shape
carat
color
clarity

Got this adorable little antique collet clasp!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
It is super cute! It would look great with pearls.

CMN

Brilliant_Rock
What are the approximate dimensions of the collet?

thistlespell

Rough_Rock
What are the approximate dimensions of the collet?

The collet not including the rest of the clasp is only about 6mm. And 10mm from one end to the other. I think pearls that small might be too small.

Edit: Perhaps a graduated pearl necklace would be best?

Last edited:

CMN

Brilliant_Rock
The collet not including the rest of the clasp is only about 6mm. And 10mm from one end to the other. I think pearls that small might be too small.

Edit: Perhaps a graduated pearl necklace would be best?

Agree - I wouldn’t go to small. I Like the idea of at least trying how wearing a strand sitting asymmetrically would look With the clasp at the front. They do this for larger “feature” clasps so would be interested to see if something smaller would also work. Ie you wear the strand with the clasp near your collarbone at the front versus the traditional clasp at the back. You can actually wear it both ways but not if you do graduated pearls. (I mean you technically could but I think it would look off).

thistlespell

Rough_Rock
Agree - I wouldn’t go to small. I Like the idea of at least trying how wearing a strand sitting asymmetrically would look With the clasp at the front. They do this for larger “feature” clasps so would be interested to see if something smaller would also work. Ie you wear the strand with the clasp near your collarbone at the front versus the traditional clasp at the back. You can actually wear it both ways but not if you do graduated pearls. (I mean you technically could but I think it would look off).

Couldn’t agree more on all of your points! I think feature claps look the best on pearl necklaces. I really love the work of OceansCove, with the large statement clasps worn asymmetrically. I also love your idea of wearing it in the front versus the back because I wouldn’t want it just to be at the back of my neck.

Eclectic

Rough_Rock
This is so pretty! If you look up antique graduated natural pearls you will see the dainty type of strand that this might have originally come from. I would love to see pics of the back of the clasp. I wish I could find one like this!

thistlespell

Rough_Rock
This is so pretty! If you look up antique graduated natural pearls you will see the dainty type of strand that this might have originally come from. I would love to see pics of the back of the clasp. I wish I could find one like this!

I know there’s a very similar (slightly bigger) one on Ruby Lane right now, but it’s priced about 8x higher than what I paid for mine. I got really lucky with a competitive and narrow eBay bid! https://www.rubylane.com/item/1275970-ER-1020/Antique-Victorian-Silver-Paste-Clasp

Eclectic

Rough_Rock

thistlespell

Rough_Rock
Update! I got these tiny baroque fw pearls because I love baroque shape the most! :bigsmile:
I probably could have gone with even smaller pearls but I couldn’t find any that weren’t potato shape. When I’m done stringing I’ll show the end result!
IMG_4380.jpeg

Eclectic

Rough_Rock
Oh I would have found you an old strand that would have worked. I might even still look for you if I get the chance. Either way, I love this clasp!

thistlespell

Rough_Rock
Oh I would have found you an old strand that would have worked. I might even still look for you if I get the chance. Either way, I love this clasp!

I looked for Georgian/victorian seed pearl strands, but I couldn’t find any that weren’t crazy expensive and already on a period clasp. Maybe I could just go with modern seed pearls, so that the clasp is still the main focus.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results