shape
carat
color
clarity

Got the Rock But Now What with the Appraisal?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

goldilocks

Rough_Rock
Hi! We finally picked a very nice stone (we hope) and would like to get it independently certified. We don''t know what to look for in an appraiser (what kind of certification or credentials they should have) or how the appraisal works.

Could anyone please provide some clarification? Do we stand over their shoulder while they perform the appraisal? Do we just trust them and leave our ring in their hands and come back in a few days?

What should the appraisal say (what kind of format does it have)? Will they have to remove the stone from its setting? Will they charge us for resetting it?

As you can see...we need a LOT of help!! Thanks!!

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
We don't know what to look for in an appraiser (what kind of
certification or credentials they should have).
-----------

The list of appraisers you'll find at the top of your screen provides a good selection to choose from. Most of them are well known and credible appraisers. If you go with a local appraiser, look for an experienced Graduate Gemologist who is respected by the local jewelry community for their skill and integrity.

-----------
Do we stand over their shoulder while they perform the appraisal? Do
we just trust them and leave our ring in their hands and come back in
a few days?
-----------

This is always a ticklish situation with consumers who don't know the appraiser they're dealing with, and one of the reasons I like to do as many appraisals as I can on a while-you-wait basis. It eases all the consumers fears.

This is not always possible though, and that's where personal recommendation comes in. For example, dozens of people will tell you on this forum that you absolutely don't have to worry about your diamond being in the hands of RockDoc for example, or Dave Atlas. And there are many such high integrity appraisers around, you just have to find them, and nothing aids the search like personal recommendations.

If you do have an appraisal done while-you-wait, I would suggest not standing over the appraiser's shoulder though. It would probably get on his nerves. I would be attentive, but discreet in your watchfulness. The main thing I am careful to do is never take the diamond out of the client's sight.

-----------
What should the appraisal say (what kind of format does it have)?
-----------

I would suggest searching until you find an appraiser who can supply the following foundational information:

Digital color photos
Plotting diagram of diamond's characteristics and
Key to symbols
Millimeter measurements
Actual carat weight if loose, estimated if mounted
Color
- Fluorescence
Clarity
Cut Class Ranking
- Total depth
- Table size
- Average crown height & angle
- Average pavilion depth & angle
- Girdle thickness
- Culet size
- Polish
- Symmetry
Description and weight of mounting
Ranking of mounting manufacture, workmanship & condition

This would be the minimum I would be content with. Some appraisers can also give you additional information with more advanced equipment, such as BrillianceScope results, IdealScope results, Hearts & Arrows results, Sarin information and DiamCalc information.

-----------
Will they have to remove the stone from its setting? Will they charge
us for resetting it?
-----------

Although information is always more accurate if obtained from a loose stone, an experienced appraiser can work around a set stone without having to remove it. It's not really good to unset and reset diamonds. The prongs can lose their "tension" after being stressed back and forth.

Gator

Rough_Rock
I highly recommend Richard Sherwood for appraisals. I had a stone sent to him to inspect that I had purchased from Whiteflash.com. I am lucky enough to live close to him and made the trip to visit him to go over the stone I picked out. He spent a great deal of time showing me the characterisics of the stone and leting me know whether I got a god deal or not. He's a very nice person to deal with and gives great advice, and I would trust him with any further appraisals.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
While we do many appraisals for people in distant places, we still offer, in-person, while you wait and watch appraisals, in our ofices. The conversations and interaction with clients gives us the best clues as to what is of importance to them. This is how we find out what our distant clients need, too.

The benefits of doing while you wait appraisals for those people who happen to be near enough to pay us a visit outweigh the downside which is a little extra time spent in chit-chat....

Arguments are extra, of course!

Talonnav

Shiny_Rock
Appraisals are great and all, but I'm guessing that your stone is loose? So, even with an appraisal you will NOT be able to insure it. I waited until I had picked out the setting before getting an appraisal. I took the diamond in a couple of days before the setting was to arrive. Then the jeweler, would be able to do whatever tests they need to do on a loose stone. They then set it and took pictures of the entire setting. Still waiting on the written appraisal which looks like a book from this particular jeweler.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results