shape
carat
color
clarity

Got the stone -- now some questions STRM pls look!!! (lower girdle %/star ?s)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

about2begin

Shiny_Rock
Hi gang. I have the stone now. To refresh it is a 2.05 ct RB, si2, H color (GIA ex) -- the stone is indeed totally eyeclean (score!)

My issue now is this: I am trying to evaluate the performance of this stone but it is difficult without a comparator. The stone is obviously super bright. Very white, and it reeeally lights up in a diffused lighting situation (my office with the blind down a bit). The stone appears to be a bit lacking in terms of fire though. It has some nice white scintillation but I don''t see the firey reds etc. What lighting should I use to check this out?

Also, can someone look at my GIA and tell me if there''s a reason that fire may be lacking based on the lower girdle and star % and maybe the girlde itself?

Also, the arrows are really visible on this stone. Is that normal? They look nice but when the stone gets super close to my face it looks like there is darkness on the table (only in some lights).

I''d really appreciate it. The HCA gave it EX for everything except spread.

THANKS! I will try to post pics but my GF has a digital camera and I don''t -- I''m trying to be a bit stealth here, ya know

GIA2105556819_zoom.jpeg

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Spot lighting to look for fire.

about2begin

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/18/2009 2:50:09 PM
Author: Stone-cold11
Spot lighting to look for fire.

Thanks -- I know that spotlighting shows fire but --dumb question coming-- what is sportlighting and where can I view it? Is it around the house anywhere? I see the videos online in a diamonddock but I don''t have one of those (maybe it''s in my cabinets somewhere)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/18/2009 2:55:48 PM
Author: about2begin

Thanks -- I know that spotlighting shows fire but --dumb question coming-- what is sportlighting and where can I view it? Is it around the house anywhere? I see the videos online in a diamonddock but I don't have one of those (maybe it's in my cabinets somewhere)
Take it outside and view it in sunlight, not direct sun as this can make the diamond look dark, try for the afternoon and view the diamond with the sun behind or to the side of you, this should get the fire going. Also try under a tree with the sun shining through the leaves, that is one of my favourite ways to observe fire. The arrows will also look darker at close scrutiny, this is normal. The stars and LGF's are fine, no worries there.

You have a beautifully cut diamond there and it should be an excellent performer. Try the above to look for fire, also if you are looking at it in office lighting this can also make the diamond look meh - that type of lighting isn't flattering to diamonds! A diamond can only work with the lighting it has available, so give it a good test drive in as many different lights as you can to see what it can do!

Hope this helps!
35.gif

John NC

Rough_Rock
Hi there- I''m looking too and in fact have 2 stones coming tomorrow- YIKES!
Your stats look awesome on paper, the pairing of the crown and pavillion angles etc (from what I''ve read)...
I''m watching your thread for pointers on what to look for when I get mine, I''m taking them to an appraiser to review them with me, gonna cost me a bit but otherwise I''m a beginner so a bit nervous.

Here are the 2 I have coming, if you wanted to take a peek-
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/any-opinions-on-these-two-2-carat-round-stones-ags-000-gia-ex-vg-ex.110234/

Good luck!
John

about2begin

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/18/2009 5:03:27 PM
Author: John NC
Hi there- I''m looking too and in fact have 2 stones coming tomorrow- YIKES!

Your stats look awesome on paper, the pairing of the crown and pavillion angles etc (from what I''ve read)...

I''m watching your thread for pointers on what to look for when I get mine, I''m taking them to an appraiser to review them with me, gonna cost me a bit but otherwise I''m a beginner so a bit nervous.

Here are the 2 I have coming, if you wanted to take a peek-

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/any-opinions-on-these-two-2-carat-round-stones-ags-000-gia-ex-vg-ex.110234/

Good luck!

John

I like the look of stone 1 although I am afraid of flor a bit -- I know it would be really rare, but I wouldn''t want the stone to glow blue at a restaurant with weird lighting (highly unlikely). Good luck with them being eye-clean; I''m really happy about mine (I would only accept 100% eye clarity from all distances/angles)

I have been looking at mine all day and as time goes on, I''m loving it. It has great scintillation and brightness -- I didn''t realize that I''m not in a real fire-breeding environment. I''ll check it out in one when I get home to my halogen lit elevator (well, my building''s elevator).

It''s so tough when you have no comparator so I''m going to use my buddy''s e-ring that he purchased a few months ago (HCA 1, same size/color, looks great in person)

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
stars are fine.
The GIA rounding makes the lgf% information useless.
Overall it sounds fine and it does tend towards the bright side vs the fiery side but should have plenty of fire in the right lighting.

