shape
carat
color
clarity

Gotta wear a corset for a month

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I have horrible posture when I sit, usually 11 hours a day at work. Over the past 2 years, I''ve noticed increasing pain in my hips, back, and neck, so I started seeing a Chiropractor. Well, I got yelled at today because he''s sick and tired of adjusting me every other week. He said i have problems because i''m slouching in my seat, so my spine actually started curving towards the right because I use the mouse with my right hand, so my shoulder leans forward and my rib cage is all twisted. Either way, I''m all screwed up.

So today, he recommended that I buy a corset, and wear it for a month.

This friggin thing hurts!!! I have to sit perfectly straight, or else I can''t breathe, and the wires (boning?) dig into my hips if i even relax my posture a bit. Guess it''s a good sign that it''s working?

Either way, I just wanted to whine.
7.gif
I dunno how women back in the day used to wear these horrendus things. it''s going to be a horrible 30 days. *sigh*

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Oh I''m so sorry Forte! That sounds very uncomfortable. Please be careful wearing that corset. I wore one with a dress once and the boning came through the lining and punctured me... like there was a hole, haha. So if you feel any discomfort definitely check, but since this is a medical corset you probably won''t have that issue. It''s just the immediate thing I thought of. As for your question about how women used to wear those all the time... did you know it actually physically changed their body type? Wearing it for years and years would space out and push their ribs down to create a natural "boning". Yea. Pretty stuff. But this won''t happen to you, thank goodness. Is your doctor going to do some therapy with you so that you can teach yourself to sit and stand properly? I learned this through yoga because I had chronic lower back problems. I have trained myself now to sit differently and my back issues have stopped pretty much completely, so therapy would definitely be something you want to look into. Best of luck... and I hope I didn''t scare you or anything. Corsets are kind of weird, aren''t they (both wearing them and the fashion of them).

*M*

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh gosh, I completely hear you. I have the same problems and I go to a chiroprator. Let me know if it works. What helps me with hip pain is running up a steep hill. I walk down and then run up and do it over and over. I think it helps strengthen the back musles.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yikes, that sounds painful FK. But if it does the trick, it will be worth the discomfort in the long run. I know a bit about the discomfort, I have 3 herniated disks in my neck and often have to wear a neck brace at night. It's sure isn't comfy, but it does help me. Remember the phrase, no pain no gain. Hang in there!! Hopefully the 30 days will go quickly!!!
2.gif

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the support! i took it off after 4 hours... couldn''t take it anymore. I''ll put it back on tomorrow morning when I work.

Even tho it''s only on a little while, my back feels a lot straighter, and my waist even seems slimmer!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2007 10:23:09 PM
Author: Skippy123
oh gosh, I completely hear you. I have the same problems and I go to a chiroprator. Let me know if it works. What helps me with hip pain is running up a steep hill. I walk down and then run up and do it over and over. I think it helps strengthen the back musles.

Our building is 12 stories, so I usually climb the stairs during my breaks. However, the pain is even worse afterwards, and my chiropractor said it''s because my hip/lower back is already crooked, so the impact only worsens the problems. This corset is supposed to help, so we shall see if it hurts after my breaks tomorrow!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2007 10:15:46 PM
Author: poptart
Is your doctor going to do some therapy with you so that you can teach yourself to sit and stand properly? I learned this through yoga because I had chronic lower back problems. I have trained myself now to sit differently and my back issues have stopped pretty much completely, so therapy would definitely be something you want to look into. Best of luck... and I hope I didn''t scare you or anything. Corsets are kind of weird, aren''t they (both wearing them and the fashion of them).

*M*

I have been taught... but i was just too lazy to follow instructions and actively adjust my posture. I will definitely try now.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/18/2007 11:55:45 PM
Author: ForteKitty

Is your doctor going to do some therapy with you so that you can teach yourself to sit and stand properly? I learned this through yoga because I had chronic lower back problems. I have trained myself now to sit differently and my back issues have stopped pretty much completely, so therapy would definitely be something you want to look into. Best of luck... and I hope I didn''t scare you or anything. Corsets are kind of weird, aren''t they (both wearing them and the fashion of them).

*M*

I have been taught... but i was just too lazy to follow instructions and actively adjust my posture. I will definitely try now.
Try some yoga. That will definitely teach (also read as force) you to have good posture. Yes, remember, I am the resident yoga freak, haha. I''m sorry to read that your hips and back are so out of alignment that it hurts to go up and down the stairs. I really do hope that corset helps.

*M*

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/19/2007 12:02:45 AM

Date: 3/18/2007 11:55:45 PM
Author: ForteKitty

*M*

Try some yoga. That will definitely teach (also read as force) you to have good posture. Yes, remember, I am the resident yoga freak, haha. I''m sorry to read that your hips and back are so out of alignment that it hurts to go up and down the stairs. I really do hope that corset helps.

