shape
carat
color
clarity

Graff & Harry Winston - Paying for name

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bluepetal

Rough_Rock
Are you only paying for the name?? What is the difference between these stores and online stores or a reputable store on 47th street? Are the stones cut differently? Why are they 30% more than all the other stores?

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Yes, you are ONLY paying for the name.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No... not just the name.

The same product can be found elsewhere, but it takes time and work. For anyone there is some extra cost to provide only fine goods - since diamonds do not come off the ground specially shaped to produce ideal cut brilliants, there is some cost involved in selecting just the fine stuff - as a top brand does. After all, why would anyone else accept the leftovers ? And no, this selection cost is not insignificant at all.
34.gif

I like to explain (to my students) this premium as some price for hassle - if you do want the best, fast, for sure and with no trouble, Cartier is there to provide.

And then, if some intricate craftsmanship is in order, it may take a long, long search to find nearly as fine as Schlumberger and Seaman Schepps and Buccellati for a bargain.

Hope this answers the Q a bit.

Surely one of the sellers posting here could give a more colorful account :)

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Well, I was just looking at the GIA cert on Estella''s ring from Bob (yes, I have no life) from Harry Winston and all I have to say is that is FAR from ideal. I don''t think the name automatically gives you an ideal cut stone.
41.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/1/2004 5:29:54 PM
Author: moremoremore
I don't think the name automatically gives you an ideal cut stone.

True. These guys (HW, Tiffany, maybe the rest ?) do not abide by diamond metrics - the great names are just the most famous and diligent "dinosaurs" as Garry calls the lot. No diamonds by the numbers at Cartier either, as far as I know.

Can you imagine Harry Winston endorsing AGS by using their concept of cut quality
32.gif
End of the world m'am
31.gif

Fine melee is all engineered (cut by numbers) these days, so it may well be that the consistently ideal cut diamonds at Tiffany's are the five pointers! Probably not entirely true, but funny, no ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results