At what distance does it go dark?

"I''ll check it out in one when I get home to my halogen lit elevator"
That will work :}
Report back on small or large flashes of fire in the elevator.

about2begin

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/18/2009 7:14:50 PM
Author: strmrdr
stars are fine.

The GIA rounding makes the lgf% information useless.

Overall it sounds fine and it does tend towards the bright side vs the fiery side but should have plenty of fire in the right lighting.

At what distance does it go dark?

''I''ll check it out in one when I get home to my halogen lit elevator''

That will work :}

Report back on small or large flashes of fire in the elevator.

Thanks so much for the reply.

I took it in the elevator and it really looked great. I''d say they were meadium flashes (maybe even big) -- I wouldn''t say that they were small but I had nothing to use as a comparator.

The stone looks dark in the table only under certain lighting (office flor) when it is held at ~12-16" away and then when it is really close. It looks like all the arrows, which are visible in the right distance and almost always in good lighting, sort of blend together.

I''ve done some reading that suggests office lights do nothing for a stone and when I held the stone in the shadows of my sun-filled office it was really bright/scintillating.

I was thinking that fire would be evident in all lighting situations and was disappointed to not see it. I guess my concern now is over the dark spot, but like I said, it is rarely visible and it only happens in poor light.

Any other thoughts?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
arrow shafts darker than the arrow heads when it looks dark?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
In any diamond fire will only be visible in some lighting scintillation will be visible in any lighting as the diamond is moved but will be moving contrast rather than fire in some lighting. moving contrast == play of light over the diamond surface as it moves.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
a2b,

Remember diamonds can only work with the lighting they have available as mentioned above, a diamond can look very different according to the lighting it has to reflect and work with. In some lights a well cut diamond may just look brilliant and flashy with little to no fire, in others it can go into ' rest mode' - still look attractive but not do much. In others you will see the fire come to life, sometimes in direct sunlight a diamond can look incredibly fiery and or brilliant to looking dark in strong direct sunlight. All this is the normal behaviour of a well cut diamond which you have.

If you are unsure, if you have a Jareds or Hearts on Fire dealer near you, ask to see some of Jareds AGS0 cut grade diamonds or some HoF, see if you can check them out away from the store lights and you will have a good comparison. Alternatively, get an independant appraisal from an appraiser who knows how to evaluate cut quality, this could be very helpful.

Appraiser listing - https://www.pricescope.com/appr_list.aspx

about2begin

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/19/2009 9:58:35 AM

No, I wouldn''t say that. However, the arrow heads are less easily visible sometimes b/c of the brightness that comes off the faceted portion around the table. When they are both visible, they look uniformed in terms of darkness.

It is just when I bring it to certain distances the arrow shafts seem to sort of blend together. It happens rarely and if I close 1 eye the effect is decreased.

L -- thanks so much. You''ve been such a help with every question I''ve posted. I guess I expected this stone to just emit a rainbow and white all at the same time -- unreasonable, apparently, ha. The more I look at it, the more impressed I am. I am going to bring to to Dave Atlas next week and will let you know how that goes (hopefully, I''ll have some images to post too)

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/19/2009 10:11:34 AM

No, I wouldn''t say that. However, the arrow heads are less easily visible sometimes b/c of the brightness that comes off the faceted portion around the table. When they are both visible, they look uniformed in terms of darkness.

It is just when I bring it to certain distances the arrow shafts seem to sort of blend together. It happens rarely and if I close 1 eye the effect is decreased.

sounds perfectly normal to me.
Dave can give you the scoop it will be interesting to hear what he has to say.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/19/2009 10:11:34 AM

No, I wouldn't say that. However, the arrow heads are less easily visible sometimes b/c of the brightness that comes off the faceted portion around the table. When they are both visible, they look uniformed in terms of darkness.

L -- thanks so much. You've been such a help with every question I've posted. I guess I expected this stone to just emit a rainbow and white all at the same time -- unreasonable, apparently, ha. The more I look at it, the more impressed I am. I am going to bring to to Dave Atlas next week and will let you know how that goes (hopefully, I'll have some images to post too)
Most welcome and please keep us posted on how you get on, as Stormy says Dave will give you the straight scoop! It can be a bit of a surprise sometimes when you get a diamond and it isn't shooting off fireworks all the time, especially to hear us discuss various nuances of performance here
3.gif
- but rest assured you do have a well cut diamond and I am sure once you get to know it you will be delighted!