*M*
pilates is reallly good for posture too!

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
a famous story is about two twins who both developed scoliosis. they had twin beds with a light and table in between. they developed curvature of the spine towards the light. the doctor made them switch beds.

try using the mouse with your left hand?

new york city ballet workout dvd is good for posture.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Oh I''m so sorry Forte! That sounds very uncomfortable. Please be careful wearing that corset. I wore one with a dress once and the boning came through the lining and punctured me... like there was a hole, haha. So if you feel any discomfort definitely check, but since this is a medical corset you probably won''t have that issue. It''s just the immediate thing I thought of. As for your question about how women used to wear those all the time... did you know it actually physically changed their body type? Wearing it for years and years would space out and push their ribs down to create a natural ''boning''. Yea. Pretty stuff. But this won''t happen to you, thank goodness. Is your doctor going to do some therapy with you so that you can teach yourself to sit and stand properly? I learned this through yoga because I had chronic lower back problems. I have trained myself now to sit differently and my back issues have stopped pretty much completely, so therapy would definitely be something you want to look into. Best of luck... and I hope I didn''t scare you or anything. Corsets are kind of weird, aren''t they (both wearing them and the fashion of them).

*M*
ha ha we call that popping a boner. make sure the corset fits. victorian idea of pain should not be the issue here. a tubular 17th century corset is what to strive for. did the chiropractor provide the corset?

you will develop different muscles wearing a corset.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/19/2007 6:50:00 AM
Author: ladykemma

Oh I''m so sorry Forte! That sounds very uncomfortable. Please be careful wearing that corset. I wore one with a dress once and the boning came through the lining and punctured me... like there was a hole, haha. So if you feel any discomfort definitely check, but since this is a medical corset you probably won''t have that issue. It''s just the immediate thing I thought of. As for your question about how women used to wear those all the time... did you know it actually physically changed their body type? Wearing it for years and years would space out and push their ribs down to create a natural ''boning''. Yea. Pretty stuff. But this won''t happen to you, thank goodness. Is your doctor going to do some therapy with you so that you can teach yourself to sit and stand properly? I learned this through yoga because I had chronic lower back problems. I have trained myself now to sit differently and my back issues have stopped pretty much completely, so therapy would definitely be something you want to look into. Best of luck... and I hope I didn''t scare you or anything. Corsets are kind of weird, aren''t they (both wearing them and the fashion of them).

*M*
ha ha we call that popping a boner. make sure the corset fits. victorian idea of pain should not be the issue here. a tubular 17th century corset is what to strive for. did the chiropractor provide the corset?

you will develop different muscles wearing a corset.
Haha, no it wasn''t a medical corset. It was on a dress I wore to a dance, but it was the only one I''ve ever worn, so the first thing I thought of. The thing fit fine, it''s just that the lining of it wasn''t as thick as it should have been, so as the night went on one little end of boning came through the lining.

*M*

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Fortekitty:

A few things to try:

hatha yoga (I''m a yoga instructor, and I tell you, yoga keeps my back from hurting)

sitting on an exercise ball at your desk. Get a big one, and inflate it enough, and sit on it. We did that in my office, it makes you sit up straighter and slouch less, and its COMFORTABLE. Start with 20 minutes or whatever you can comfortably handle, and then add more time as you go.

HTH

Jeannine

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all the advice! I plan to start taking yoga class as soon as this work rush is over, so in a month or so.

This corset is kicking my butt! it''s keeping my posture perfect, amazingly. It''s just a store bought one, not a medical one. He said it wasn''t necessary because I really only need it as a reminder to keep my posture proper, and it''s doing a great job. If i even start to slouch, the boning pokes me and i stop slouching!

1 day down, 29 more to go...

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Do you know you can buy a ball specially made so you learn how to sit properly and train yourself how to do that on your own.I would definitely try to change it on my own if possible.Its a ball but the bottom is flat so it stays on the floor and you have to sit properly.You can alternate between the ball and whatever your chiropractor recommended.Perhaps after few months you won''t need any more visits.Stretch between and walk a bit don''t seat for more than 1 hour just take little breaks.Good luck to you..

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You might want to try one of the office chairs that you sot of kneel on rather than sit in. You lean forward instead of slouching. It can do wonders for back pain and strains. Its worth a try. I bet someone on ebay is selling one.... Everything known to man is sold there except for more time off work!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I fell off one of those kneeling chairs before. Almost dented my forehead. Not fun.

But I did get an ergonomic evaluation, which I thought was utterly useless, because she didn''t tell me anything I didn''t already know. Everything''s fine in my office... except my posture.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results