shape
carat
color
clarity

Gradual Self Tanners?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
I''m getting married in July and would like to have some sort of natural looking tan for the wedding. However, because I work I just don''t forsee a lot of free time out in the sun and I am pretty much against going to a tanning salon.

Does anyone have a fabulous self tanner to recommend? My mom uses them sometimes, but I feel they leave her a little orange/uneven, especially around the elbows and ankles...

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
if you are looking for a gradual one, i recommend jergen's natural glow. i am use the darkest one and really LOVE it. if i have somewhere to go, i put it on at night a couple of days prior. i don't find it stinks as much as others do. i also find that this one doesn't get flaky & peely & nasty as it is coming off. i don't even notice it coming off at all.

eta: by coming off, i don't mean on your clothing or whatever the first day. i am talking about several days down the road.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
I''m currently using Neutrogena Build-a-tan. I''m not sure if it''s still available, since I bought this bottle a year ago. I''m REALLY pale, except when I burn, and I''ve got a bit of a farmer''s tan on my arms so I''m trying to match my shoulders with the rest of my arms. I''ve been applying it for about a week, and have only just begun to notice the tint. I use a fairly small amount and I am really careful to blend it well with the darker areas of my skin. It looks pretty natural and hasn''t turned orange-y so far, so I''m happy about that. I haven''t used it on my elbows or knees, so I''m not sure how it would react there. The smell is pretty strong, and took some getting used to, but it''s OK now. I''d recommend it.

sparkly_stars

Brilliant_Rock
I am also using the jergen''s natural glow.. i LOVE it. I am using the medium skin tone though, but it works fantastic.
Within a few days everyone started noticing.. hehe, and not in the orange-y way that you''d assume they would! hehe.
I just use it as a moisturizer..
my only concern with ANY tanner, is make sure u get it all over your face.. and neck !
otherwise, it works great!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
i also use Coppertone Endless Summer (the dual chamber one). i use this when i go to a formal event such as a wedding or such and i want a big differnce.
when i use this one i use rubber gloves (like the ones for washing dishes) to avoid yucking tanned hands. when i use the jergens i don''t use gloves, but it can''t hurt. i start at my feet and work my way up when applying. the last thing i cover is my torso- i don''t want bending down stripes accross my tummy. when i am done, i take the gloves off and but a dab on the back of each hand and blend really well but not using my inside hands to do so.

i am sure you know how to apply, but i thought i''d share anyway
28.gif

miyabi_na

Rough_Rock
I agree with Jcrow! I love the Jergen''s natural glow...I use the medium one and in less than a week I had color (I wanted to have some color during the spring when I started to break out my skirts....I still use it even though I get sun now!)...

I never get uneven color and it''s not orangey looking AT ALL. There is also a face lotion to match which I like because I didn''t want to have a pasty face and tanned skin....and I didn''t want to put possibly-oily body lotion on my face.

Just make sure to let it fully dry onto your skin like it says in the directions- you don''t want to turn any of your lighter undergarments tan! (but even if you do, it washes out in the laundry).

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also have the Jergen''s natural glow. I think I have the medium. I also have a similar product from Coppertone but I prefer the Jergen''s.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/1/2006 3:44:18 PM
Author: FireGoddess
I also have the Jergen''s natural glow. I think I have the medium. I also have a similar product from Coppertone but I prefer the Jergen''s.

as do i.
i started out using the med. natural glow but switched to the dark because i found it was a quicker way to get the results i wanted- much less applications of the dark compared to the med. color.

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Another vote for the Jergen''s. I''m really pale and find it to be very natural looking. It was also a lifesaver the week of my weddding... I got sunburn with a tank top on and used the lotion to even out the color (my dress was strapless). You couldnt tell!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Jergen''s is great. My daughter told me about it and I was a little hesitant because I had found in the past that if you used a self tanner from one of the pricier cosmetic counters that the results were much better. I hate the orange look. But I tried the Jergen''s and really liked it. I use the medium too and sometimes use it two or three days in a row to get the right shade. It fades but doesn''t look blotchy or anything as it fades. I used something - Coppertone or something like that last year in a pinch - and the orange was so overwhelming. I was in the shower with Clorox bleach and a scrubbing pad to try to scrub it off my skin! Ouch - it was too bad to leave the house!

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Just a quick tip in the event of too much "orange" buildup...nail polish remover works wonders! Also, please make sure to do some trial runs before hand. Some of the self tanners may come off on clothes if it is hot and humid and you happen to perspire.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Another vote for the Jergens. I use the Fair and apply it every day. It is a nice moisturizer too.

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
do all you jergens fans also recommend the tanning facial lotion? though i suspect my face will just inevitably get more color...

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
i just use the regular stuff if i tan my face at all. i can get away without applying it to my face because i have two sets of foundation colors. one normal skin, one tanned. so if i use the "tan" foundation i still match!

