaB

Rough_Rock

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/glass-or-actually-amethyst.249840/ Here is the link where they talk about the water test

Adam95

Shiny_Rock
Colored class was extremely common back then and not that long ago and that this was 1 of the most expensive gemstones. Just given from the visual, I would guess it isn't natural, but you should be able to find a jeweler/appraiser in your area if you want to know for sure

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Picture of the ring in a white bowl of water. Picture outside in the sun light and the last shot is inside. I inherited this ring from my mother. It belonged to her mother. Is it a real amethyst? Thank you for your help!
20210506_082201.jpg 20210506_082402.jpg 20210506_082637.jpg

Its a lovelly ring
Which finger would you like to wear it on ?
My fingers are crossed for you its a real amethyst - but if its not please don't be discouraged and still love it
I love inherited grandma jewlery real, synthetic, faux whatever

Do you remember you gran and your mum wearing it ?

LissaB

Rough_Rock
Its a lovelly ring
Which finger would you like to wear it on ?
My fingers are crossed for you its a real amethyst - but if its not please don't be discouraged and still love it
I love inherited grandma jewlery real, synthetic, faux whatever

Do you remember you gran and your mum wearing it ?

Thank you. I will most likely wear it on my index finger. I do remember my grandmother wearing it. My mother never wore it as it was too big for her fingers. It just stayed tucked away in a jewelry box.

LissaB

Rough_Rock
Colored class was extremely common back then and not that long ago and that this was 1 of the most expensive gemstones. Just given from the visual, I would guess it isn't natural, but you should be able to find a jeweler/appraiser in your area if you want to know for sure

Thank you. I looked at it under magnification and it looks too perfect to be real. I do have a real amethyst and you can see imperfections in it when magnified. I will find out for certain when I take it to be sized.

kimberlyqkim

Shiny_Rock
what a wonderful family piece. a GG jeweler will be able to tell you if it is amethyst with a quick look. its a low cost stone. regardless, what a wonderful heirloom to have!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results