shape
carat
color
clarity

grandma was a lucky girl...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Hey guys and gals - thought I''d post a picture (well several actually) of my grandma''s engagement ring, purchased sometime in the 1920''s custom made by Gump''s.

Its a pink star sapphire in an art deco platinum setting - its actually platinum 900 instead of 950, but whatever its allowed with has allowed it to keep its shine and whiteness beautifully - its actually less scratched up than my e-ring. Unfortunately, the pics don''t really capture the true color of the pink sapphire - its a really vibrant almost fuschia color. I don''t remember the exact size from the appraisal, but I think it was estimated around 4.75 ct, and the little diamonds are 1 pointers or so. To give you an idea of the overall size, the ring is a size 8+ right now (less than 8.25, larger than 8), and it fits my larger middle finger and my mom''s ring finger. Enjoy:

47b5db00b3127cce91eabdff16d000000016108AZNGLlyzYuB

47b5db00b3127cce91eabdfa97e500000016108AZNGLlyzYuB

47b5db00b3127cce91eabdf897e700000016108AZNGLlyzYuB

47b5db00b3127cce91eabdf916d600000016108AZNGLlyzYuB

47b5db00b3127cce91eabde697f900000016108AZNGLlyzYuB

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
AmberGretchen,
Wow your granma was a lucky girl indeed. That pink star sapphire is a real beauty and love the art deco setting. Thanks for sharing this treasure with us, it''s amazing!!!
30.gif
30.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
W O W
23.gif

Your Grandma''s ring is absolutely, totally, incredibly gorgeous!!

That star sapphire is to die for...Incredible!

widget

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
That is one cool-and beautiful- ring. I adore that pink shade!
30.gif
Thanks for sharing with us!
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
wow very pretty! i love heirloom pieces!!

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
Oh it''s just beautiful! I love the pink sapphire and it''s such a lovely setting. Gorgeous!

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, I''m sure your grandma looked pretty in pink! It''s beautiful and very unique.

Tali

Rough_Rock
What a beautiful ring! Can you see the star IRL?

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
I love it!!
30.gif
30.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Oh wow! Your grandmother was a lucky girl indeed

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Hey guys - thanks so much for the compliments - I will definitely pass them on to my mom. Unfortunately, none of the pics really captured the detail of the setting, so I might try again when the digital camera is charged. I think there was also just too much light when I was taking the pictures - the colors got very washed out.

Also, yes you can see the star IRL - it sometimes takes a minute before you can, but its really nice once you do. Its really just a gorgeous ring - really delicate and very well-made. I''m having fun wearing it while mommy is away for the weekend
2.gif

I will try to post pics of the 2.5 ct J VS2 OEC that step-grandma got for her engagement ring - its no longer in its original setting, but the stone is stunning - very fiery.

widget

Ideal_Rock
AG..I just wanted to pop back in to add a couple of thoughts..

Obviously, that ring is PRICELESS because it belonged to your grandmother.

But as an antique jewelry freak who has spent YEARS prowling around looking for old pieces, I can honestly say that your Grandma's ring is among the finest I have seen...and almost priceless in its own right!

In my experience a classic, well crafted ring from the '20-'30s (custom made by Gumps, no less
23.gif
), in combination with a very fine gemstone like that star ruby, is a rare and special treasure indeed.

I think your Grandma, your Mom, and maybe you someday, are ALL very lucky girls!

widget

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
WOW!! what a beautiful ring.....awesome
3.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Aww...widget what a sweet thing to say. It is quite an eye-catcher - whenever one of us wears it (we got it sized to fit my middle finger, mom''s ring finger), we always get compliments. And the people at the local place we took it to have it appraised just loved it - they were all really impressed with the color of the sapphire. I wish that I could capture it better - its really a deep almost fuschia color, just very striking. I actually think its amazing its still in such good shape after all these years - the bottom of the band is less scratched-up than my e-ring. Actually, the appraiser is going through Gump''s to get a quote for what an equivalent ring would cost to have made these days, but the appraisal amount she gave was already higher than we were expecting
1.gif
The only problem I have is that when I wear it it sort of dwarfs my 1.12 ct e-ring...guess I''ll just have to get an upgrade
31.gif
Probably not until FI graduates from law school though...
3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results