shape
carat
color
clarity

Grandma''s Ring - HCA 0.1 ??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tomkat

Rough_Rock
Hi friendly diamond folks,

My sister just inherited all Grandma's jewelry and I am hoping to get engaged soon. My sister has kindly given me one of the bigger rings. My Grandmother got this on a cruise from an older James Bond type guy and we thought it was fake. It isnt because we found the EGL report for it:

1.51 carat
ROUND BRILLIANT
7.53 - 7.48 x 4.43 mm
Depth 59%
Table 57%
Crown 13.8%
Pavillion 42%
Girdle: VERY THIN TO SL. THICK POLISHED
Pol/Sym GOOD
Cutlet NONE
Flourescense NONE

Its rated an F colour and I2 clarity. I can see just by looking at it that it has a single biggish black spot. I read here about clarity enhancement to remove spots like http:///www.oved.com/ which I will certainly have done if I decide to give this ring. I could not possible afford anything like this otherwise.

My question (finally) is that this ring scores 0.1 on the HCA index. Is that possible or an error ? Is this ring worth having the spot removed ? What would that do to its value or insurance premium ? And finally I have no idea how much its worth and I am curious.

Thanks for all comments and help
Kind Regards
Tomkat

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't stick to 0.1 exact HCA score because crown and pavilion depth % on the EGL report are rounded i.e. not exactly accurate.

However, the proportions suggest this is very nice stone with a good spread (even without exact measurements).

Apart from the black sport, what do you think? Is it a nice looking rock?

RubyBleu

Rough_Rock
If it's an I2, then it wont just have a black spot - it will be pretty nasty in other ways too - Yes you could lazer it, or do some stuff to it, but what you can do depends on what else is going on in the stone - structural integrity becomes an issues at the bottom end of I2.... you might be restricted on how agressively you can tackle those inclusions... A ualified Diamond guy should be able to tell you.

RB

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results