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
I like the jergans for the color but I hate the way they all smell. You can smell the self tanner in all of them and it bugs me all day long. If you can put up with it, Jergans works really well.

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
MAC also makes a great bronzer for your face if you dont want to use the jergans on your face.

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/1/2006 8:47:13 PM
Author: *~Sweetpea~*
I like the jergans for the color but I hate the way they all smell. You can smell the self tanner in all of them and it bugs me all day long. If you can put up with it, Jergans works really well.
Me too! I did the mystic tan once, and the smell made me sick for days! That said, the Jergens does seem to be the best...but because of the smell, I only put it on my legs!

Sunnygal

Rough_Rock
I like the jergens self tanner but it does have that ''icky'' smell. The other self tanner that I have used with good results is California North Titanium self tanner, this product has a great smell!!

hfollett

Rough_Rock
I use Lancome''s Flash Bronzer Instant Colour Self-Tanning Leg Gel with Pure Vitamin E. It''s got a fun little shimmer to it. Perfect color.

Like others, I''ve beens scared to try the less expensive brands, but now I''m going to give Jergens a try!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does the Jergens go on "clear" or can you see it? That''s been my problem in the past; with the ones that don''t have color in the location I can''t see if I''ve gotten even coverage and then, hours later when it''s "activated," I find out I''ve missed a spot or put it on streaky.

njc

Brilliant_Rock
It doesnt have a color, but its impossible to streak. You really need to use it for a couple days straight to get the kind of coverage from one application of regular tanning lotion because there is just a hint of whatever it is that makes you tan. So, if you miss a spot today, you''ll get it tomorrow, no big deal. Jergens is not a quick fix for needing a tan... you need to start on Monday for a nice tan by the weekend.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2006 9:43:51 AM
Author: njc
Jergens is not a quick fix for needing a tan... you need to start on Monday for a nice tan by the weekend.

this is why i use a shade darker than it says i should. cuts down on the amount and time you have to use it.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/1/2006 8:47:13 PM
Author: *~Sweetpea~*

i put it on at night so that i don''t have to deal much with the smell. in the morning i shower as usual.

KittenKat

Shiny_Rock
I also wanted to vote for Jergens. I''ve been using ''dark'' since I have olive skin. It''s been working great for me. It doesn''t streak for me at all, and that was my biggest fear. Plus, its such a nice, warm color.

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Just thought I''d mention another vote for Jergen''s Natural Glow. I use it in the darkest shade as well. When I left to the Caribbean back in February, I had gone to the tanning salon about 6 times to get a little color so I wouldn''t burn. That done, I went on my trip to St. Lucia, got a lot of time in the sun and did not burn...but I also took along my Jergen''s Natural Glow and used it daily. It does moisturize really well and kept my skin nice, tanned, moist and supple.

I got alot of compliments from folks about my tan at my son''s wedding this past Monday, the 29th of May, but it wasn''t cuz I slipped away to the tanning salon...it was because I have stayed using the Jergen''s. At first, the smell was really noticable, but not now. I use the tiniest bit of the facial moisturizer of Jergen''s, about half of a dime in size and spread it all over my face, especially the forehead, cheeks, bridge of nose and chin to keep me evenly tanned.

Best choice for the money...

NewShiny

Shiny_Rock
JCrow,
Thanks for pointing me toward the already exisiting thread. I didn''t even think to do a search on self tanners, though of course I should have. Sounds like there is a trade off between looking good and smelling bad! BTW, the smell is better with the Aveeno product with the same results as Jergens, so I think I''ll stick to what I''ve been using.

Thanks again!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have just bought Clinique''s self tan bronzer and it is marvellous, doesn''t stink and you can see where you put it. You get some tan immediately then it develops over a few hours and looks really natural. 10 out of 10 for that one.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
NewShiny- no problem! do you find the color as nice with the aveeno product? i may need to try it out!

Lorelei- how's the rub off factor with the clinique? would you recommend it with a white bridal gown?

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
I love the Banana Boat self-tanner in fair/medium. I get comments on my tan all the time and people are always surprised when I own up (and I just HAVE to own up . . . I''m the same way with cz''s
17.gif
). It''s super affordable, too--about $6! It does have the smell, but if you put it on at night, give it 15 minutes or so to dry before you get in bed, and shower in the am you shouldn''t be bothered too much by it. Oh, and moisturize elbows, knees and hands before you start, then wash your hands immediately. I''ve never used gloves and never had a problem with orange hands.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JCrow, so far I have worn the Clinique since Saturday with 2 applications. It takes about 20 mins to dry before you can dress, but these are the results.

My white sheets and towels have stayed clean with no staining. Nothing on clothes and the tan has stayed even on my legs and arms. Also no orange palm factor after I apply, I just wash my palms in a bit of whitening toothpaste as usual and they are fine.

Best fake tan I have used - well done Clinique
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

I think applying this tan the day before the wedding Jcrow your dress will be fine, this is good stuff and I will definitely repurchase.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results