shape
carat
color
clarity

Graff Lesotho Promise Necklace - a tidy profit

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Wow. Very interesting. Thanks!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/9/2008 2:47:11 PM
Author: Paul-Antwerp

Date: 8/9/2008 11:39:25 AM
Author: DiaGem

Date: 8/9/2008 11:35:58 AM
Author: Ninama
.. and yum.
How much ($$) labor and material do any of you think went into this necklace? (not including $12,300,000 worth of Diamonds at cost or $50,000,000 at retail...)
27.gif
27.gif
27.gif

One things for sure...., I dont know anyone else who ever cut that many D-Internally Flawless Diamonds out of on major rock!!!
i am sure you could do it too with Sergey''s toys DG
3.gif

I salute Graff''s expert-ism...
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
The Lesotho-mine is famous for most of its white stones being D-colour. Most of their output is also Type II-A.
Old Indian Gloconda diamonds were also this type I think Paul.
Type II diamonds are very pure carbon and tend to grow very quickly and in any direction, so they are often amorphous wierd shapes. I seem to remember that they could grow 100cts in a day or two - of course the MMD or lab grown diamond people would like to replicate this environmnet one day.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/9/2008 1:16:32 PM
Author: Dee*Jay
This might be a stupid question but why would they have used white gold rather than platinum?
That is a really interesting question Dee*Jay.
Platinum is about 1/2 as heavier again than white gold, that is the only reason I can think of?

DiaGem, I imagine the planning and polishing would have been contracted out at around $400 per carat of the finished diamonds? What do you think?

The piece of jewellery would run to about half a day to a day per stone at around $2k per day.

Weight around 100 grams

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/11/2008 4:12:17 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

This might be a stupid question but why would they have used white gold rather than platinum?
Like I wrote previously in this thread: "What else would he do with a yellow colored rough Diamond sight? Just as he did with the colorless ones..., just add some metal!!!"

Yellow or white
20.gif

Platinum is about 1/2 as heavier again than white gold, that is the only reason I can think of?

DiaGem, I imagine the planning and polishing would have been contracted out at around $400 per carat of the finished diamonds? What do you think?

Why would you say that??? Would you contract it out? If you had in-house facilities?

The piece of jewellery would run to about half a day to a day per stone at around $2k per day.

Weight around 100 grams

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
So I''m the only one that thinks the actual design of the necklace is ugly? It looks like a marketing ploy, not like a piece of art. Sort of "hmmm, we''ve got this shape, and this one, and this one, and we''ll link them all together and people will be impressed", rather than something beautiful.

Mind you, I''d take it, but I would immediately have the set broken and remounted
2.gif

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/11/2008 7:01:25 PM
Author: purrfectpear
So I''m the only one that thinks the actual design of the necklace is ugly? It looks like a marketing ploy, not like a piece of art. Sort of ''hmmm, we''ve got this shape, and this one, and this one, and we''ll link them all together and people will be impressed'', rather than something beautiful.

Mind you, I''d take it, but I would immediately have the set broken and remounted
2.gif
My personal opinion:

(Some) Graff Diamonds = genuine ArtWork
Graff Jewelry = Marketing huge quantities of Diamonds..., (I even heard Graff say that once....)

In this example..., Graff is trying to accommodate a commodity hungry society..., Someone will have the opportunity to say I bought the whole polished Diamond outcome of the Lesotho Promise Diamond..., the 15th largest Diamond ever found...

Can you imagine if anyone could put up on auction today the whole polished lot/production of the Jonker or Cullinan Diamonds??
31.gif

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Diagem,

re:I imagine the planning and polishing would have been contracted out at around $400 per carat of the finished diamonds?

It could be much more less in India. ( near 50$ , Sorry , I do not remember exactly. there are different options with % from profit and without % from profit.)
It could much more costly in Atwerp . ( 400euro +%from "additional profit")

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Weight around 100 grams
With all that being known, Garry, why don''t you come and buy the next huge Lesotho-stone. I would be happy to introduce you into the tender.

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/12/2008 6:12:02 AM

Weight around 100 grams
With all that being known, Garry, why don't you come and buy the next huge Lesotho-stone. I would be happy to introduce you into the tender.
I am afraid Gem Diamonds will not sell Huge Lesotho-stones on tender in next years

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/9/2008 8:01:16 AM
Author: Deelight

Date: 8/9/2008 7:32:06 AM
Author: arjunajane

Date: 8/9/2008 7:12:50 AM

Author: Deelight

I think I just found what I want for Christmas
31.gif
31.gif

Not if santa gives it to me first!
11.gif
LOL I called dibbs first and Christmas comes to QLD before Perth
36.gif
Ha! I just saw this Dee - you're too funny.
9.gif

I'd never thought of the fact you guys will get xmas first
33.gif
- I guess you've got me beat !
1.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Weight around 100 grams
With all that being known, Garry, why don''t you come and buy the next huge Lesotho-stone. I would be happy to introduce you into the tender.
I would love to do that Paul, but my house and business would not be even close to a deposit
15.gif