DKinLA

Rough_Rock
I have been following your post closely since I will soon be evaluating a stone with similar proportions (T=56%, D=61.9%, ca=34.5%, pa=40.6%). I too was worried about the "brightness" of the stone and the shallow pa. (HCA =.8 and right on the boarder of the AGS/GIA zenith) I can harldy wait to see what Dave says and to receive mine for review. It really sounds promising though and I trust our vendor.

Good Luck.

about2begin

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/19/2009 4:06:03 PM
Author: DKinLA
I have been following your post closely since I will soon be evaluating a stone with similar proportions (T=56%, D=61.9%, ca=34.5%, pa=40.6%). I too was worried about the ''brightness'' of the stone and the shallow pa. (HCA =.8 and right on the boarder of the AGS/GIA zenith) I can harldy wait to see what Dave says and to receive mine for review. It really sounds promising though and I trust our vendor.

Good Luck.

Strm: I was wrong about what I typed yesterday -- the dark spot is visible when the stone is ~5-8" away and it goes away when I close 1 eye. I feel like it has more to do with my eyes crossing than the stone itself. At 12" it looks like it has very fine arrows and the tips and shaft are the same shade of dark.

DK: Good luck. The more I look at the stone, the more I really love it. Tons of fire in spotlighting. Very bright in almost any light. Tons of scintillation in shadows of sunlight rooms etc. Looks solid.

Re surface graining: I can see the graining on 1 facet by the table. It projects light less well than the others but it isn''t a dead facet and it took me 10 minutes to spot it under magnification. Overall, I''d say it has virtually no impact on the stones performance -- certainly none that anyone would see without specifically looking for it.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2009 9:53:37 AM

I have been following your post closely since I will soon be evaluating a stone with similar proportions (T=56%, D=61.9%, ca=34.5%, pa=40.6%). I too was worried about the ''brightness'' of the stone and the shallow pa. (HCA =.8 and right on the boarder of the AGS/GIA zenith) I can harldy wait to see what Dave says and to receive mine for review. It really sounds promising though and I trust our vendor.

Good Luck.

Strm: I was wrong about what I typed yesterday -- the dark spot is visible when the stone is ~5-8'' away and it goes away when I close 1 eye. I feel like it has more to do with my eyes crossing than the stone itself. At 12'' it looks like it has very fine arrows and the tips and shaft are the same shade of dark.

DK: Good luck. The more I look at the stone, the more I really love it. Tons of fire in spotlighting. Very bright in almost any light. Tons of scintillation in shadows of sunlight rooms etc. Looks solid.

Re surface graining: I can see the graining on 1 facet by the table. It projects light less well than the others but it isn''t a dead facet and it took me 10 minutes to spot it under magnification. Overall, I''d say it has virtually no impact on the stones performance -- certainly none that anyone would see without specifically looking for it.
Sounds good.
Sounds like you found a winner :}
To find surface graining look across the facet at an angle so your looking at the surface of the facet rather than into the stone.
It would be rare for it to have a performance impact.

about2begin

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/20/2009 10:23:23 AM
Date: 3/20/2009 9:53:37 AM

Good Luck.

Strm: I was wrong about what I typed yesterday -- the dark spot is visible when the stone is ~5-8'' away and it goes away when I close 1 eye. I feel like it has more to do with my eyes crossing than the stone itself. At 12'' it looks like it has very fine arrows and the tips and shaft are the same shade of dark.

Sounds good.

Sounds like you found a winner :}

To find surface graining look across the facet at an angle so your looking at the surface of the facet rather than into the stone.

It would be rare for it to have a performance impact.

That''s exactly what I did -- I tilted the stone at about 1000 different angles until I found what looked like a small hair or two on a facet. It concerned me a bit after Rhino''s post but the stone seems to return light well in all conditions.

I''ll next send an update after I meet with Mr. Atlas. Thanks again, Strm. Appreciate it a ton!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/20/2009 11:10:07 AM

I''ll next send an update after I meet with Mr. Atlas. Thanks again, Strm. Appreciate it a ton!
Don''t forget photos of the diamond too if you can please!

about2begin

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/20/2009 11:14:31 AM
Author: Lorelei
Date: 3/20/2009 11:10:07 AM

Don''t forget photos of the diamond too if you can please!

Of course. Hopefully Dave can take some good ones b/c I can''t, ha.

about2begin

Shiny_Rock
Hi guys. 1 follow up Q re the 40.6 pavilion angle:

I''ve seen a lot of people mention that the stone can appear dark up close. When I put this stone close to my face it gets a slightly dark circle in the middle of the table. It seems like the arrows blend together when my eyes cross to look at the stone that closely. If I close 1 eye, this doesn''t happen and the stone looks great. Also, from any distance the arrows look good and so does the diamond. Is the this the effect that I should be concerned about? Or, is this normal (ie yes, it''s eyes crossing to look at the stone up close).