And then I need to buy a Helium or Pacor scanner, MBox, and polishing equipment, learn how to use it in my spare time, and .........
Think I will stick to what I know
34.gif
and then Drena will continue to sleep well

Besides, as Sergey mentioned - it seems that Gem Diamonds might want to make the 300% margin themselves 9even though we all doubt Graff will achieve the ticket price
22.gif
)

Here is the story about the new verticle integrated player
http://www.diamonds.net/news/NewsItem.aspx?ArticleID=22497

"RAPAPORT... Gem Diamonds is setting up two diamond manufacturing facilities and is planning to start polishing stones from January 2009.

Company CEO Clifford Elphick told Mining Weekly that Gem is currently negotiating the purchase of state of the art equipment to install in two cutting plants in Mauritius and Dubai. These two centers have attractive tax incentives, and in the case of Mauritius, cutting and polishing skills are available, he said.

The move comes as Gem seeks to extend the value of its diamonds along the pipeline. The company started holding polished diamond tenders in January as a means to gage “the true value” of its rough. The stones sold in those tenders were outsourced for polishing in Antwerp and sold there. " .......................................... continued at the link

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/13/2008 2:45:48 AM

Weight around 100 grams

I would love to do that Paul, but my house and business would not be even close to a deposit
15.gif

And then I need to buy a Helium or Pacor scanner, MBox, and polishing equipment, learn how to use it in my spare time, and .........
Think I will stick to what I know
34.gif
and then Drena will continue to sleep well

Besides, as Sergey mentioned - it seems that Gem Diamonds might want to make the 300% margin themselves 9even though we all doubt Graff will achieve the ticket price
22.gif
)

Here is the story about the new verticle integrated player
http://www.diamonds.net/news/NewsItem.aspx?ArticleID=22497

''RAPAPORT... Gem Diamonds is setting up two diamond manufacturing facilities and is planning to start polishing stones from January 2009.

Company CEO Clifford Elphick told Mining Weekly that Gem is currently negotiating the purchase of state of the art equipment to install in two cutting plants in Mauritius and Dubai. These two centers have attractive tax incentives, and in the case of Mauritius, cutting and polishing skills are available, he said.

The move comes as Gem seeks to extend the value of its diamonds along the pipeline. The company started holding polished diamond tenders in January as a means to gage “the true value” of its rough. The stones sold in those tenders were outsourced for polishing in Antwerp and sold there. '' .......................................... continued at the link
I rather think that at $220,000 per carat it might be a good long term investment...
27.gif

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
re:These two centers have attractive tax incentives, and in the case of Mauritius, cutting and polishing skills are available, he said.

BTW.
Do you anybody know about availability cutting skills on Mauritius? Who has factory on Mauritius?

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/13/2008 4:26:41 AM
Author: Serg
re:These two centers have attractive tax incentives, and in the case of Mauritius, cutting and polishing skills are available, he said.

BTW.
Do you anybody know about availability cutting skills on Mauritius? Who has factory on Mauritius?
I know.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/13/2008 5:24:48 AM

Date: 8/13/2008 4:26:41 AM
Author: Serg

BTW.
I know.
You know what Paul?

Sergey I know that the company that developed the hearts and arrows regent and another variant - Cary Horowitz is one partner - the other guy is a very cultured gentleman with an interesting French name - they run a high end factory factory in Mauritius. I imagine it to be a paradise like Sri Lanka, with very pleasant locals. Rosy Blue has a factory in Sri Lanaka and they trained women to polish H&A''s and precision cuts.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I know the answer to Sergey''s question, Garry. Who owns factories in Mauritius? But it is not an answer of any value on this consumer-forum. Therefore, i say ''I know'' so that Sergey can ask this in private, if he wants.

Since you know that I have visited 90% of the diamond-cutting-factories outside of Russia and India, it should not surprise you that I know the answer to this question.

Live long,

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Garry,
Thank you,
this information is helpfull for me even if I am not consumer

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
http://www.diamonds.net/news/NewsItem.aspx?ArticleID=23073
This story explains something interesting:

"As a result, the company confirmed on Friday that it has formalized its beneficiation policy and was in the process of setting up a diamond cutting and polishing facility in Dubai, which is expected to start operating at the beginning of 2009. Gem Diamonds has partnered with Antwerp-based Matrix Diamond Technology, buying its intellectual property and recruiting its executive team, to oversee its beneficiation strategy."

http://www.matrixdiamondtechnology.com/ one of the founders and partners of this company has involved with the original development of the Pacor scanner which was used (by a different company) to produce the image of the rough Lesotho Promise diamond with the plans for that is shown on the first page of this thread.

As a mining company, you might feel a little envious when you sell something for $12mill and someone else seems to be more than tripling the price.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results