Sorry for all the questions!

I have a 34.5/40.6 Storm said this in a thread:

Crown angle is 34.3, and pavilion angle is 40.6. thanks!
that is one id likely pass on but it might be a nice diamond,,,, it depends on whats in the 40.6 average and the optical symmetry.

a in person look would be a good idea.. check it up close if its a problem stone it will look too dark close but great from 3 feet.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/27/2009 10:56:53 AM
Hi guys. 1 follow up Q re the 40.6 pavilion angle:

I've seen a lot of people mention that the stone can appear dark up close. When I put this stone close to my face it gets a slightly dark circle in the middle of the table. It seems like the arrows blend together when my eyes cross to look at the stone that closely. If I close 1 eye, this doesn't happen and the stone looks great. Also, from any distance the arrows look good and so does the diamond. Is the this the effect that I should be concerned about? Or, is this normal (ie yes, it's eyes crossing to look at the stone up close).

Sorry for all the questions!

that is one id likely pass on but it might be a nice diamond,,,, it depends on whats in the 40.6 average and the optical symmetry.

a in person look would be a good idea.. check it up close if its a problem stone it will look too dark close but great from 3 feet.
Don't worry about that, this is normal that any diamond can darken a bit if you are looking at it that closely, some have been cautioning with a 40.6 angle but really most diamonds are fine - 40.6 is borderline and with a balanced crown angle then not often anything to worry about. Dave gave your diamonds the thumbs up and is well aware of what to look for, he is an expert and has seen your diamond and approved it, so you can rely on his advice and years of practical experience of looking at thousands of diamonds - I would relax and enjoy your diamond now!

about2begin

Shiny_Rock
Thanks -- it doesn''t happen when I cup my hands around the diamond either. It''s just weird, you know. I mean I have looked at about 8 diamonds in my life so I don''t know what''s normal in various lighting/distance situations. Basically, if the diamond isn''t scintillating or throwing fire 100% of the time I start to worry.

Today I''m worried b/c I have the box addressed to Leon Mege''s office and this is my last shot to really be sure about this stone.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/27/2009 11:01:39 AM
Thanks -- it doesn't happen when I cup my hands around the diamond either. It's just weird, you know. I mean I have looked at about 8 diamonds in my life so I don't know what's normal in various lighting/distance situations. Basically, if the diamond isn't scintillating or throwing fire 100% of the time I start to worry.

Today I'm worried b/c I have the box addressed to Leon Mege's office and this is my last shot to really be sure about this stone.
I know, it is normal to get cold feet on and off when committing to THE ONE - its normal! But do take comfort that you have had a renowned expert look at your diamond and approve it, that means a lot in my book. Also diamonds are dependant on the lighting they have to work with, they aren't shooting off fireworks all the time as some lighting isn't conducive to this, they can go into what I call ' rest mode!'

If you aren't sure, try this - if there is a Jareds near you, go and check out some of their Peerless AGS0 cut grade diamonds, or some Hearts on Fire if there is a dealer near you. That way you will be viewing diamonds of similar cut quality to yours and can see how they look purely for comparison purposes - ask if you can take a look away from the store lights if possible. That might give you some more reassurance!

But anyway you have done everything possible to evaluate this diamond, cross your T's and dot your i's so to speak, so now it is a case of taking a deep breath and taking that leap to SOLD or starting again!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock

You had the in person look by an expert it is better than fine its great.
That means the optical symmetry is good enough and the average is good.
nothing to worry about.

about2begin

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/27/2009 3:16:53 PM

You had the in person look by an expert it is better than fine its great.

That means the optical symmetry is good enough and the average is good.

nothing to worry about.

Thanks so much -- I just shipped out the box to Leon. You guys are the best!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2009 4:01:26 PM
kewl am looking forward to pics of the finished ring.

about2begin

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/27/2009 4:03:14 PM
Date: 3/27/2009 4:01:26 PM

kewl am looking forward to pics of the finished ring.

I''m guessing it will be ~4-6 weeks and then I''ll post them. Seriously, thanks again!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
your welcome

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
You have a really great diamond there-- nothing to worry about! Go take a walk outside with your diamond anytime the sun is out and watch it from all different angles, especially with the sun behind you. It''ll throw fire like crazy!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results